Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91513 times)

VenomMacbeth

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #2460 on: July 15, 2013, 01:29:34 PM »
Getting my feudal Japan on with Ninja Spirit & Genpei Toumaden.

EDIT:  I actually just beat Genpei for the first time!  What an awesome game.  The turbo controller really helps with making longer jumps.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:07:07 PM by VenomMacbeth »
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

turboswimbz

« Reply #2461 on: July 16, 2013, 10:02:27 AM »
Time Cruise -  very intresting game.  While not terrible it does not live up to the naxat games (IMO of course)  But it was a nice little surprise as compared to Impossimole and Night Creatures.  The game is worth a try for sure, and can be fun, but it was lacking in the replay value for me. 

All in all 3 games that were screaming to be great, they had all the pieces there, But just fell short due to programming.  I mean with a little more time and effort each of these games could have produced really decent games, instead all they have is cool ideas, mediocre game play, and poor controls and physics. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Bardoly

« Reply #2462 on: July 16, 2013, 10:34:03 AM »
I finally finished Neutopia a few weeks ago. I've been playing Order of the Griffon, and just started Image Fight. I played a bit of Raiden so I won't totally embarrass myself at VGS I'm really loving it though :dance: kinda surprised as I'm not really a shoot em up player.

What a coincidence!  I too studied up on some Raiden during the week. Unfortunately I was unable to avoid the embarrassment of failing over and over again... :(  AND, I no longer ever wish to own Battle Load Runner.

Played some Dragon Egg (Thanks Matti!!), Raiden, Monolith, and even a dash of that damned Rabio Lepus Special! 

Awwww...   :-({|=  Battle Lode Runner wasn't THAT bad, now was it?  I played it for the first time as well, and couldn't win even one round, but I still want to get it.  :o  Didn't you also get in on the Revival Chase fun, too?

syphic

« Reply #2463 on: July 16, 2013, 11:12:44 AM »
Still getting my ass checked by Aldynes. Ugh.
Awesome trades and deals with:
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Nullity, Jtucci31, sirhcman,  Elderboroom, dicer

Bardoly

« Reply #2464 on: July 18, 2013, 09:28:25 AM »
My friend and I knocked down Tailspin a couple of days ago over the course of two evenings.  It really isn't too bad.

Don't be afraid to give it a try.  Below is the comment that I posted on PCE Daisakusen regarding this game.

My friend and I beat this game recently.  This platformer is really not too bad.  It is definitely harder than the children who would have been watching the TV show that this is based on.  I must say, that after the first four platforming levels, the shoot-'em-up level and the spy/avoidance level were a bit of a surprise, but it came back in the end to a platforming level to wrap things up.

Anyway, give this game a chance, and remember that back in the day, because games were usually shorter, developers had to make games harder to compensate for that, so when compared to many, many other games released around the same time, the difficulty of this game isn't quite a bad.

I did have to rate this as a solid '5' out of 10, which in my book is completely average.

We also played some assorted other games, some of which were Override, Raiden, Super Raiden, Legend of Hero Tonma, etc...  All in all, a couple of evenings of Turbo fun!

RoyVegas

« Reply #2465 on: July 18, 2013, 10:32:58 AM »
Been playing Raiden a lot lately.  I do love almost every aspect of the game...... That however doesn't stop me from coming milliseconds from taking my beloved controller and throwing it through the f**king TV.  Damn the difficulty!   ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
All is well. :)

turboswimbz

« Reply #2466 on: July 18, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »
I was just playing some Super Raiden this morning as well.  8)  I really enjoy the game too.  Great amount of fun, But On the later levels I am horrible. 

Then again my Shoot em Up skills are in the "dude have you ever played retor games before?".  :shock:

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

esteban

« Reply #2467 on: July 20, 2013, 04:45:25 AM »
I was just playing some Super Raiden this morning as well.  8)  I really enjoy the game too.  Great amount of fun, But On the later levels I am horrible.  

Then again my Shoot em Up skills are in the "dude have you ever played retor games before?".  :shock:

Been playing Raiden a lot lately.  I do love almost every aspect of the game...... That however doesn't stop me from coming milliseconds from taking my beloved controller and throwing it through the f**king TV.  Damn the difficulty!   ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

The later stages (7+) drive me crazy, but I usually f@ck up at some point in 4-6 that make me sigh out loud (ha!). I love/hate Raiden 

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:47:42 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Bardoly

« Reply #2468 on: July 20, 2013, 05:23:09 AM »
Are there any gameplay differences at all between Raiden and Super Raiden?  I know that the music is different.

esteban

« Reply #2469 on: July 20, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »
Are there any gameplay differences at all between Raiden and Super Raiden?  I know that the music is different.

Two extra stages tacked on Super Raiden, the music is simply orchestral arrangements of regular chiptunes.

For the most thorough review of a Super Raiden, search for elnino's review of it...wait, was that his name? FUDGE! What was the dude's name?

TRYING TO SEARCH FORUMS...
  |    | 

esteban

« Reply #2471 on: July 21, 2013, 12:31:09 AM »

TRYING TO SEARCH FORUMS

Good luck with that.  :roll:

I know, right!?

UPDATE: It was rolins—that's the dude's name! Still searching...

Bardoly, you thought I had forgotten. You thought I had given up on you. YOU THOUGHT I HAD FORSAKEN YOU?! Hell, no!

UPDATE ON UPDATE: rolins explains Raiden vs. Super Raiden without any real spoilers

Oh, and this is how I found it, instantly (be sure to click "Only Forums")...

ASIDE: rolins is someone who I wish would return! He was a shoot-em-up fan, had an MSX, and always could be trusted with his insight on games.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 01:53:40 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

turboswimbz

« Reply #2472 on: July 21, 2013, 01:39:11 AM »
    Bardoly,  If you come across it get the SCD Raiden. While it plays Identical, the redone SFX and Music are worth it.  I also find the SCD scrolling to be a little nicer, but maybe I'm just going crazy there.  I have yet to beat either version so It's good to know that there is some extra levels.  Level 7 is as far as I've made it Thus far.  Later on in this game it gets rather hard,  The game throws as many enemies as humanly possible and several that come in close to fire and run away.  I noticed in that review that 9 and 10 up this. (great)

chany60126

« Reply #2473 on: July 24, 2013, 02:56:52 AM »
Been playing Outrun on the PC Engine. I must say it is a pretty solid port of the arcade. :)
SignofZeta: What a quintessentially PCEFX thread. Someone complains about nothing, multiple Bible-length posts discussing who's a bigger a$$hole follow. You're both pretty big a$$holes. Let's call it a tie.

esteban

« Reply #2474 on: July 24, 2013, 03:52:29 AM »
Been playing Outrun on the PC Engine. I must say it is a pretty solid port of the arcade. :)

I know I won't be this lucky, but I'm hoping to win the raffle for loose Outrun here in the forums. 
  |    |