Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 88559 times)

roflmao

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #1425 on: May 01, 2012, 01:11:46 PM »
Yeah, I use the bomb weapon for all the bosses.  I find each of the other weapons is handy for different levels.  The sword is great for the first and second level, the grappling hook is good for the cliff climbing level, and the ninja stars are what I use for the   second to last level.  The bombs get full time duty on the last level and on the indoors level with those guys with the grappling hooks.  Oh I used to hate those guys...

If you ever get stuck, you can watch a playthrough I put on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLECCBEB9F498CF3AF&feature=plcp  It's not a perfect run ( I think I died twice...) but you can see how I got through the levels (what weapons I used) and how I defeated the bosses.  Others probably have different techniques, though.

EDIT: Today I've been playing Kyukyoku Tiger via Ootake trying to find a good way to record gameplay via emulator.  This game is too much fun. There's so much stuff on the screen trying to kill you!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:14:17 PM by roflmao »

roflmao

« Reply #1426 on: May 11, 2012, 09:50:03 AM »
I played through "The Mummies Curse" in Sherlock Holmes today. :D 

Haven't done that in probably 15 years.  I don't think I ever solved the other 2 mysteries.  And I don't know if I ever will. :P

thesteve

« Reply #1427 on: May 11, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »
R-Type

city41

« Reply #1428 on: May 11, 2012, 12:25:10 PM »
Just beat Ys 1. Taking a detour over to Dragon's Curse before tackling Ys 2.

cabbage

« Reply #1429 on: May 11, 2012, 01:49:45 PM »
I had been taking a break from my Cychorider addiction to cool down on some Bomberman '93... but I can't stay away forever...

Just beat Ys 1. Taking a detour over to Dragon's Curse before tackling Ys 2.
Great games, and interesting idea to stagger in Dragon's Curse. I tend to find myself losing steam and hardly wanting to finish about 2/3 of the way through Ys2 when I play them in succession. Dragon's Curse would make a nice diversion and probably Ys seems fresh again after that.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 01:53:11 PM by cabbage »

KingDrool

« Reply #1430 on: May 11, 2012, 04:14:34 PM »
Just played a bunch of Dynastic Hero. Why didn't anyone tell me Ocarina of Time ripped off its entire shtick from this game?
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

city41

« Reply #1431 on: May 11, 2012, 04:21:04 PM »
Great games, and interesting idea to stagger in Dragon's Curse. I tend to find myself losing steam and hardly wanting to finish about 2/3 of the way through Ys2 when I play them in succession. Dragon's Curse would make a nice diversion and probably Ys seems fresh again after that.

Yeah, I can't play through a series one after the other. Even if Ys 1 is very short. I'm the same way with books, movies, etc.

Dragon's Curse is a really great game. My first exposure to Wonderboy. Makes me want to pick the other Wonderboy games up.

roflmao

« Reply #1432 on: May 11, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »
R-Type
Reminiscent rant:

Back in my college days I rented a house with a bunch of high school friends and one of my housemates would come into my room every night to play R-Type on my TG-16.  This went on for months and he eventually made it to the last level (farther than I ever did, and ever will) and eventually gave up.  I think beer and Bomberman won him over, but it was awesome to see what the later levels looked like, as I never had the patience to get as far as he did.

thesteve

« Reply #1433 on: May 11, 2012, 04:49:32 PM »
i think im better now than 20 years ago.
ive been getting to the LVL4 boss, but dont recall the level at all

esteban

« Reply #1434 on: May 12, 2012, 01:45:25 AM »
Just played a bunch of Dynastic Hero. Why didn't anyone tell me Ocarina of Time ripped off its entire shtick from this game?

I think I still have notecards (buried under stamps, envelopes and discarded Plan-B packaging materials) with the little jingles you have to play: II, I, II, I, II, II, II, I, I, I, II, II, II...

Seriously, though, even though the tunes were short, I could never memorize them.  I had to write it down  

i think im better now than 20 years ago.
ive been getting to the LVL4 boss, but dont recall the level at all

You are referring, of course, to Hatris.

Speaking of Hatris, I firmly believe that if all of its art assests were re-purposed as a Galaga clone, I would absolutely LOVE the result.

On the flip side, I am not sure if R-Type's art assets would make for a good Tetris clone...

I logged more time on Impossamole today than ever before (about an hour). The bad hit detection reminds me of Legendary Axe. While LA overcame this flaw by keeping the onscreen enemies to a minimum and giving them predicable attack patterns, the enemies in Impossamole are limitless, fast, and mostly unavoidable.  Were it not for the shitty hit detection and relentless baddies, Impossamole would be a good game.  The music and grafx are solid, the play control is good as far as jumping and moving are concerned, there's plenty to explore, and they even put in a cute little intro. Reading the manual, I was happy to learn that stages can be played in any order by pressing the select button, allowing players to reach an impasse on ALL of the stages before permanently shelving the game. In all seriousness though, I have a new respect for poor old Monty and beating the first level was kind of fun.

Also played Space Harrier, Legendary Axe, and Outrun on "hard" for the first time.

At the very least: Psychosis > Bravoman's horizontal shoot-em-up

And Shockman's shooting levels!

I have beaten Impossamole many times and there is an odd sense of gratification that percolates through your flesh upon finishing the game. Sadly, though, it is not nearly as gratifying as it should be.

I kind of wish there was a debug mode where you could just play the bosses, or, for me, the final boss: the only reason I kept playing Impossamole was because I wanted to see the final boss again. The battle is pretty standard, but it was fun to see a "huge" oppononent that didn't fit on the screen. Granted, the character design of the final boss is basic (not nearly as interesting, detailed or animated like Jagu from Legendary Axe), but it was a small drill in a no-frills platformer.

I agree that this had the potential to be an OK game, but I would have wanted vastly more interesting character designs for the enemies!!! The enemies were not nearly as captivating, as, say, Hatris. I'm serious. The derbies and berets in Hatris are more alluring.

Impossamole could have been a charming little game.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 02:38:09 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

BlueBMW

« Reply #1435 on: May 12, 2012, 03:00:18 AM »
Pulled out Valis 1 on PCE for the first time last night.  It seemed a lot better than Valis II to me...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1436 on: May 12, 2012, 04:26:09 AM »
I attempted another run at Victoly Run earlier today.

I'm amazed to see my opinion is still the same as it was 9 years ago.

It sucks.

Lilgrafx

« Reply #1437 on: May 12, 2012, 04:47:33 AM »
Ninja Spirit complete! I got this as a Christmas present two years ago, one of the best platformers on the system

KingDrool

« Reply #1438 on: May 12, 2012, 05:18:09 AM »
I may be nuts, but I still like Impossamole. Yeah, there are a lot of things about it that suck, but I learned to "play around" those things. It got to the point where I'd adjust my gameplay to the quirks of the game and eventually finished it. It wasn't easy, but it worked.

And that music...dear god...
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

city41

« Reply #1439 on: May 12, 2012, 06:01:13 AM »
haha, I was pleasantly surprised by Victory Run. It's way better than I expected it to be, and having to drive carefully so your parts don't all disintegrate is a cool twist.