Author Topic: Game of the Month: March 2024 - Jim Power  (Read 134 times)

geise

Game of the Month: March 2024 - Jim Power
« on: March 04, 2024, 09:39:28 PM »
JIM POWER

So this month is a run n' gun that has been on a ton of console and pc's in the early 90's. I have it on the amiga and it's basically Turrican. Even the music is by Chris H?lsbeck. The character animation also looks ripped from Turrican. The legs anyways. I don't know why but I've always wanted to give this version a whirl. For the 0 people that care here is a little synopsis: "Jim Power is the chief of the Special Warfare Unit in charge of the President's security. He is an unrivalled sharpshooter and is gifted with an incredible aptitude for detective work. Jim, urgently implored, accepts the mission of his life - to rescue the kidnapped President's daughter from the Mutant Planet, a terrifying world infested with evil beings. If you become Jim Power, you will face a challenge you never dreamed of, with the lives of millions of people in your hands. Combat evil, fight for justice and defy the Mutant Planet!"

Lol! Anyways give it a try. Enjoy!

Oh, Yes the first level music is a blatant rip off from Ys III. Chris even admitted to it decades ago. He has been a fan of Falcom's music. Still....he couldn't just change it up a bit more? Lol.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 09:53:22 PM by geise »

roflmao

Re: Game of the Month: March 2024 - Jim Power
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 02:32:36 AM »
I've always wanted to check this one out but never got around to it. I'm adding to my Miyoo Mini Plus now!

audreyhepburn

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 01:33:47 PM »
Was excited by the description on wikipedia since I'm also currently working on a run-and-gun. But beating a first stage has me not loving the controls... Maybe they'll grow on me.  ](*,)

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 09:27:05 PM »
I get this and Slime World confused at times.

Jim Power is 100% a "Euro" game, looks like it was ripped out of an Amiga. The game backgrounds look stellar but that jump mechanic (glitch?) is annoying. I would say the hit box is too big, but I already mentioned it's a European game. Music rocks. Only 5 levels as far as I know. Invincibility cheat was the only way I could see any level past 1 :)

I wonder why the publisher decided to port this game (and the other Micro World releases) out of all the possible computer games that were out there? Games like Baby Jo, Davis Cup Tennis, Kickboxing, Builderland and Slime, all must have been super cheap to acquire.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"