Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91645 times)

Nando

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #2655 on: November 22, 2013, 07:11:08 AM »
I've been playing Ninja Spirit the past 2 days. I'm stuck on the last part before the final boss. I just can't seem to figure out the pattern while free falling. I keep getting impaled by swords !!!

As soon as you go off the cliff, move to the left.  It still takes a bit of air dancing at first, but you'll get to an area near the left wall that is clear all the way down.

EDIT: Here's a video I recorded a little while back that shows the level. This starts right at the cliff jump:
http://youtu.be/A0qI4lWIndY?t=33s

what does the text at the very beginning read?

awack

« Reply #2656 on: November 22, 2013, 09:29:49 PM »
Re: W-Ring

It's not that it is horrible, and others may like it but for me everything was just average. Average graphics, average sound, average gameplay, nothing special about level design, bosses are average to below average, there are 5 weapons but none are that cool and one overpowers every boss. There are a couple sort of cool spots but I was looking forward to the game and wasn't really impressed.

Completely agree.

esteban

« Reply #2657 on: November 22, 2013, 11:57:23 PM »
Re: W-Ring

It's not that it is horrible, and others may like it but for me everything was just average. Average graphics, average sound, average gameplay, nothing special about level design, bosses are average to below average, there are 5 weapons but none are that cool and one overpowers every boss. There are a couple sort of cool spots but I was looking forward to the game and wasn't really impressed.

Completely agree.

I tried this game years ago via emulation I but don't remember a thing about it now.

It is Le Sad to hear it is so helplessly mediocre.
  |    | 

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #2658 on: November 23, 2013, 04:00:40 AM »
How do you guys feel about Final Blaster?  It smells a bit of mediocrity, but I dunno...something about it appeals to me...
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

esteban

« Reply #2659 on: November 23, 2013, 04:27:38 AM »
How do you guys feel about Final Blaster?  It smells a bit of mediocrity, but I dunno...something about it appeals to me...

I like it. It has many generic aspects to it, but it isn't a cakewalk and certainly isn't an "overexposed" title that everyone has played (so you feel like you're unearthing levels that time has forgotten...even by shoot-em-up fans).

It grows on you.

Of course, keep in mind that Armed Formation F/Armed F Formation/F Armed/FArmed also grew on me (I like the stupid game).

They share many parallels (some moments of "inspiration", if we are being nice, but a majority of each game features totally generic mechanics/enemies/AI/etc.)

Yet, despite this mediocrity of presentation, you keep going back and want to get a little bit further, and then they start growing on you...
  |    | 

geise

« Reply #2660 on: November 23, 2013, 09:44:01 AM »

If it appeals to you that's all that matters.  I (along with punk) like Energy.  Others hate it, but if you find something you think you might like and it's cheap go for it.  You can always sell it latter if it's not your cup of tea.

pixeljunkie

« Reply #2661 on: November 24, 2013, 05:51:12 AM »
I've found that even some of the turds of the PCE/TG16 library I find some redeeming qualities in...enough to keep them.

That said, I am determined to complete Tale Spin lately. Read: masochist

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #2662 on: November 24, 2013, 06:59:05 AM »
Speaking of "turds"... I played a bit of Samurai Ghost yesterday.  Damn, I wish I could play that game on the normal difficulty setting.  I get to the level where you have to outrun the lava & usually die there, or the level after.  It's a shame, as some of the later boss fights are really cool.
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

esteban

« Reply #2663 on: November 24, 2013, 07:00:33 AM »
I've found that even some of the turds of the PCE/TG16 library I find some redeeming qualities in...enough to keep them.

That said, I am determined to complete Tale Spin lately. Read: masochist

Tale Spin.

One of these days I'll play it in earnest.

Speaking of "turds"... I played a bit of Samurai Ghost yesterday.  Damn, I wish I could play that game on the normal difficulty setting.  I get to the level where you have to outrun the lava & usually die there, or the level after.  It's a shame, as some of the later boss fights are really cool.

I love Samurai Ghost, but it is challenging. I still struggle on bits I know (dodging the cloud boss who has lightning...I forget to hit him! So I spend a long time dodging and never actually attacking!)

I haven't figured everything out, but there are different paths in the game (did you know you can jump over gates?! Yup, you can. It's not even that tricky. So, sometimes a second, hidden gate lies behind the initial one at the end of a level).

Our fellow forum member NinjaSpirit beat this damn game many years ago, in 1/100 of the time it took me. He made it his goal to beat the damn thing and was much better than I could have been.

Anyway, there is hope, but, if you're like me and don't use FAQs/guides/videos, well...damn, you're in for some work.   
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:10:12 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Phase

« Reply #2664 on: November 24, 2013, 10:34:25 AM »
Just started playing some Military Madness this weekend for the first time ...game ownz :D ..I'm addicted.
I like the music and sound but I have to keep the volume low for some reason ..to much repetition maybe?
Also I think the game would be a lot nicer with some damn color I know the story is on the moon but man its depressing, though not quite Legendary Axe 2 depressing :-#. I wish I would have bought this game back in the day. Also whats with time when playing this game, it must cause a problem with the space time continuum ..some sort of black hole? :-k

Are any of the remakes worth playing?

munchiaz

« Reply #2665 on: December 18, 2013, 05:19:19 PM »
Started playing Ys III today. big departure from Ys I & II but so far i really like it. Music is still just as bitchin as Ys I & II

johnnykonami

« Reply #2666 on: December 18, 2013, 05:31:34 PM »
I'm also playing through Military Madness, currently on RECTOS.  My first time playing through, and I love it, but some of those hard mode stages are a beast!  Finishing up a play through on Dragon's Curse as well, a game I beat dozens of times as a kid.  At the last boss.

technozombie

« Reply #2667 on: December 18, 2013, 10:52:39 PM »
I'm bouncing back and forth between Y's I&II and Soul Blazer on the SNES. My son loves the Y's music, and I'm finding the unconventional battle system to be pretty fun. After Xmas I think I'm going to buy Street Fighter 2.

NightWolve

« Reply #2668 on: December 18, 2013, 11:59:51 PM »
My son loves the Ys music,

Oh yeah, it's the best of any videogame I ever played. Nothing ever topped it overall - some tracks in FF games here and there mind you, but nothing overall. I recorded the best tracks from Ys I-III to cassette and used to listen to them in the car for years BITD. Of course now with my cell and a 16 GB card, I get to have 'em all the time in MP3 form.

This reminded me, here go some amazing fan arrangements of Ys tracks you likely enjoy. They are blindingly impressive!

http://www.ysutopia.net/special/fantracks/

I love the "02-Scaredsim-Medley-Morning" one; one minute into it is where it really gets good!

geise

« Reply #2669 on: December 19, 2013, 06:11:26 AM »
Nightwolve I loved it when you allowed us to use the CD Tracks from the turbo game into Ys Eternal on PC.  A very late thank you for that one.

BTW quite a few new guys in this thread.  Welcome!