Author Topic: 11 signs you're no longer a hard-core gamer  (Read 703 times)

Nintega Turbine Trio-CBS

Re: 11 signs you're no longer a hard-core gamer
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 04:22:54 PM »
If you were anywhere near a "hardcore gamer" according to that list, you'd be a 1) fat piece of shit 2) have no job 3) live in the basement of your parents house, and 4) the opposite gender avoids you like the plague.

LMAO I love that South Park episode! The sad thing is the MMORPG gamer stereotype in that episode is true for the most part. I have heard horror stories how people lost their jobs and girlfriends over WoW.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 04:55:59 AM »
It's been days, not hours since you last switched on your console

Because things keep getting in the way: TV, movies, books, going out to restaurants, shopping, going down the pub, DIY, dinner parties, the gym, more DIY, your girlfriend/wife/boyfriend [delete as applicable]… oh, and having a job.

Ha that means you're growing up!

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 07:37:13 PM »
11 signs you're no longer a hard-core gamer

You've pre-ordered GTA IV but don't mind if it doesn't turn up on launch day

Wouldn't a better sign you're not hardcore simply be "You've pre-ordered GTA IV"?

If you were anywhere near a "hardcore gamer" according to that list, you'd be a 1) fat piece of shit 2) have no job 3) live in the basement of your parents house, and 4) the opposite gender avoids you like the plague.

Now those were both very clever, Black Tiger :clap:. I didn't think that South Park image had come from your website, also :P.

I found that to be a pretty interesting article. It seems to give a peak of the mindset of the modern-day gamer that is hugely known to play Xbox and Xbox 360 games online. Of course, it seems to have been written in Europe/England since it mentions finishing Sonic the Hedgehog on the Mega Drive and a few advertisements for that reigon have been seen there. Those entries pretty much apply to me except:

It's been days, not hours since you last switched on your console
You’re the oldest person trading in games at GameStation
You like your Xbox 360 and your PS3 equally
You avoid playing on the Wii because it’s too much effort
You've pre-ordered GTA IV but don't mind if it doesn't turn up on launch day

You only play when your girlfriend is out
, You believe that winning isn't everything, and You fondly remember a "golden age" of gaming can somewhat apply. I like to keep my video game business private most of the time (a girlfriend would NEVER apply to me in terms of a romantic relatioship), it depends on the situation for the victories gained, and the "golden age" for me is more of the end of the 16-bit generation and the 32-bit generation. I perfer the PlayStation 3 over the Xbox 360 (though I don't have either system), and I don't really have an interest for Grand Theft Auto IV, firstly. I might be somewhat hardcore, according to the list, but its sad to see old age hinder on the video game experience, too.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 07:38:59 PM by Game and Watch Kir »
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

Black Tiger

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 12:30:05 PM »
Now those were both very clever, Black Tiger :clap:. I didn't think that South Park image had come from your website, also :P.

When I steal (:shock:) pics online to repost in forums, I upload them to my own webspace so I know for a fact that they'll show up. :wink:

With pics like that, I also resize them so they don't ruin the thread.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Lord Thag

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 12:38:38 PM »
This whole 'hardcore' thing is just silly. It's an offshoot of all of that posturing on G4 and xplay. The only people I know that say they are 'hardcore' gamers are those tool-bags at gamestop who sneer down at everyone who doesn't love their latest obscure rpg featuring yet another scantily clad anime girl with rabbit ears. Puh-LEASE.

Seriously, when I think 'hardcore' I think of people like navy seals or matial arts experts. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge gamer. I love the stuff! But I don't spend all of my waking moments playing WoW, thank you very much.

Hardcore. Give me a break.  =;
Dodging little white bullets since the Carter administration

Joe Redifer

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 01:18:12 PM »
My definition of a hardcore gamer:

Someone who plays videogames while wrapped tightly in barbed wire with his eyeballs pierced and an XBOX tattoo on his scrotum riding a skateboard that is nailed to his feet down a super long, steep hill coated with honey all over his body through many large beehives and wasp nests that ends with a ramp that jumps over the Grand Canyon all while listening to Limp Bizkit.

Zeon

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 04:11:02 PM »
Sadly nowadays, I use the term hardcore gamer, not for someone who plays games every waking minute of their life or anything else similar, but a person who actually plays real games. With the advent of the Wii and its plethora or flash like mini games and crappy non games and people shitting themselves for crap like Wii Fit, the distinction is often necessary in conversations. I hate how many games are being "dumbed down" and piles of ass are being mass produced for this "new-found" market. Look at Dragon Quest Swords. Since when was a Dragon Quest game so mind numbingly simple and bland? It's selling off of hype, I can count on one hand the number of Wii games that people actually still play after their initial launch. Not that the "hardcore" games are super awesome anymore either. Where's the "different" games like Somer Assualt or Guardian Legend that didn't suck total complete donkey nuts. Where the innovation? Or games that are just plain fun to beat over and over, like the old Bonk, Sonic, or Mario? Oh and difficulty went MIA 8 or so years ago!

I'll take my games form the "golden age" of gaming over the games from the "Rehashed ideas and easy ass shovelware full of nothing but pretty, sparkly graphics age" Man and people wonder whats wrong with these kids nowadays! I know kids who can't even do a hadoken even AFTER being shown how to over and over again let alone beat Super Mario Brothers!?! If that's hardcore, then stay the hell away from me.

Pre 2000, 2001 games > (games nowadays * infinity). Period.

esteban

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 04:25:56 PM »
riding a skateboard that is nailed to his feet down a super long, steep hill coated with honey all over his body through many large beehives and wasp nests that ends with a ramp that jumps over the Grand Canyon all while listening to Limp Bizkit.
Change "Limp Bizkit" to "PSG Beach Boys" and you've described Yo' Bro! to the last detail!

Seriously, though, I loved the Limp Bizkit comment. Ha! Friggin' cheesepuffs...

Where's the "different" games like Somer Assualt or Guardian Legend that didn't suck total complete donkey nuts. Where the innovation?
Ha! I'm glad you mentioned Somer Assault because I think it is a wonderfully wacky melding of genres.

I was reading a "Games you've never played" article recently and there was an interesting IREM game listed for NES that sounds like it might be similar to our beloved Somer Assault -- Grindstorm? -- and maybe it was by Natsume, not IREM.

Anyway, maybe one of you folks can check out the game and tell me if it is anything like Somer Assault.

Yeah, that was off-topic.
  |    | 

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 05:41:59 PM »

When I steal (:shock:) pics online to repost in forums, I upload them to my own webspace so I know for a fact that they'll show up. :wink:

With pics like that, I also resize them so they don't ruin the thread.

Oh. A simliar deal that Joe Redifer does with his pictures, eh :wink:? It's also quite helpful that the image is resized (more correctly, reduced in size) so side-scrolling is not necessary to see the entire image.

My definition of a hardcore gamer:

Someone who plays videogames while wrapped tightly in barbed wire with his eyeballs pierced and an XBOX tattoo on his scrotum riding a skateboard that is nailed to his feet down a super long, steep hill coated with honey all over his body through many large beehives and wasp nests that ends with a ramp that jumps over the Grand Canyon all while listening to Limp Bizkit.

WOAH :shock:! That's more of an EXTREMEST you're referring to there!...Now, who would be daredevil enough to even attempt this 8)?
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

Arjak

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2008, 06:19:30 AM »

They both suck. Xbox breaks down from being looked at, and PS3 is WAY to expensive.

That list is total crap.

No golden age, my ass...

I think every RATIONAL gamer can agree that the older games used a lot more imagination. In the old days...

Oh, it comes out! I guess I'm not a hardcore gamer. :roll:
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Nintega Turbine Trio-CBS

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 12:32:28 PM »

They both suck. Xbox breaks down from being looked at, and PS3 is WAY to expensive.

That list is total crap.

No golden age, my ass...

I think every RATIONAL gamer can agree that the older games used a lot more imagination. In the old days...

Oh, it comes out! I guess I'm not a hardcore gamer. :roll:

I agree with you. It was only because video games weren't as mainstream as they are today. Now the industry has become another Hollywood. They are putting out tons or sequels and cliched games and occasionally making halfassed revivals/remakes of old games that hadn't got a sequel in years.