Author Topic: Stranded Island Scenario  (Read 341 times)

geepee16

Stranded Island Scenario
« on: May 19, 2008, 10:51:49 AM »
A kind of dream-come-true, really.  I am going back to Japan for three months and will be in Tokyo by myself the whole time in a tiny apartment.  I decided to take only one console (decided on two, ultimately) and , for the first time in my life, chose the FX.  I packed it well in my suitcase (leaving the box home) with all necessary accessories and limited myself in game selection.  Part of it was so that I could test out our Miraculum translation thus far.

Now, there are many MANY games I have not finished or woud like to play again as it has been about a few years since I finished an FX title. So, here is the question.  You are in my shoes and your Japanese is not that bad (nor that great, I suppose) and you can take, say, 9 games. What would you do? Here is my list which, by the way, surprises even me:

Miraculum----------because it's probably the best RPG on the console
Power League FX---need that mindless sports fun and replayability once in a while
Chip Chan Kick-----this game is just too fun to play
Deep Blue Fleet----a really good game with a once insurmountable language barrier. can't wait to jump in
Der Langrisser FX--never beat it but i sure as hell will this summer
Team Innocent----my first FX title which i finally intend to complete
Dragon Knight 4---i stupidly lost the memory file on this one so back to the beginning we go
Blue Breaker------someone here brought it up again and it made me want to play it again.
Angelique Special-i didn't like it at first and figure it has to be worth another try.

of course, this is not a list of the best FX games but just of the games i am taking with me. i've decided to take my turbo express with me for other reasons but, the FX it is. and, in the unlikely chance i finish all of these -which i honestly doubt- i will have to set out for a new copy of last imperial prince which  have for some reason never put back into my collection after having sold it ten years ago.

nat

Re: Stranded Island Scenario
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 11:21:54 AM »
Great thread, and that's a pretty good list, too.

Here's mine, and like you, when I really think about it I'm a little surprised at some of my choices:

Zeroigar -what can I say, I'm a shooter fiend at heart
Zenki FX -great replay value, this action platformer never gets old
Chip Can Kick -see geepee16's comments
Nirgends -this game is constantly hyped and yet I've never really ever sat down with it
Dragon Knight IV -see Nirgends
Detective Ladies -this games just looks awesome, plain and simple
Yuna FX -because of the fact that I've cleared Yuna FX, there are a ton of really fun minigames I've unlocked that have great pick up 'n play value. after you've cleared Yuna, the disc basically becomes a 10-in-1 disc full of minigames: Doki Doki Slots, Memory, even a sidescrolling shooter-esque (no shooting involved, though) space game where you fly around and collect objects, etc... fun!
Battle Heat -out of all the "easily accessible" FX games I own, I've spent the least amount of time with BH. I need to give it the attention it deserves and learn the nuances of it's one-of-a-kind game engine
Der Langrisser FX -scenario 13 has been consistently kicking my ass. anyone know how many scenarios there actually are? every time I think I've reached the end they throw another scenario at me.

My list sticks strictly to the games that I already own.

Last Imperial Prince is a great game George, I cleared it last year. Definitely one of the system's better games, some of the locations look extremely nice later in the journey. The final area that takes place on a snowy tundra & ice caves is one of my favorites. Also, the desert area. My only insignificant gripe is the strange battle system. You never know how many enemies you are fighting at any given time and while some battles are over quickly, some battles seem to rage on for 15 minutes or more. The actual battle mechanics are really good, but some of the exchanges could've been shortened considerably.

Is Power League FX any good? I've been trying to get that game for ages, and yet it is NEVER on eBay. I saw a copy on eBay the other day for the first time but it was like $60 after shipping which seems waaaaaaaay too high to me.

Same goes for Shanghai: The Great Wall (I'm a sucker for Shanghai games, what can I say), which I've actually never, ever seen on eBay. I'm beginning to question it's physical existence.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 11:33:53 AM by nat »

SuperDeadite

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 06:04:07 PM »
Der Langrisser is a monster of a game.  In total there are 78 different Scenarios + Hard Mode.  Depending on what you choose to do during the game determines which Scenarios you actually play.  You can stick with the "good guys", or join the "bad guys," or "the demons," or even say "SCREW YOU ALL!" and play the Independant Path. 

You can even switch back to certain paths at some point.  Like you can join the "bad guys" early on, and then betray them later on to go back to the "good guys."  The standard Light Path (good guys) has 21 Scenarios, however even it has different paths through it! You get different scenarios depending on which enemies you kill!

The main 4 paths have a total of 10 different endings.  Also beat the game once and you get Hard Mode.  This is a special 13 scenario run-through with a completely new script.  Its a total comedy, where the goal of the game is to get "Langrisser: The Holy Booze"  Beat this, and you get a final super-secret scenario that is actually a 2-player battle!  Hard Mode and the 2-player thing are exclusive to the FX version, they do not appear in the later PS and Saturn versions of this game.

Needless to say Der Langrisser is one of the greatest strategy games ever made.  Only the truly dedicated will ever fully complete it.  I've done every path, but I'm not even close to playing all the variations.  Easily the most massive game on the FX.   :clap:
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

PSP*FAN1

Stranded Island Scenario
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 04:50:11 AM »
Der Langrisser is a monster of a game.  In total there are 78 different Scenarios + Hard Mode.  Depending on what you choose to do during the game determines which Scenarios you actually play.  You can stick with the "good guys", or join the "bad guys," or "the demons," or even say "SCREW YOU ALL!" and play the Independant Path. 

You can even switch back to certain paths at some point.  Like you can join the "bad guys" early on, and then betray them later on to go back to the "good guys."  The standard Light Path (good guys) has 21 Scenarios, however even it has different paths through it! You get different scenarios depending on which enemies you kill!

The main 4 paths have a total of 10 different endings.  Also beat the game once and you get Hard Mode.  This is a special 13 scenario run-through with a completely new script.  Its a total comedy, where the goal of the game is to get "Langrisser: The Holy Booze"  Beat this, and you get a final super-secret scenario that is actually a 2-player battle!  Hard Mode and the 2-player thing are exclusive to the FX version, they do not appear in the later PS and Saturn versions of this game.

Needless to say Der Langrisser is one of the greatest strategy games ever made.  Only the truly dedicated will ever fully complete it.  I've done every path, but I'm not even close to playing all the variations.  Easily the most massive game on the FX.   :clap:

Hi SuperDeadite:

I have Der Langrisser FX. Since it is an RPG game & you need to know a lot of Japanese to play, enjoy, & pass the game I have ONLY played it a few times. I have done ok on it (Just by luck & pressing whatever looks good on the screen). I have not passed the game & I think I never will. But what I do know is that it is a nice great game with a # of great anime clips. At the time this is my first & only NEC PC-FX game and I like it a lot & I am also happy to own it (Too bad for me that I do NOT know Japanese)….

Thank You
PSP*FAN1
 :wink:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:52:35 AM by PSP*FAN1 »

geepee16

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:05:13 PM »
hey Nat,
    Power League FX is a sold baseball game...it's basically just an all around improvement on the PCE PL series and plays well.  $60 for it is insane.  though iT's not often found on shelves, it should never be more than $20 and probably much less.  the first few times i saw it, it was going for $10 or so.  i'll look into it for you.
    as for shanghai the great wall...hmmm...didn't i send you that game last year or am i thinking about a different game.  i seem to remember throwing in a mahjong title.  in any case, i am not sure i even have that game.  i had better look into this one also.

i agree with you guys on langrisser.  one of my faves though i haven't fleshed it out completely.

MissaFX

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 04:05:03 AM »
Japan is a pretty nice island to be stranded on :D

While you are there I would pick up if you have not already

Chip Chan Kick - If you like the bubble bobble type games you'll love this one
Zenki - It's Zenki...on the FX...it pwns your mother.  Do I need to say more?
Team Innocent - How would Resident Evil have looked if it was on a 16bit era system?  Now you'll know.
Tengai Makyou Karakuri Kakutouden - More fun than a barrel of drunken monkies rolling down a hill, the only thing keeping it from being a masterpiece is the lacking of a CPU VS CPU mode.
Power Dolls - What might at times be a frustrating tactical game because of language barriers can be turned into a blissful joy with english FAQs (so you know the special objectives on levels that have them). 
Miraculum - It's basically a final fantasy 6 ripoff...but that's a good thing.
Farland Story FX - Nothing stands out in my mind about this one other than it is one of the better games on the FX.
der Langrisser FX - As others have said, it is quite vast and will give you MANY hours of enjoyment
Classmates 2 - You need an adult game don't you?  I might as well be this budget title.
and lastly
Yuna Freaking Super Ultra Mega Galaxy Fraulizzle FX - Ever play a Yuna title on the PS1?  Remember the stinking 10 FPS video?  Well this, the origional features super smooth 30 FPS video and doesn't have additional boarder graphics.  Doki Doki Hell, one of the mini games however may shorten your lifespan.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 12:07:05 PM »
Zenki
Der Langrisser
TM Kakutoden
Zeroigar
Last Imperial Prince
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum