Author Topic: Turbo Duo with 5 controller ports built in!  (Read 496 times)

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Turbo Duo with 5 controller ports built in!
« on: May 08, 2008, 05:56:46 PM »
How hard would it be to mod more controller ports onto a Duo?

Zeon

Re: Turbo Duo with 5 controller ports built in!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 06:24:20 PM »
IIRC there is a bit of empty space inside the duo near the front, if you have the schematics/understand the logic of a duo tap, you should be able to build an equivalent with some prototyping board, ics, and 8-pin mini-dins that would fit in that space. the main problem I see is getting it mounted where it won't move around and still look nice, assuming you have enough room to work with. Sounds interesting but probably won't be easy.

nodtveidt

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 06:39:28 PM »
This has already been discussed several times, and the end result is that it is a very bad idea to even attempt due to some older software not being able to function correctly with the multiple controller hardware connected.

Zeon

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 06:44:43 PM »
This has already been discussed several times, and the end result is that it is a very bad idea to even attempt due to some older software not being able to function correctly with the multiple controller hardware connected.

Really? I wasn't aware of any such game, I've always gone through my duo tap no problem with all my games. You could install a switch to disable and enable the extra 4 ports, wouldn't that work?

nodtveidt

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 06:50:23 PM »
I don't know of anyone who's put together a complete list of all the games that suffer from this, but in my own experience, I know of at least 1 US game that has the problem, and know that there are many old Jp games that suffer from it as well. The US game I know of that has the problem is China Warrior. Try playing it with two controllers plugged in and you'll see what I mean. :) About using a switch...perhaps the 8PDT switch we use for region mods could be used here too...if you can find room in the case. :)

Zeon

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 07:01:12 PM »
But if you leave all other controllers unplugged for problematic games, wouldn't that solve the problem?

Edit: No complete list of problematic games you say? Well I'll just have to fix that! Off to test all of my hucards...

Double edit: Huh? I just tried China Warrior with a duo tap and two controllers plugged in, I didn't notice any problems whatsoever! maybe you are referring to the tg-16 and the turbo tap?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 07:23:19 PM by Zeon »

nodtveidt

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 08:23:46 PM »
The problem definitely manifested with the TG16 and TurboTap. Perhaps this was corrected with the DuoTap?

nat

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 03:47:12 AM »
That would be very strange, considering the so-called "DuoTap" is actually just a japanese "MultiTap" and predates the bulky "TurboTap."

All that said, I've never heard of any such problems unless your Tap has a logic problem.

nodtveidt

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 04:55:00 AM »
Then maybe it was a problem introduced with the TurboTap.

I've not done any tests with my current setup...I'll run some tests later today.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 05:34:48 AM »
It would be neat to see, but honestly I wouldn't want something like that. I actually like the extra range of the tap, and if you have all the ports on the machine that means whenever someone yanks a controller cord too hard they'll be yanking on the system, which is bad because PCE controller ports are too delicate and touchy as it is.

Of course you could use an extension cable...but you'd need five of them!

guyjin

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 12:27:31 PM »
If you did this, you could include a switch for 1/many player mode.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

atr3yu

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 08:42:53 PM »
I have located a 2p tap and I have someone who is going to try to install it internally and have a switch  like stated above to turn it on/off. Hopefully it will be one like the region mod and tucked off to the side. Will post pics once the tap arrives (coming from the UK standard post :() and I send it to him and he comes up with someway to install this on my DUO-RX or if it will even work properly. I will be sending my flash cart to him with the stuff so he can properly test any games that some find troublesome.