Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91444 times)

esteban

What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #2970 on: August 23, 2014, 04:47:54 PM »
Been playing Air Zonk lately. It's weird, but I find it much more difficult than Blazing Lazers or any other vertical shooter. Haven't put enough time into I guess...or I'm just bad.

Sometimes, for no logical reason at all, I just struggle with some games.

DOCTOR HuCARD's PROGNOSIS: It's easy to lose track of bullets in Air Zonk, for example. So, until you become attuned to them, you'll be shrugging your shoulders and wondering why you suck. Unless, of course, you are Swiss...then you just suck.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Nothing, sadly.

Finally playing Ys book I and II for the first time, loving it!
Got a Turbo Duo two months back, audio was gimping on Gates Of Thunder, so didn't bother with Ys but miraculously tried Valis II last night and audio works, so excited!!!

I'm actually envious. I've replayed the game so many times, I'd love to be able to be a Virgin Again (Virginian).

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:52:29 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

neutopia6

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #2971 on: August 23, 2014, 05:16:06 PM »
Definitely feels like one of those games, couple hours in, level 24 and in Darm Tower, magnificent game, gonna beat ValiS II later. :D

johnnymad

« Reply #2972 on: August 23, 2014, 05:37:22 PM »
Sometimes, for no logical reason at all, I just struggle with some games.

DOCTOR HuCARD's PROGNOSIS: It's easy to lose track of bullets in Air Zonk, for example. So, until you become attuned to them, you'll be shrugging your shoulders and wondering why you suck. Unless, of course, you are Swiss...then you just suck.

Haha. Do you have a camera in my room or something? Definitely shrugged my shoulders every time I got hit.

galam

« Reply #2973 on: August 23, 2014, 06:20:58 PM »
I'm playing The Addams Family on Turbografx-CD.  I know most of you probably don't care for that game; but it's actually pretty fun.  Plus, it's the only Turbo CD game I have.  lol.  The game is really hard though.  So far, I could only go past the first part of the mansion.  I got to the part where you go down into the basement.  The game really throws annoying enemies at you, and you barely ever get hearts to refill your health.  Nothing like some old school difficulty.

+9.2 PTS. because Addams Family = your ONLY TG-CD (awesome)

I have yet to really give this game a chance. It just looked mediocre to me back in the day (before it was released). I know it has 100% more potential enjoyment than Ballistix, so I am not worried.

Your post, though, is going to inspire me to dig it out and play it. 

Addams Family is fun.  Once you get used to the pacing, and a bit of a knack for the controls, the mansion is fun to try and figure out the order of the rooms.  Everybody dismisses it because for some reason, they made you the family lawyer, Tully.  (Maybe securing the license to Dan Hedaya was all they could afford?)
Anyway, I really do love this game, one of my guilty pleasures.  As for the trek to Gomez, you are correct, it's hard as f*ck as you get deeper into the basement.  And wait until you get to the chains you have to pull at the end.  Unless you get lucky...

Back to what I'm playing...I just spent an hour with Tiger Road.

esteban

« Reply #2974 on: August 23, 2014, 06:25:12 PM »

I'm playing The Addams Family on Turbografx-CD.  I know most of you probably don't care for that game; but it's actually pretty fun.  Plus, it's the only Turbo CD game I have.  lol.  The game is really hard though.  So far, I could only go past the first part of the mansion.  I got to the part where you go down into the basement.  The game really throws annoying enemies at you, and you barely ever get hearts to refill your health.  Nothing like some old school difficulty.

+9.2 PTS. because Addams Family = your ONLY TG-CD (awesome)

I have yet to really give this game a chance. It just looked mediocre to me back in the day (before it was released). I know it has 100% more potential enjoyment than Ballistix, so I am not worried.

Your post, though, is going to inspire me to dig it out and play it. 

Addams Family is fun.  Once you get used to the pacing, and a bit of a knack for the controls, the mansion is fun to try and figure out the order of the rooms.  Everybody dismisses it because for some reason, they made you the family lawyer, Tully.  (Maybe securing the license to Dan Hedaya was all they could afford?)
Anyway, I really do love this game, one of my guilty pleasures.  As for the trek to Gomez, you are correct, it's hard as f*ck as you get deeper into the basement.  And wait until you get to the chains you have to pull at the end.  Unless you get lucky...

Back to what I'm playing...I just spent an hour with Tiger Road.

Tiger Road, along with Bravoman, are some of the few games I never beat.

But galam, your endorsement of Addams Family has convinced me to play it when I get back home. 
  |    | 

neutopia6

« Reply #2975 on: August 24, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »
Today's been a blast, beat Valis II, beat Y's book I, onto part II, can't believe I've never played this before aha.  :D

galam

« Reply #2976 on: August 24, 2014, 11:05:13 AM »
Today's been a blast, beat Valis II, beat Ys book I, onto part II, can't believe I've never played this before aha.  :D

I completed Valis 2 myself a few weeks ago. I never played it all the way through and i have a new appreciation for it.

esteban

« Reply #2977 on: August 24, 2014, 11:20:09 AM »

Today's been a blast, beat Valis II, beat Ys book I, onto part II, can't believe I've never played this before aha.  :D

I completed Valis 2 myself a few weeks ago. I never played it all the way through and i have a new appreciation for it.

It's an enjoyable, easy platformer that could have been SO MUCH MORE. I still like it.
  |    | 

neutopia6

« Reply #2978 on: August 24, 2014, 11:35:41 AM »
Yeah, Valis II was pretty easy, was my first time playing it, beat the game with four lives left lol.
I got number three as well, do you guys have a preference for which ones more enjoyable or challenging??

esteban

« Reply #2979 on: August 24, 2014, 11:49:18 AM »

Yeah, Valis II was pretty easy, was my first time playing it, beat the game with four lives left lol.
I got number three as well, do you guys have a preference for which ones more enjoyable or challenging??

III and IV are probably the best, but some crazy folks say Valis I PCE (which, ha!, was the last released) is better...but I don't think it is.

III = my fave
IV = has some neat moments! very polished overall! but not as "special" as III, to me, anyway.
  |    | 

neutopia6

« Reply #2980 on: August 24, 2014, 12:50:03 PM »
Okay cool, so Valis I is PC Engine seclusive?
What about IV??
Good to know aha, I look forward to number III.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #2981 on: August 24, 2014, 12:56:37 PM »
What about IV??

Should put that in your intro, I'd read it, I'd read the shit out of it. :3

galam

« Reply #2982 on: August 24, 2014, 01:08:23 PM »
What about IV??

I remember III having some pain in the ass jumps. Frustrating.

neutopia6

« Reply #2983 on: August 24, 2014, 01:39:16 PM »
Lol, I look forward to getting frustrated aha, been playing Y's book II for like six hours straight. XD

Black Tiger

« Reply #2984 on: August 24, 2014, 04:08:23 PM »
What about IV??

Valis "1" started out on Japanese computers. It was only the last entry released for PC Engine. There is also a version of it for Genesis.

Valis II has a super deformed version on Genesis as well.

Valis III is also on Genesis and very good.

Valis IV got a neutered port on SNES, but they at least gave it some original backgrounds.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum