Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91501 times)

EmperorIng

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #4230 on: October 05, 2017, 10:49:28 AM »
The only one I really like is the Genesis one because the shitty USA box art is retardedawesome.

And he's shitting on Yuji Kaida's
MD artwork as well?! Check yourself into the nearest mental hospital man. :P

lukester

« Reply #4231 on: October 05, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
GnG only gives 3 continues on the Supergrafx, and the sound is somehow worse! Sad!

gex

« Reply #4232 on: October 05, 2017, 01:09:47 PM »

yeah it's the best on that thing with a shit joystick and pressing up to jump.   
:-" Pressing up to jump is pretty f*cked up :-"

fragmare

« Reply #4233 on: October 05, 2017, 05:36:31 PM »
For, uh, chiptune research purposes  ;)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #4234 on: October 06, 2017, 05:23:47 AM »
The only one I really like is the Genesis one because the shitty USA box art is retardedawesome.

And he's shitting on Yuji Kaida's
MD artwork as well?! Check yourself into the nearest mental hospital man. :P

I wasn't shitting on his art.   I just mean I only like the genesis one because the box art looks f*cking stupid.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

MisterCrash

« Reply #4235 on: October 07, 2017, 12:08:28 PM »
I played some Legend of Hero Tonma today. First time I played it months ago, I somehow couldn't get past the first boss. I must have hit him a hundred times and he didn't go down, and eventually  I had to quit.  This time, I beat him in about ten seconds.

I have the Japanese version, and didn't realize that the text between stages was in English (since I never got past the first stage before). Is there any difference between this and the US version?

EmperorIng

« Reply #4236 on: October 07, 2017, 06:17:01 PM »
Not that I know of. They didn't even bother to fix the Engrish... I guess they never must regret it later. It feels as if all they did was change the cool box art (already western-inspired) into something far lamer for the Turbo, which is par the course.

The first boss is tricky since only his head can be hurt. Having the wave power-up means you need to jump in order to get that arc just right.

I beat the game without continues earlier this year (or late last; can't remember). What a great time! It's one of the best action-platformers on the system, imo.

I myself beat Gomola Speed today. I had this game for a little while and only recently put in the effort to beat it. I don't know if I am totally sold on the snake "eat the fruit" mechanics, which seem very fiddly, right to the end. Likewise with the movement, which seems overeager to set you on a collision course with an enemy. I can't knock the game for its creativity though. UPL was a company that made its name combining odd game mechanic ideas together and wrapping them up in a unique aesthetic (usually meshing cutesy chibi with HR Giger bio-mechanical horror!), and Gomola carries that torch pretty proudly.

Some of the maze levels can be pretty tedious, but many offer some neat mixture of adventure and dungeon-crawling, with puzzle thrown in for good measure. I'm so glad the game has a number of neat boss fights to punctuate the action. The final couple are pretty fierce encounters, though it feels too easy to get hit by some of the huge sprites or projectiles. The ending is pretty damn lame though, ha - although the curtain call cast-and-characters thing is always welcome for me.

Neat note that the game allows you to access the developers' debug mode, which makes for some nice messing around: putting your sprite where it's not supposed to be, warping to levels (or non-levels) that were on the cutting room floor (or stuff like the title screen as a navigable space!). It's always interesting when games let you see what's "under the hood."

EmperorIng

« Reply #4237 on: October 08, 2017, 01:36:01 PM »
Beat Gomola Speed again today! This time in one sitting. Getting more familiar with the game helped me appreciate it a bit more. I still am not crazy about of few of the maze boards, but at least knowing where to go and where to bomb means they are over quickly.

I survived without using a continue up until round 15 (out of 25), which was pretty pleasing to me. I was hoping to get further, especially since I was close to one of those bonus rounds that give 1UPs. Stupid deaths...

I found out something that I don't know if others knew about Gomola Speed. Typically you are limited to 3 continues. However, there is a way to increase that amount in-game, with no cheats! Have you ever seen those little yellow ball critters (I think called "Ve" or something like that in the game's lineup) - yellow ball, eyes - with an S icon? Well, usually if you "eat" them, you get nothing (just a word bubble expressing frustration, it seems like). But! If you shepherd these yellow balls to the level's "EXIT" square, it will grant you another continue! I was able to get two (I missed a third) in my play. Really cool "secret" (maybe not-so secret?) to uncover.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #4238 on: October 08, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »
So I have been replaying some Bonk 3 (Hu card) lately.

All kinds of fun. Oddly still enjoy the second game most.

lukester

« Reply #4239 on: October 09, 2017, 06:19:04 PM »
So I have been replaying some Bonk 3 (Hu card) lately.

All kinds of fun. Oddly still enjoy the second game most.

Bonk 2 is a complete package, a special game that gets too little love outside of the turbografx fan base. The structure of Sonic 2 with the fun factor of super Mario world. Shame 3 and super have issues.  Super bonk 2 is the bonk 3 we deserved.

Anybody play Liquid Kids? That game is a stone cold classic that I play religiously along with Bonk 2, super dodgeball and mr heli
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:22:24 PM by lukester »

MisterCrash

« Reply #4240 on: October 09, 2017, 11:59:37 PM »
I've played Liquid Kids on the Saturn, but haven't tried it on the PC Engine. Any idea if the versions are different?

EmperorIng

« Reply #4241 on: October 10, 2017, 01:33:07 AM »
I've played Liquid Kids on the Saturn, but haven't tried it on the PC Engine. Any idea if the versions are different?

There are a number of differences, The game visually is stripped down on the PC Engine (as to be expected for a port to the system from the arcade). The number of levels present in the game were decreased: usually you get an end-of-stage "choose your next level" choice between two stages every level starting in world 2; in the PCE port it's only every other stage, and the stages they default you to (if you don't get to choose) are usually the "easier" of the two, if that makes sense.

The game plays fairly similar in a remarkable fashion (though I have a nagging feeling that the PCE port is a smidgen slower than the arcade), and it's impressive how much of the game they could fit on the PCE. Just about all the animations I remember are there, as are the boss fights, secrets, and such.

If for some reason you have a Saturn copy that's not to your liking, I'll gladly trade it to you for my HuCard  :wink:

lukester

« Reply #4242 on: October 10, 2017, 08:08:37 AM »
Empering is right, though there's one key difficulty difference in Liquid Kids

In the PCE version, fire will stay in one spot. In the arcade version, fire rapidly spreads across floors, walls and ceilings, making boss fights significantly harder.

MisterCrash

« Reply #4243 on: October 25, 2017, 12:48:04 AM »
I put in Air Zonk the other day, and made a startling discovery. The I button actually does something!

I don't have the manual, and when I had tried pushing I before, nothing happened, so I figured it was just a one-button shooter. I didn't realize I could HOLD the I button to unleash super fury.

I felt pretty stupid.

gheebee

« Reply #4244 on: October 31, 2017, 11:59:39 AM »
Finally remembered to play some Splatterhouse on Halloween and just beat the game. Such a great Halloween game, I really like everything in it even though level 6 often frustrates me. 

Happy Halloween!

...now back to movies.