Author Topic: Xbox 360 and XBMC lowdown  (Read 275 times)

ceti alpha

Xbox 360 and XBMC lowdown
« on: August 26, 2008, 07:39:02 AM »
OK, now that I have an HD LCD 720p TV, I'm considering upgrading my original Xbox to a 360. The original Xbox does stream up to 720p or 1080i, but drops frame rates on larger files. My obvious concern are the RROD that plague so many 360s, and was wondering if Microsoft has solved the issue with later models, specifically the elite edition. I was also told by the IT guy at work that Microsoft is making it virtually impossible to hack the newer 360 models coming out.

Anyway, if people have any experience using the 360 as a media centre I would love to hear about it. My other option is to get a Popcorn hour, which I've seen in action and is pretty cool. I don't like the menu interface as much though - it's a lot like the PS3 interface.  [-X Also, Popcorn Hour isn't as versatile as the Xbox, but there's no reason I can't have both. heh

Popcorn Hour http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

MissaFX

Re: Xbox 360 and XBMC lowdown
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 07:44:58 AM »
Xbox 360s are ass pieces of crap-a-ti-crap-crap-crap.  The die sooo often, I would never get one.

The only problems I have heard about popcorn is that even if you scout china for the weirdest adapters, it is all but impossible to get any standard hardware to work with it to upgrade it or to fix it in the event of some hardware failure.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Turbo D

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 10:59:21 AM »
I was at Sam's Club the other day and a dude was returning an xbox360. He had only had it for a day or two and it already had the RROD! I felt bad for the dude. I hope the store exchanged it or whatever. lolz!

albinoMithos

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 01:48:25 PM »
Anyway, if people have any experience using the 360 as a media centre

:evil: Listen you it's center.

But no RRoDs still happen although the chance of it happening has been shrinking.  If that's a concern I would still hold off for now. Though I have heard there is a way to fix this by replacing the heat compound, it'll void your warrenty, and I haven't tried it myself so I have no ideal if it truly solves the problem or not.

Digi.k

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 02:07:27 PM »
OK, now that I have an HD LCD 720p TV, I'm considering upgrading my original Xbox to a 360. The original Xbox does stream up to 720p or 1080i, but drops frame rates on larger files. My obvious concern are the RROD that plague so many 360s, and was wondering if Microsoft has solved the issue with later models, specifically the elite edition. I was also told by the IT guy at work that Microsoft is making it virtually impossible to hack the newer 360 models coming out.

Anyway, if people have any experience using the 360 as a media centre I would love to hear about it. My other option is to get a Popcorn hour, which I've seen in action and is pretty cool. I don't like the menu interface as much though - it's a lot like the PS3 interface.  [-X Also, Popcorn Hour isn't as versatile as the Xbox, but there's no reason I can't have both. heh

You can see if this link will help ya... btw dont u know Netflix is coming for the 360 ?

http://lifehacker.com/398035/do-more-than-just-game-on-your-xbox-360

As for the RRoD thing I cant really say.. I never experienced it yet although my 360 has broken down twice during its first year. but I had a june 06 model. Its been serviced by Microsoft twice now.   Now the machine during the weekends can sometimes be played for 14+ hours a day when friends/familly come over and it never gets as hot as before..

Anyway everyone has different experiences so I cant say the same for you.  I can however honestly tell you that this IS my most played machine ever.  infact I hardly ever touch the pc engine or sega saturn anymore so if this prospect scares you then maybe you should stay away from the 360.

I was evaluting about whether to buy the 360 at first as the RRoD stories started to appear so I knew what I was getting myself in for but I glad I jumped in.  You could just buy and expect it to happen.. so if it does happen at least you was expecting it.. anyway just go back to your DS, pc gaming or whatever till it arrives back or take it back to the store for a new one.

Still the RRoD will be covered for up to 3 years warranty.. I dunno if this will still apply for newer models
Any other problems like hard drive, dvd drive crapping out etc will be covered by standard 1 year

BTW if you do decide to jump in might want to wait till Sept 7

I'm actually thinking about getting a newer 360 basically for the lower power consumption.. and then there's getting a japanese model for the shmups that probably end up staying in japan >.>

Still there is a good selection of arcade/dreamcast/shmup/home made stuff on the marketplace for you to try out
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:42:07 PM by Digi.k »

ceti alpha

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 02:56:21 PM »
Anyway everyone has different experiences so I cant say the same for you.  I can however honestly tell you that this IS my most played machine ever.  infact I hardly ever touch the pc engine or sega saturn anymore so if this prospect scares you then maybe you should stay away from the 360.

haha. Nah, I should be good. It'll be a cold day in hell before the duo gets second rung.  :mrgreen: But yeah, there are definitely some nice games, plus a more powerful CPU so it can stream HD much more smoothly.

Xbox 360s are ass pieces of crap-a-ti-crap-crap-crap.  The die sooo often, I would never get one.

The only problems I have heard about popcorn is that even if you scout china for the weirdest adapters, it is all but impossible to get any standard hardware to work with it to upgrade it or to fix it in the event of some hardware failure.

That isn't good. I'll have to ask my friend if he knows where to get replacement power supplies. He may not be aware of this problem.

Thanks for the advice though peoples. :)

....Oh and it's centRE  :P

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 12:49:30 PM »
I don't doubt that there are people out there with various 360 problems, just like with many 32-bit+ consoles, but none of the dozen or so people I know offline have ever had any problems with theirs (other than abuse).
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Bonknuts

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 08:29:07 PM »
I know two people and myself that had to send in the 360 for RRoD problem. It was pretty painless. M$ paid for the shipping to/fro and paid for the repairs as well. All three systems were out of normal 1 year warranty too. From what I've read and have been told - M$ is extending the RRoD warranty to 3 years. M$ even throw in a free month of xbox live gold in all 3 repairs for the inconvenience. More than what Sony ever did for my two dead PS2's and 1 dead PS1. So, I wouldn't worry about the RRoD so much. Instead figure if you want a 360 or PS3.

Tablet

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 12:31:23 AM »
Ceti alpha I do..or did (before my laptop expolded (unrelated)) use my 360 in conjunction with my laptop for windows media centre. For one it's just as buggy as the windows version, it was pretty slow for me too. I can't quite remember if it plays XVID and DIVX files though the 360 itself now can, if you want to use it for video what I suggest is if you have a router connect both your computer and your 360 to it, when connected your 360 will be able to pick up your PC on the network and connect (I think you need to install a WMP plugin too) then whatever you put in your my documents folder can be read by the 360, it's really cool especially when you were to say put your computer on wireless and your 360 can stick pick it up on the network and stream the video through it.

I hope that helps

....and it is centre

ceti alpha

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 12:43:54 AM »
Ceti alpha I do..or did (before my laptop expolded (unrelated)) use my 360 in conjunction with my laptop for windows media centre. For one it's just as buggy as the windows version, it was pretty slow for me too. I can't quite remember if it plays XVID and DIVX files though the 360 itself now can, if you want to use it for video what I suggest is if you have a router connect both your computer and your 360 to it, when connected your 360 will be able to pick up your PC on the network and connect (I think you need to install a WMP plugin too) then whatever you put in your my documents folder can be read by the 360, it's really cool especially when you were to say put your computer on wireless and your 360 can stick pick it up on the network and stream the video through it.

I hope that helps

....and it is centre

hehehe.  :lol:

Yeah, I have XBMC running on my original Xbox and use it all the time. It's a wireless connection, and aside from some minor wireless issues, it hasn't done me wrong. Streaming movies through wireless is sweet. My main problem is streaming HD 720p on the Xbox. The original Xbox's cpu isn't fast enough and the video gets choppy on bigger files. I was told that if you put in a DVD on the 360 and it's an unfamiliar format, it will prompt you to download an update and then you're all set. That was just something I was told from the IT guy at work.