Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboExpress/PC Engine GT: Video Fix  (Read 18898 times)

nat

Re: Breaking News! TURBOEXPRESS / PC ENGINE GT VIDEO FIX!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 12:32:50 PM »
A somewhat related video question, other than actually replacing the entire lcd screen on an Express, has anyone figured out how to fix dead pixels? If not, how expensive is it to replace the lcd screen on an Express?

I don't know of any sources for the LCDs that the TurboExpress units use. I would imagine they'd be very expensive, if you could even find them anymore.

For dead/stuck pixels, you could always try the "eraser trick" which involves quite literally "rubbing out" the bad pixel. Perhaps someone else who's actually done it can provide a more detailed description of the procedure.

nodtveidt

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 02:22:33 PM »
It's not really possible to fix dead or stuck pixels because of how they become dead or stuck. Replacing the screen is likely to be a pint-sized nightmare...finding that exact screen is going to be virtually impossible due to its age, and I don't know if anyone's found a suitable replacement yet. But I do remember reading something about someone using one of those portable PSone screens with a TE...

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 06:03:46 PM »
It's not really possible to fix dead or stuck pixels because of how they become dead or stuck.

That's not entirely true.  Dead pixels (where all three sub-pixels are non-operative due to a manufacturing defect) indeed cannot be resuscitated.  On the other hand, stuck pixels (where a sub-pixel is permanently on due to a transistor malfunction or to uneven distribution of liquid) can sometimes be fixed with gentle massage (as nat mentioned) or with special software that rapidly cycles different colors on screen.  These methods can be quite effective on modern LCDs (PSP, DS, etc.), but I'd be really surprised if it worked on an ancient Express. 
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nodtveidt

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 12:54:18 AM »
If the rapid color cycle method could possibly work for the TE, I'll write a piece of software to do it and put it onto a neohucard. It would be great if it could fix the problem.

nat

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 03:40:08 AM »
That would probably be a very easy piece of software to write, and if it fixed the stuck pixel issue in even just SOME cases it would be fantastic.

Paisa49

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 04:49:44 AM »
Man, you guys rock. The dead pixels issue seems to be pretty common with the TE's. Luckily, I'm not having any issues with my TE yet, but it's good to know more people like Nat are stepping up to the plate.

nodtveidt

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 05:51:49 AM »
My beloved TE recently developed a stuck pixel...I hope it can be corrected.

Yeah nat, it will be braindead easy to write. :) Now it'd just be a matter of getting it onto a card...gotta find a chip supplier, and an efficient method of producing the circuit boards.

nat

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 05:58:02 AM »
If you want to just write the program and give it to me as a PCE ROM I can test it because I can put it on my flash cart and do it that way. I have a few units with stuck pixels (stuck red, green, etc) that would be perfect to test. That way you don't have to eat the cost of producing an actual cart if the program doesn't correct the issue.

nodtveidt

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 12:37:50 PM »
Okay then, give this app a try:

http://www.nodtveidt.net/tefix.rar

and let me know if this is along the lines of what you need.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 12:47:46 PM »
Wow, I didn't know NAT was into modding and the such.  Didn't seem like the type.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 12:54:40 PM »
My friend uses one of those epilepsy inducing flashing programs on a LCD he bought for his computer. It had several dead pixels as shipped, and this program fixed all but one of them, I think. Certainly worth a shot.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 04:07:16 AM »
Okay then, give this app a try:

http://www.nodtveidt.net/tefix.rar

and let me know if this is along the lines of what you need.

Nice Express pic.  8)

If this piece of wizardry doesn't work, then I suggest trying one of the myriad offerings for TVs and monitors.  Running one of those via a TurboVision might work a little better, since it wouldn't be limited to the Turbo's color palette.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 05:27:40 AM »
Sorry Nod, I've been busy like you wouldn't believe and haven't had a chance to test your program yet. I'll get around to it by this weekend.

nodtveidt

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 06:36:42 AM »
That sucks...I was kinda hoping you'd run it on my TE before sending it back.

nat

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 06:41:17 AM »
Really? You should have asked. :( I didn't even notice any dead pixels on your screen, but then I wasn't really looking.

You might be in luck. Check your PM.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 06:52:00 AM by nat »