Author Topic: new DUO sound issue!  (Read 652 times)

omnedon

Re: new DUO sound issue!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 10:05:23 AM »
What we need is someone with a week on their hands to replace every cap on the board, to see if it actually does solve the problem, or does it just eat the week and nearly 60 caps.

If I find out I will post. Can't sacrifice a weeks worth of repairs to find out this week.  :?
Contact chop5 for any NEC console services.

nat

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 11:30:56 AM »
I recently replaced every cap on my Duo's logic board. Didn't take me a week, but it took me about 3 hours. Unfortunately, I didn't have this problem prior to replacement.

My question to pose to you is this-- in cases where replacing known audio-related caps hasn't fixed a sound issue, did you try dishwashing the board afterwards to remove any leaked electrolytic? It's possible the problem in some cases could be caused by the leakage itself rather than the cap that leaked. That goo is conductive and could cause small electrical shorts resulting in elusive symptoms even after cap replacement.

Read the story of my Duo here, a tale that only ended upon deep cleaning of the logic board.

omnedon

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 07:54:12 AM »
I haven't tried that, but I will. It's a good idea.

Straight up cap replacement would not take a week. Cap replacement, one at a time, with a thorough sound test after each cap install (to isolate the exact source of the problem) would take a bit longer.

Once I try what you suggest, I will post.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 05:18:11 AM by omnedon »
Contact chop5 for any NEC console services.