Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91692 times)

esteban

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3465 on: September 19, 2015, 10:53:11 AM »
In our collective fantasy at pcefx, Old_Rover wins the lottery, thereby allowing him to finish Neutopia III and Lucretia.

:)
  |    | 

lukester

« Reply #3466 on: September 19, 2015, 12:06:19 PM »
Played some Aoi Blink today. Nice little platformer! Certainly a unique game for the era.

It's very laid back, and the world map is like Mario World where you can revisit old levels. And the wonderboy influence is prevalent too.

Not a 10/10 game, but it still stands out as a star.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3467 on: September 21, 2015, 06:29:14 AM »
Also, was is up with the horrible captchas in this site?!?

It only lasts for your first 10 (maybe 20) posts.

My one gameplay gripe with this game: The boss on the 7th labyrinth.  The fact that there's no way to kill him once 1/3 of your hit points are gone (and your fire power becomes too weak to reach him) is incredibly frustrating.  That's bad game design to force a player to die with the majority of their life still left over.  The boss isn't THAT difficult, but it's still the principle of the matter - even with two vitality potions, you're only able to beat the boss with effectively 2/3rds of a life bar when every boss prior has allowed you two full bars.

https://youtu.be/8YG2P4JevME?t=7451

Bad game design or bad tactics relying on fire instead of your sword.  :P
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

grolt

« Reply #3468 on: September 22, 2015, 04:54:29 AM »
My one gameplay gripe with this game: The boss on the 7th labyrinth.  The fact that there's no way to kill him once 1/3 of your hit points are gone (and your fire power becomes too weak to reach him) is incredibly frustrating.  That's bad game design to force a player to die with the majority of their life still left over.  The boss isn't THAT difficult, but it's still the principle of the matter - even with two vitality potions, you're only able to beat the boss with effectively 2/3rds of a life bar when every boss prior has allowed you two full bars.

https://youtu.be/8YG2P4JevME?t=7451

Bad game design or bad tactics relying on fire instead of your sword.  :P

Hey, thanks for that.  Definitely bad tactics on my end.  I tried a few times to hit him when he was moving around, and there's little difference in the animation between when he's moving and still, so I just assumed he'd be immune to the sword while stationary as he was moving.  That fight looked A LOT easier than I made it out to be the 2 or 3 times I did it with both vitality vials and constant dodging.  I don't think I had the strongest sword at that point yet though, so it might have been more of a struggle.  Good to know there is a reasonable way to defeat him though.  Still doesn't excuse the non-diagonal movement.:)

Yesterday the lady and I fired up AIR ZONK looking for a quick fix and ended up finishing it pretty quickly.  That's sure a short ride, but a hell of a fun one.  Awesome parallax with huge sprites, although the slowdown, especially as things ramp up towards the end, can become really bad.  The final level is wild, just one boss after the other and then sometimes they come back (like the Stephen King book!), making for quite the final showdown.  The final final boss is kind of cheap and extremely difficult once you've died once and lose your powerups - I basically had to rely on kamikaze-ing him with my after burners every time I'd respawn to take him out.  Love the variety in all the powerups and buddies and stuff, although the game has way too many of those crappy little dude powerups that almost always are less desirable than the big boy powerups (especially considering the latter ones give you an extra hit and the small guy doesn't).  They built a solid framework for a new franchise with this - shame that the sequel sounds like a major step down...

We also started up VALIS II after we finished with ZONK - it's nice playing as a strong female character (that wears far too little body armor to protect herself!) and the cut scenes are nicely staged and effective.  The levels and gameplay are pretty simple, but it's all satisfying and controls well enough.  The boss battles are pretty laughable, you just kind of stand there and hack away and kill the boss before it even starts to really get into any patterns.  It won't win any awards for complexity or level design, but it's a fun time and the experience is heightened by the presentation - the cut scenes are quality but the standout is the music, so many awesome tunes in that one!  We made it to Level 5 in a quick playthrough, and to my surprise looking it up this morning that's one level from the end...between this and ZONK that's two decently expensive games that each take less than an hour to complete.  Ah well, at least the gameplay is fun.  Looking forward to exploring the rest of the VALIS series after II is done - I've got III already (disc only, so if anyone has a manual/back insert you'd be a hero) but am eager to get the imports of I and IV soon (again, if anyone has a copy to sell I'd be paying).  Oh sweet, sweet Yuko...
I'm a notorious strange man.

lukester

« Reply #3469 on: September 22, 2015, 07:04:50 AM »
Valis is an oddball series. I don't like many of the games, though the better ones are Valis 1 PCE and Valis III Genny.

I haven't tried Valis IV yet, maybe thats alright.

Been playing some Tenchi Wo Kurau (Dynasty Wars) lately. It's a beatem'up by Capcom based on a Manga about ROTK. It's actually really good, and the stages are long, with detailed backgrounds and simple but fast gameplay. You ride a horse the whole time, and turn sides like in Sidearms with the two buttons, and you charge attacks regularly like in Twinbee.

It's also the only home port of the game :)

EmperorIng

« Reply #3470 on: September 22, 2015, 12:28:49 PM »
Valis II is about as 5/10 as you can go - nice presentation but fairly unremarkable. The bosses are complete jokes (my favorite being the borderline retarded Haizen the Ruthless "twirl-till-you-drop" attack routine).

Valis IV, playing more of it, does some things right (by having level design, for one) but it has such awfully cheap enemy placement that it drives me nuts. So many enemies just exist to "gotcha!" right at a ledge, sending you to a quick death.

Valis III does this as well, and is annoying, but it is at least a shorter game, with shorter levels. This makes me lose a lot of my patience with Valis IV.

Valis I is a good game, though the bosses are still unbalanced for dealing with them with anything less than full power.

Damon Plus

« Reply #3471 on: September 22, 2015, 09:35:05 PM »
Nightmare Creatures. It has some interesting ideas, and it's not easy to find an adventure game for the turbo, but it definitely has some quirkyness in its controls. It's not well polished in that area.

reno5

« Reply #3472 on: September 23, 2015, 01:26:01 AM »
Playing Legendary Axe when i have few minutes to spare

Koop

« Reply #3473 on: September 23, 2015, 02:09:38 AM »
Played some Bomberman last night, pretty much my favorite version of the game on PCE. I just recently got a whole bunch of games along with a composite modded PC Engine so I'm having a blast playing some great games.

johnnykonami

« Reply #3474 on: September 23, 2015, 05:00:32 PM »
Gave Neo Nectaris a quick spin today.  Just played the first map, but I'm already digging all the little improvements (which are great because the original game is already so cool to begin with).  I love the little animation for the Munkusu/Charlies when they run up to ready for a skirmish.  All of the units look a little more refined all around.  The music is great and full of booming, powerful themes.  And to top it all off, I finally have my own copy of the original game built in as an extra.  Awesome.  I still need to beat that, though, I was 3/4s through the hard campaign when I stopped, so I'll make sure to do that before I get started on the Neo maps.

esteban

« Reply #3475 on: September 23, 2015, 10:31:52 PM »

Gave Neo Nectaris a quick spin today.  Just played the first map, but I'm already digging all the little improvements (which are great because the original game is already so cool to begin with).  I love the little animation for the Munkusu/Charlies when they run up to ready for a skirmish.  All of the units look a little more refined all around.  The music is great and full of booming, powerful themes.  And to top it all off, I finally have my own copy of the original game built in as an extra.  Awesome.  I still need to beat that, though, I was 3/4s through the hard campaign when I stopped, so I'll make sure to do that before I get started on the Neo maps.

Definitely beat the original first.

There are some classic, crazy battles in the original.

I wish there had been a true sequel to Neo Nectaris...even if it was the exact same game but loaded with tons of new campaigns.
  |    | 

gheebee

« Reply #3476 on: September 24, 2015, 04:07:49 AM »
I've been working on New Adventure Island off and on since I got it and finally made a bit of progress the other day by getting to level 5-3! The game is brutally hard for me but hopefully someday I'm able to beat it.

reno5

« Reply #3477 on: September 24, 2015, 04:15:50 AM »
I've been working on New Adventure Island off and on since I got it and finally made a bit of progress the other day by getting to level 5-3! The game is brutally hard for me but hopefully someday I'm able to beat it.

i popped it in yesterday and had a few minutes of fun with it. It's on my "need to find time for" list !

gheebee

« Reply #3478 on: September 24, 2015, 05:17:57 AM »
i popped it in yesterday and had a few minutes of fun with it. It's on my "need to find time for" list !

For me it is better if I play the game gradually by shutting it off after I get Game Over 3 or 4 times; when I first got it I was determined to beat it but it seemed like the longer I played in one sitting the less progress I would make. Of course a lot of that has to do with the fact that games tend to annoy me when I have to keep playing the same level over and over again so others may fare better with this. You really have to memorize some of the levels in this game!

johnnykonami

« Reply #3479 on: September 24, 2015, 06:02:26 AM »

Definitely beat the original first.

There are some classic, crazy battles in the original.

I wish there had been a true sequel to Neo Nectaris...even if it was the exact same game but loaded with tons of new campaigns.

Oh, of course!  I am far too anal retentive to ever just skip ahead.  I just wanted to preview it a little.  I'm on Deshta in the original so I think I'm pretty close to the end.  I found your webpage not too long ago, so unless it's some other Esteban (we have six people with that name in my house right now, so probably), you seem to be the premier super fan for Nectaris.  I'll have to try out Earth Light one of these days on your recommendation.   

I was thinking about it, back in the day I really liked Vasteel, buying different mech units from factories and moving them around hexagon based maps.  Of course I still love it, but it's not really a strategy game as much as it is an action game.  I don't remember having to consider the strengths and weaknesses of the units all that much, just had to perform well in the battle sequences.  Stylistically, I have a lot of love for that game, the Jazz Fusion soundtrack, dozens of different little mechs, and the hex maps all appealed to me.  Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I didn't really play what I consider to be a real strategy game until Iron Storm on the Saturn, which I really enjoyed.  (I've since gone back and tried a few of the other Daisenryaku titles as well).  That game was for reals, yo.  Knee deep in unit specs and terrain considerations.  A few years later my buddy picked up Advance Wars on the GBA and introduced me to it, and then I went nuts playing AW1 and AW2.

I didn't own Military Madness as one of my original childhood TG-16 games, and considering how much I love the genre now, it's a shame I didn't realize it sooner because I could have playing one of the best ones years ago.  I would still like to get a CIC MM one of these days, but having Nectaris included on the NN disc takes off the sting a little until I can swing it.  I think I also wanna grab Nectaris GB one of these days (I've played it a little.)