Author Topic: KC Retro 2023  (Read 258 times)

roflmao

KC Retro 2023
« on: December 04, 2023, 11:16:29 PM »
Null and Bartre and I got together this past weekend and partied at this year's KC Retro convention in Overland Park, KS! It was a hoot. Definitely had a mini MGC vibe going. I wonder if I could talk them into doing a Turbofest space next year. The vintage gaming convention scene has really been picking up speed all over the KC metro area these past few years. This was at least the second gaming convention I've been to this year and each one is bigger than the last!

They had a bunch of arcade and pinball machines set to free play, some board\card game competition going and hosted the Classic Tetris World Championships! Tons of vendors, artists, crafty folks, cosplay, comics, vintage toys, etc.

Next year I'll try to bring it up here to see if any of the other old grognards (or fresh blood!) want to make the trek to KC. :)

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
Re: KC Retro 2023
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 10:12:28 AM »
Looks fun, but how was the obey hunting? Keep us posted for future dates, you know I'm willing to travel for some fun times with my brothers.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

roflmao

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 08:54:58 PM »
Looks fun, but how was the obey hunting? Keep us posted for future dates, you know I'm willing to travel for some fun times with my brothers.

Very little Obey, sadly. A couple vendors had a handful or two of common TG16 and PCE games and a different vendor had a TG16 console for sale. But every time I go to one of these cons, I wear my Turbografx-16 t-shirt and talk the system up to all the vendors I jib-jab with so maybe we'll see more trickle in. I have a feeling the TG16 didn't do very well in the Midwest states, so it's always been a little dry compared to the coastal states.

I'll keep you posted!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 01:49:04 AM »
Looks kinda fun.  Did y'all get your crystals charged up?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 08:04:36 AM »
...every time I go to one of these cons, I wear my Turbografx-16 t-shirt and talk the system up to all the vendors I jib-jab with so maybe we'll see more trickle in.
A true preacher of the word of obey! I try to do my part and bring PCE/Turbo to events where I run consoles. I figure instead of talking it up, just show them the light first hand :)

roflmao

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 04:55:17 PM »
A true preacher of the word of obey! I try to do my part and bring PCE/Turbo to events where I run consoles. I figure instead of talking it up, just show them the light first hand :)

If the Express was just a bit smaller, I'd probably bring it to cons, but it doesn't really fit in any pockets. : :pcgs:

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 10:10:48 AM »
I randomly saw that Unico had a demo unit of their new "Nova Blast" candy cab at KC...albeit for the only the last hour on Sunday (due to difficulties)

https://youtu.be/UD4z_Pqza98?si=eZWjLoiqvsyId8jj

roflmao

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2023, 12:35:03 AM »
I randomly saw that Unico had a demo unit of their new "Nova Blast" candy cab at KC...albeit for the only the last hour on Sunday (due to difficulties)

https://youtu.be/UD4z_Pqza98?si=eZWjLoiqvsyId8jj

Wow, that's really cool. Too bad they weren't there on Saturday. I would have loved to check it out.