Author Topic: Duo RX Controller Issues  (Read 528 times)

macnes

Duo RX Controller Issues
« on: April 24, 2008, 07:06:46 AM »
I recently got my PC Engine DUO RX and I have been pretty happy playing Castlevania, but lately I have been having an issue with my controller. After I fire the machine and begin playing everything will be running smoothly, and by the end of the first level my controller has began to tweak.

Left on the D-Pad becomes start, right will whip and then I cant do anything else really. It just remaps everything to an unplayable layout. Not sure what is going on here. Is this the game or the controller you think? I don't have another game to test at the moment since I just about blew the budget buying the system and the game so I couldn't try that.

Any help is appreciated - thanks.

SignOfZeta

Re: Duo RX Controller Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 07:54:15 AM »
Conventional wisdom seems to state that Duo R, and RX controllers are junk. I'm not sure why this is supposedly true, but when you look at systems on eBay they almost always have a CG1 controller instead.

They must have really messed something up bad because in general NEC controllers are tanks.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 08:19:03 AM »
Welcome aboard; your problem sounds weird and rather frustrating.  Is it possible that you're inadvertently nudging the 2-6 button mode switch while playing or that the switch itself is somehow damaged?  I've always wanted an RX controller, just because they look cool, but it's not so cool if it's unusable (says the guy with a PCE mouse and a few TG-16 controllers).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 11:03:04 AM »
Hey MacNes. Long time no see. ;)

Necromancer is correct-- sounds like your controller is being put into 6 button mode mid-play. Castlevania (and any other "two-button" games) don't know how to deal with the 6-button signal and behave exactly as you describe. Sometimes the manifestation is much worse.

If you are sure you are not bumping the 2/6 mode switch during play, it's possible something is shorting inside the controller itself. I can take a look at it one of these days if it keeps it up. You going to the NWGCE this weekend in the U-district? I was thinking about going one of the days. If so maybe we can meet up there and I can have a look.

vestcoat

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 05:16:02 PM »
Are you using an extension chord?  Those can cause problems.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 02:38:38 AM »
Are you using an extension chord?  Those can cause problems.

Do you mean specifically with the RX pad, any 6-button pad, or all controllers?  I don't recall ever having troubles with any of my pads, but I also don't remember using one with my ave. pad.  :-k

macnes

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 12:06:41 PM »
You going to the NWGCE this weekend in the U-district? I was thinking about going one of the days. If so maybe we can meet up there and I can have a look.

Where can I find information about this? Where is it at? I'd definitely be down to meet up.

I don't think I'm bumping anything but maybe I am. I'll try out the controller again tonight and see what happens.

macnes

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 05:43:42 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that it is the cord, if I move it around I can get the normal controls to come back. Lame.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 06:05:03 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that it is the cord, if I move it around I can get the normal controls to come back. Lame.

Lame indeed, but thankfully easily remedied.