Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91696 times)

schweaty

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3390 on: August 31, 2015, 09:01:42 AM »
picked up a copy of jackie chan last week and been playing the crap out of it like a roundhouse to the guts.

decided to re-enact drunken master in jackie's honor so i got drunk over the weekend and played it.  didn't get far, but it was fun.

BTW - anyone who says the NES version is better is insane.  its the same game but with vastly superior visuals.

Bardoly

« Reply #3391 on: August 31, 2015, 02:44:26 PM »
Clear #39 - Laser Soft Visual Collection Vol 2: Valis Visual Collection

I just got this in today, and I decided to watch this while organizing some of my games.  Here are my thoughts about this which I posted on PCE Daisakusen!

While it is difficult to rate this collection of all of the cinema screens from Valis II, Valis III, and Valis IV with it not being a game, I'm going to give this a '10 out of 10' since it does exactly what it should. Fans of the Valis series will enjoy this, while those who are not fans probably will not.

lukester

« Reply #3392 on: August 31, 2015, 03:10:52 PM »
I've played this game many times in the past, but I finally beat Bonk's Revenge! I usually died on the last level.

Such an awe-inspiring mix of colors, tunes, level design and goofy characters. Stellar from beginning to end.

I got 50 smilies on the second level, so I warped past the snow stage. Hopefully this still counts hehe.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3393 on: September 01, 2015, 04:01:44 AM »
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Bardoly

« Reply #3394 on: September 01, 2015, 06:25:37 AM »

Next up: elusive tennokoe bank and syscard clears!

Lol.

No, I don't feel that you'll be seeing any system cards clears from me any time soon.  I debated marking this one cleared, but since you actually have to do something - watch it for an hour or so, I decided that this non-game PC Engine product could be cleared.  There are many games which can be cleared in less time than it takes to watch this.

jtucci31

« Reply #3395 on: September 01, 2015, 06:30:19 AM »

For system card clears, like say the Arcade card, what if you beat every arcade card game? Including the SCD/Arcade games. I would say doing that would maybe warrant a clear. The other system cards would require you to beat every single CD/SCD game. Then you'd have gotten the full use of the card, right? :)

Bardoly

« Reply #3396 on: September 01, 2015, 06:41:14 AM »

For system card clears, like say the Arcade card, what if you beat every arcade card game? Including the SCD/Arcade games. I would say doing that would maybe warrant a clear. The other system cards would require you to beat every single CD/SCD game. Then you'd have gotten the full use of the card, right? :)

You know, that actually makes sense.  That must be why they put system card clears in there.   :mrgreen:

...Now, how to clear a Tennokoe Bank...   :-k :-k :-k

jtucci31

« Reply #3397 on: September 01, 2015, 06:43:52 AM »

You know, that actually makes sense.  That must be why they put system card clears in there.   :mrgreen:

...Now, how to clear a Tennokoe Bank...   :-k :-k :-k

Same as my previous answer. Play through every game that saves and save your games and transfer them onto every possible system US/JP/PAL at least once. Games must be beaten too. A bit more extensive.

EmperorIng

« Reply #3398 on: September 01, 2015, 12:59:01 PM »
Is there a more boring CD game than Gotzendiener? I don't know yet.

For a game so empty, lifeless, and slow, it's amazing that the PCE-CD still struggles to display all the damn nothing on the screen and frequently slows down and jitters. Unacceptable. Once I beat this trash (if I beat this), it is immediately going into the "sell" pile.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:00:55 PM by EmperorIng »

esteban

« Reply #3399 on: September 01, 2015, 01:03:27 PM »

Is there a more boring CD game than Gotzendiener? I don't know yet.

For a game so empty, lifeless, and slow, it's amazing that the PCE-CD still struggles to display all the damn nothing on the screen and frequently slows down and jitters. Unacceptable. Once I beat this trash (if I beat this), it is immediately going into the "sell" pile.

You must have one of the earlier, buggier releases.

In a recent thread it was revealed that poor Gotz had multiple pressings....and yet still some bugs remained.
  |    | 

EmperorIng

« Reply #3400 on: September 01, 2015, 01:07:46 PM »
Interesting news. Though I doubt the later pressings fixed the complete lack of content within the game.

It seems odd that the game struggles to display more than two character sprites at once.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if I have some bugged version that's missing a vital item, because I wandered around the same cave for an hour with no clue on how to proceed (possessed enemies don't ignite torches, or do anything for that matter).

esteban

« Reply #3401 on: September 01, 2015, 01:10:09 PM »

Interesting news. Though I doubt the later pressings fixed the complete lack of content within the game.

It seems odd that the game struggles to display more than two character sprites at once.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if I have some bugged version that's missing a vital item, because I wandered around the same cave for an hour with no clue on how to proceed (possessed enemies don't ignite torches, or do anything for that matter).

No, it always felt unfinished to me ("empty", as you put it...)

http://archives.tg-16.com/Dengeki_PC_Engine_1994_12.htm

|    | 

EmperorIng

« Reply #3402 on: September 01, 2015, 07:10:38 PM »
Well, I beat Gotzendiener. The final area with all the moving treadmills was slowdown city.

Apparently I might have some bug copy where music doesn't play during the "final boss" room, so I just wailed on the enemy in weird silence.

It's not that it mattered since the enemies all behave the same (get knocked back when hit, then move back into position to being hit). I find it funny that some random mook that didn't even try to attack was the final obstacle between me and freedom.

Overall opinion: awful game. Little creativity outside of some visual design; if Gainax had a hand in it, it was their C-squad. I bet there are some out there that think all the useless and pointless items and interactions add "atmosphere," and that traversing a gigantic empty maze with little rhyme or reason behind progression (but plenty of slowdown) is "unique." These are probably the same people that love modern indie games like Dear Esther and Gone Home - well Gotzendiener has them all beat as the original shitty walking simulator.

It is hilarious that the game's case has the balls to throw around "RPG" on its description. Anyone who recommends this game is seriously nuts.

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #3403 on: September 01, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
Oh shit...I can smell Necro fuming all the way over here ._.
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

esteban

« Reply #3404 on: September 02, 2015, 02:24:04 AM »

Well, I beat Gotzendiener. The final area with all the moving treadmills was slowdown city.

Apparently I might have some bug copy where music doesn't play during the "final boss" room, so I just wailed on the enemy in weird silence.

It's not that it mattered since the enemies all behave the same (get knocked back when hit, then move back into position to being hit). I find it funny that some random mook that didn't even try to attack was the final obstacle between me and freedom.

Overall opinion: awful game. Little creativity outside of some visual design; if Gainax had a hand in it, it was their C-squad. I bet there are some out there that think all the useless and pointless items and interactions add "atmosphere," and that traversing a gigantic empty maze with little rhyme or reason behind progression (but plenty of slowdown) is "unique." These are probably the same people that love modern indie games like Dear Esther and Gone Home - well Gotzendiener has them all beat as the original shitty walking simulator.

It is hilarious that the game's case has the balls to throw around "RPG" on its description. Anyone who recommends this game is seriously nuts.

I love that you unabashedly bash the game, but I actually enjoyed it (despite its flaws, which I briefly pointed out).

Also, something tells me that some of the humor in the game went RIGHT OVER YOUR HEAD.

Wait?! What was that?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but you represent the profile of an "impatient stimulus seeker" who needs the volume at 11 (always) and hyper-kinetic action (always) otherwise..."nothing is happening"...

Am I harsh? Yes. Am I fair? No.

But I do feel that the mood and atmosphere in some games will be totally lost in you.

:)

TO CURE YOU OF YOUR "WALKING SIMULATOR" BLUES, I prescribe Monster Lair.

Go play Monster Lair...that game satisfies the "impatient stimulus seeker" in me: I get a new weapon every millisecond, I jump around constantly, I don't strategize which weapon I'll use on the boss (I'll use whatever weapon I have). Don't use turbo.

I'm serious, by the way. For any of its flaws, Wonderboy III: Monster Lair is friggin' awesome, under-appreciated.

Obviously, no cheating codes.

The game has a few default continues. You can use them.

|    |