Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91699 times)

EmperorIng

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #3525 on: October 25, 2015, 03:58:17 PM »
Playing a bit more of Auleria, basically seeing if I can beat it quickly and then sell it.  8-[

I like the game's aesthetics a whole lot, and the decent graphics + great music is a good way to keep me playing - though half the screen is taken up by a HUD, which lessens the "wow" of everything...

The single biggest inhibitor of enjoyment is the sheer amount of text to battle in order to progress the story. Moving the story along alone is half the challenge as it seems that areas only open up after talking to everyone around the map a few times.

It's quite confusing to go from map to map selecting choices that look visually similar, or opening an altogether too-complicated inventory system to use items you are not even sure what they do outside of experimentation. The item shops are annoying in that they do not tell you if the weapons you are buying are better or worse than what you already have, compounding the problem of picking out gear in a language not your own...

I hope the game is short so these language problems are offset.

blueraven

« Reply #3526 on: October 25, 2015, 04:43:31 PM »
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

EmperorIng

« Reply #3527 on: October 29, 2015, 05:45:17 AM »
I am pleasantly surprised that the PCE port of Kiki KaiKai is not a straight port but includes remixed levels with branching paths. I was not expecting that so booting up the game past level 1 was nicely satisfying.

Using autofire to quick-kill bosses doesn't work the same way because the turbo isn't as fast as MAME can be. This is a shame because you are far better served surviving the game by offing the bosses as fast as possible.

Punch

« Reply #3528 on: October 29, 2015, 05:59:24 AM »
I'm challenging myself to beat Altered Beast CD... on a Duo. I'm sure I won't beat it soon but whatever it is kinda fun to play the game like avoiding the power orbs like that.

csgx1

« Reply #3529 on: October 29, 2015, 07:34:09 AM »
I have to try that Altered Beast CD challenge again.  The farthest I was able to get to was the 2nd level plant boss.  It's tough and it takes a lot of time to get through a single level. 

I been playing Ghouls 'N Ghosts on the Supergrafx and got through the first loop for the first time. 

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3530 on: October 29, 2015, 08:20:50 AM »
HyperWars

sn0zc0r3

« Reply #3531 on: October 29, 2015, 02:25:04 PM »
Just got Lords of Thunder and I'm playing it through Magic Engine with a lightbox attached to the back of the tv. It doesn't add too much for this one, but it sure makes the intro look goddamn awesome.

shawnji

« Reply #3532 on: October 30, 2015, 04:17:42 PM »
Playing Cotton on my Duo for the first time, as I got my very own copy of the Japanese version at long last.  I also finally got to the fifth stage.  I had a ridiculously long power-up bar and was blasting my way through everything until a stupid grim reaper hit me from behind.  It was all downhill from there...  I suck at shooters, but man do I love this one.  It's really addictive.

Jason_dicarlo85

« Reply #3533 on: October 31, 2015, 07:25:29 AM »
Right now enjoying myself some bomberman and neutopia... My five year old is loving him some air zonk

Bardoly

« Reply #3534 on: November 01, 2015, 07:56:10 AM »
Liquid Kids and Genji Tsushin Agedama - I'm going to beat them eventually.

CatPix

« Reply #3535 on: November 02, 2015, 01:21:27 AM »
Dracula X - I've completed 96% of the game. Just gotta beat Dracula with damn dumb whipping Belmont jerk :D

(Dracula beaten by a 12 years old girl - I love you Japan   :mrgreen:)

geise

« Reply #3536 on: November 02, 2015, 08:01:16 AM »
Dracula X - I've completed 96% of the game. Just gotta beat Dracula with damn dumb whipping Belmont jerk :D

(Dracula beaten by a 12 years old girl - I love you Japan   :mrgreen:)
Yeah the game is so much easier with her.  I like some of Richter's special attacks a lot more though. 

lukester

« Reply #3537 on: November 02, 2015, 11:41:36 AM »
Bonk's Revenge!! I think this is my 5th time beating it.

As someone who grew up with many AAA Nintendo platformers on the GBA (such as Mario World, DKC, Kirby, Yoshi's Island), I am still astonished at how much soul is packed into this little gem.

It may not be as long as those games, but there's an impressive amount of exploration packed in, even in the more linear levels. The enemy variety is excellent and I still can't get enough of the hamburgers and the butthead Bonk.

Even the bonus levels are fun, and I usually hate mini games.

I think Bonk 1 has the best atmosphere and Bonk 3 has the best exploration/boss fights, but Bonk 2 is overall the best package.

pixeljunkie

« Reply #3538 on: November 02, 2015, 03:02:02 PM »
Power Golf 2, because it's rad. Also, started up Sword Master again...really wish I could find a guide for it. Right Stuff always have the best cut scenes. Sword Master is super polished.

grolt

« Reply #3539 on: November 03, 2015, 02:19:51 AM »

Power Golf 2, because it's rad. Also, started up Sword Master again...really wish I could find a guide for it. Right Stuff always have the best cut scenes. Sword Master is super polished.

I've heard a lot of love here for Power Golf 2 - what makes it so good? I've played the first game a few times and have had a lot of difficulty finding consistency with the timing of the power bar - if you're off the slightest bit it's off to the woods for your Titleist...
I'm a notorious strange man.