Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 89609 times)

chany60126

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #1410 on: April 26, 2012, 04:47:45 PM »
Playing through this one really reminded me of The Guardian Legend, which I own for the NES, and loved as a kid but have not played through in many years. You can definitely see the similarities in the two games, especially the eyeball mid-boss and the stage 8 skull boss with the eyes. I think I recognized some of the sound effects too. I understand Compile developed both games, which would explain the similarities.

Congratulations! I loved how graceful (and unexpected!) the final boss "lady" was....the world needs more games with elegance like that!

Yep, definitely! It was kind of a nice touch after such a hellish level. The very final part was a little frantic though.

Any recommendations on US shmups with comparable difficulty? Sadly I've got a bunch of TG and PCE hueys that have been neglected since I bought them, but now that I have some more time I plan on finally giving them a go. With the exception of Deep Blue and Sinistron, I think I've got every other US shooter (some are PCE versions though). I'd like to work my way up in difficulty.

Cyber Core is another game that eases you through the first few levels like Blazing Lazers, but then gets hectic later on around stage 5 or 6. It's a very underrated game IMO. I love the bug theme power-ups. :)
SignofZeta: What a quintessentially PCEFX thread. Someone complains about nothing, multiple Bible-length posts discussing who's a bigger a$$hole follow. You're both pretty big a$$holes. Let's call it a tie.

jperryss

« Reply #1411 on: April 27, 2012, 05:51:11 AM »
Cyber Core is another game that eases you through the first few levels like Blazing Lazers, but then gets hectic later on around stage 5 or 6. It's a very underrated game IMO. I love the bug theme power-ups. :)

I definitely remember Cyber Core being one that I liked and probably gave up on way too quickly. I think I'd bought a bunch of PCE games at the same time as this, which didn't help. I will pop this one in in the next day or two. Thanks!

KingDrool

« Reply #1412 on: April 27, 2012, 06:06:57 AM »
I busted out Psychosis again last night and played for a good while. Only the second time I've played the game, and I'm glad I went back to it. The music's sorta annoying, but in a good way. It fits the whole theme of the game pretty well. I love the effect of the power-ups bursting in from "behind" the screen, and the enemies are just f*cked up. Also in a good way.

The game's not "great", by any means, but it is one of the most unique shmups I've played; especially thematically.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

roflmao

« Reply #1413 on: April 27, 2012, 06:39:53 AM »
I spent some time last night playing Kyukyoku Tiger, and I'm getting better at it! :)  Made it to Stage 5 before reaching the continue screen.  That helicopter take-off sound is pretty rad.  I'm surprised it never had a US release, since it was released for the NES and Genesis.

esteban

« Reply #1414 on: April 28, 2012, 06:29:53 AM »
I busted out Psychosis again last night and played for a good while. Only the second time I've played the game, and I'm glad I went back to it. The music's sorta annoying, but in a good way. It fits the whole theme of the game pretty well. I love the effect of the power-ups bursting in from "behind" the screen, and the enemies are just f*cked up. Also in a good way.

The game's not "great", by any means, but it is one of the most unique shmups I've played; especially thematically.

Yes, I agree that Psychosis has a lot of personality—if only the game itself were better!

At the very least: Psychosis > Bravoman's horizontal shoot-em-up

|    | 

vestcoat

« Reply #1415 on: April 28, 2012, 04:25:37 PM »
I logged more time on Impossamole today than ever before (about an hour). The bad hit detection reminds me of Legendary Axe. While LA overcame this flaw by keeping the onscreen enemies to a minimum and giving them predicable attack patterns, the enemies in Impossamole are limitless, fast, and mostly unavoidable.  Were it not for the shitty hit detection and relentless baddies, Impossamole would be a good game.  The music and grafx are solid, the play control is good as far as jumping and moving are concerned, there's plenty to explore, and they even put in a cute little intro. Reading the manual, I was happy to learn that stages can be played in any order by pressing the select button, allowing players to reach an impasse on ALL of the stages before permanently shelving the game. In all seriousness though, I have a new respect for poor old Monty and beating the first level was kind of fun.

Also played Space Harrier, Legendary Axe, and Outrun on "hard" for the first time.

At the very least: Psychosis > Bravoman's horizontal shoot-em-up
And Shockman's shooting levels!

Lilgrafx

« Reply #1416 on: April 28, 2012, 06:17:36 PM »
Bonks Adventure to 3rd level boss, Blazing Lazers to 9th level with out dying and then... bam! Deja Vu

Keith Courage

« Reply #1417 on: April 28, 2012, 07:22:46 PM »
I am playing Veigues Tactical Gladiator. I keep dying on the last boss cause the level itself tears me up on the way there.

motdelbourt

« Reply #1418 on: April 28, 2012, 07:45:54 PM »
Aldynes, first play ever. Made it to the first boss. Took a lot of tries but finally became his boss.

Lilgrafx

« Reply #1419 on: April 29, 2012, 10:55:37 AM »
BLAZING LAZERS COMPLETED!!!!! YES!!!!! It was my first time making it to the final boss, and compared to the actual level the boss is a cake walk. When I saw the closing cinematic I had chills going down my spine. BL was the first game I ever bought and to finally complete feels amazing.

jperryss

« Reply #1420 on: April 29, 2012, 12:03:21 PM »
BLAZING LAZERS COMPLETED!!!!! YES!!!!!

Nice!

420GOAT

« Reply #1421 on: April 30, 2012, 12:20:55 PM »
sidearms just got it today...one my all time favorite arcade games.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

joeawesome

« Reply #1422 on: May 01, 2012, 06:29:25 AM »
Last game I played was Gate of Thunder. No matter how many times I beat it (on easy), it's still fun. And I love the last level's music. Easily the catchiest tune I've heard on the system.

tpivette

« Reply #1423 on: May 01, 2012, 12:30:18 PM »
Just tried Ninja Spirit for the first time today, sadly, I couldnt make it past the second boss (the one who climbs trees)

Ive got the US Cadash, Street Fighter 2, Ninja Gaiden, and Castlevania X all coming in the mail soon. Can't wait to start playing that lineup!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Sadler

« Reply #1424 on: May 01, 2012, 01:04:16 PM »
Just tried Ninja Spirit for the first time today, sadly, I couldnt make it past the second boss (the one who climbs trees)

Definitely one of my favorites! :D For that boss I have the easiest time using powered up bombs. Honestly, unless there are a shit ton of projectiles coming my way, I find the powered up bomb to be the best weapon.