Author Topic: Game of the Month: November 2023 - Dead of the Brain 1&2  (Read 366 times)

geise

Game of the Month: November 2023 - Dead of the Brain 1&2
« on: November 08, 2023, 05:36:25 AM »
DEAD OF THE BRAIN

Alright! So I've played through the PC98 version quite a while ago. Now, thanks to Dave Shadoff we can play the first part in English. The translation just missed release before I started GotM last month so I'm going to do it now for November. It's not a very long title and I won't go into the story here. It's a decent story from what I remember of the pc98 version. There's also a x68k version, but it has not been translated. Anyways thanks again to Dave for translating this first part. Hopefully someone will do the second. Dave sadly said it's too much to do for him now and someone else needs to do it. Hope you all enjoy this one. It's one of the last releases for the PCE, but you all know that. Enjoy.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Game of the Month: November 2023 - Dead of the Brain 1&2
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 09:19:54 AM »
Noice!  I bought this years ago, hoping for a translation to be released soon thereafter, but it sadly didn't happen.  Now's my chance!  It looks to have some sweet (if grim) art, at least in the manual.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

audreyhepburn

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 08:06:25 AM »
DEAD OF THE BRAIN

Alright! So I've played through the PC98 version quite a while ago. Now, thanks to Dave Shadoff we can play the first part in English. The translation just missed release before I started GotM last month so I'm going to do it now for November. It's not a very long title and I won't go into the story here. It's a decent story from what I remember of the pc98 version. There's also a x68k version, but it has not been translated. Anyways thanks again to Dave for translating this first part. Hopefully someone will do the second. Dave sadly said it's too much to do for him now and someone else needs to do it. Hope you all enjoy this one. It's one of the last releases for the PCE, but you all know that. Enjoy.

There is a PC98 English version? Or was it a fan translation as well?

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 06:51:45 AM »
I think just a fan translation you could play the PC98 or PCE CD version, we're not picky on how peeps participate!  Just play along and carry on the chatter! :)  (looks at self who barely ever plays the monthly games!)   :cook:

Looks like you can get your own translated patches/downloads here: redacted

English:

Released By Dave Shadoff
Status Fully Playable
Patch Version DotB1_1.0E
Release Date 30 October 2023
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 09:11:04 PM by Necromancer »

Gentlegamer

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 09:53:09 AM »
I think just a fan translation you could play the PC98 or PCE CD version, we're not picky on how peeps participate!  Just play along and carry on the chatter! :)  (looks at self who barely ever plays the monthly games!)   :cook:

Looks like you can get your own translated patches/downloads here: redacted

English:

Released By Dave Shadoff
Status Fully Playable
Patch Version DotB1_1.0E
Release Date 30 October 2023

I just obtained a TED Pro, this is a great candidate to bring the TG-16 out of mothballs.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 09:11:47 PM by Necromancer »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 09:12:33 PM »
There's very few rules here, but one of them is no ISOs or ROMS.

That is my go-to for stuff, though.  It's nice getting everything pre-patched, as I am le dumb and usually fuck it up.   :icon_cat_stoned:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 09:14:18 PM by Necromancer »

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2023, 08:07:38 AM »

That is my go-to for stuff, though.  It's nice getting everything pre-patched, as I am le dumb and usually fuck it up.   :icon_cat_stoned:

hahaha, so true- a simple goggle teh contempts and you have your ISOs/roms anyway! I got about an hour into it last night. kind of amazing so far. I'm enjoying the parallels to the 80s Return of the Living Dead movies so far!!

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 11:34:04 AM »
I got some time into this month's game last night also. I got to the hotel and... comforted Cathy. It did have to check the walkthrough for gouging the eye balls of the first zombie fight. The timer does give the game an exciting feel for the "combat". As with most digital comics, there is a lot of talking and re-talking to open up the paths...but having fun so far!

I did have to go though the extra hoops to patch the game, but it just took an extra few minutes (I'm playing on EMU so I can abuse save states)
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Gentlegamer

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 07:39:41 PM »

I've been filing up my SD card with pre-patched ROMs/ISOs from [REDACTED] for various systems recently, but mostly OBEY.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2023, 11:58:35 AM »
Got an ending, not that it's a hard game. It lets you continue right where you die...it's just a lot of "click everywhere" to trigger the story.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Naniyue

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2024, 02:31:10 AM »
I . . . HAAAAAAATTTTEEEEE . . . .

:boom: :twisted: :boom:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TIME LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:boom: :twisted: :boom:

I played the MSX version (on my DS!), but I don't recall stupid time limits!

Did I forget to mention that I HATE time limits?

Naniyue

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2024, 03:01:48 AM »
On a better note . . .

I like it well enough.  It suffers from the usual problems of this type of game, but the first person view makes you feel like you are there.

While this game is certainly gory, I think Snatcher is far scarier.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2024, 12:50:23 AM »
It took me a few months (LOL) but I finally finished this one today.  The lack of an English patch and the plethora of timed events that can kill you, makes the 2nd game much harder to complete; hopefully some day someone will patch the sequel.