Author Topic: Neo Geo controllers on PC Engine-possible?  (Read 338 times)

GohanX

Neo Geo controllers on PC Engine-possible?
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:45:21 AM »
I have a really awesome stick for my Neo Geo using Happ competition parts, and I was thinking about how kick ass it would be to use it with PC Engine shooters. Is it possible to make it work without modding the stick itself? 

The Neo controller is a simple beast, each button has a single wire going to a pin.  I don't know if the regular PCE controller is the same way or if is a more complex device.  I was thinking about taking an extension cable for each system, figuring out the wiring, and soldering the wires together to make an extension adapter.  Or, if that doesn't work, sacrificing a controller (:() and possibly soldering the wires of the Neo extension cable to the pads on the board of the PCE controller.  I've heard of several people making joysticks for other systems this way.

So, do either of these sound possible? Or should I just not bother and stick with the pad?

Michael Helgeson

Re: Neo Geo controllers on PC Engine-possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 02:14:40 PM »
NeoGeo is basically just digital microswitches wired up to pins directly,1 pin for each switch and then ground leading to all. Most home game system pads dont do this,instead using chips,signals,voltage,lesser pin counts then actual buttons present,ect. You however can take a PCE game pad,and take out the pcb,and solder the microswitches to the button leads on the pcb,and match them up correctly and you will have a working arcade stick.