Author Topic: [?]are scanlines important for you?  (Read 638 times)

Tatsujin

[?]are scanlines important for you?
« on: October 22, 2008, 05:17:04 PM »
nothing gives a better feeling than playing our old beloved PCE games (and others) on a good ol' low-res CRT, since it produced very natural scanlines which let all 2D games looking so arcadish (IMO).
not so anymore on all those new hi-res HD-ready 1080p TFT/Plasma-flatters etc. also via Wii VC.

so, are scanlines an important factor for you to really enjoying the games or not?

comments are welcome as well :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 06:17:45 PM by Tatsujin »
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

oldskool

Re: [?]are scanlines important for you?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 06:47:15 PM »
I like the game to look as original as possible, on the technology that it was meant to be for.

Tatsujin

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 07:06:29 PM »
so this means, you also would prefer the original AV signal over a RGB mod? :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Duo_R

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 07:21:04 PM »
when I used to play on the PC (using emulators) I preferred the scanlines. Now I am fine with the way the VC looks on my HDTV. Don't know if I just changed my preference or if it is because I am sitting farther away from the screen.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Turbo D

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 09:07:38 PM »
I voted yes very as I am a big fan of teh scanlines. 16-bit just looks better with them  :)

Zeon

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 09:34:37 PM »
I know I am in the minority, but I have always despised scanlines, even before scanlineless displays even existed. I thought that they looked very awkward even as a kid, and I even questioned their existence before I understood how crt's worked. When I modded my old systems to output to component video on my lcd I was totally blown away by the super pixel sharp image sans scanlines. I can honestly say good riddance to em, I don't need no stinking black lines dividing my image into symmetric rows. Seems so....artificial.

termis

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 01:42:23 AM »
Very much so.  On these older, low-res systems, it's pixely, blocky mess without scanlines.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 02:20:03 AM »
yes scanlines are needed for old games. 
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 03:06:22 AM »
My vote was for 'not really'.  It looks better with scanlines, but I won't get too worked up over 'em if they're missing.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ccovell

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 03:34:34 AM »
Scandoubled > Scanlines > Interlaced > Digitally filtered.

I never liked scanlines when playing Amiga games, and so scandoubled games (with double-width lines) looked completely solid and great.  Any of the above are better than pixels being integer stretched and/or filtered for LCD or other shitty displays.

mobiusclimber

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 04:24:24 AM »
I'm completely unsure as to what scanlines even refers to, but what I do want to say is that a lot of the older systems (NES and Genesis, mainly) too advantage of "pixel bleeding," or "color bleeding," meaning they could display more colors because the things you saw on screen weren't very sharply defined. The colors from one pixel would bleed into the one next to it and this would create (in the eyes of the player) a new color. Yes game designers did this on purpose. Which is why sharpening up the graphics on these old machines (either thru HD, RGB modding or the VC stuff) makes certain games look worse than they use to.

oldskool

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 09:36:50 AM »
so this means, you also would prefer the original AV signal over a RGB mod? :)

I can't honestly tell a difference, except on an LCD, which the system was not designed for.

Zeon

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 10:02:01 AM »
I'm completely unsure as to what scanlines even refers to, but what I do want to say is that a lot of the older systems (NES and Genesis, mainly) too advantage of "pixel bleeding," or "color bleeding," meaning they could display more colors because the things you saw on screen weren't very sharply defined. The colors from one pixel would bleed into the one next to it and this would create (in the eyes of the player) a new color. Yes game designers did this on purpose. Which is why sharpening up the graphics on these old machines (either thru HD, RGB modding or the VC stuff) makes certain games look worse than they use to.

Yeah I am aware that game designers of many older games took advantage of the color bleeding, and smearing of older displays to make textures seem more full and smoother, and to create the illusion of new colors. I however want each and every pixel to be well defined and sharp, not spilling half of its guts into it's neighboring pixels. I really hate the smoothing or blurring effect of sd crts and especially through crappy video signals. They hide the wonderful bright, well defined, crisp, and pixely image, that IMHO is the way these games are meant to be played. I mean all arcade games output to the screen via rgb, and though the scanlines and blurring were both present they were still pretty pixel sharp with not too much of this bleeding nonsense. Well unless the arcade cab's display was way out of adjustment.

ceti alpha

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 03:43:42 PM »
I voted "yes", but I'm really more with Necro on this one. If I had a choice I'd take the scanlines, but really, the Duo looks great on the LCD once you tweak with the colour settings.

I also didn't vote for "Not Really" because I didn't want to call myself dumb. lol  8-[

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

rolins

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 05:13:02 PM »
Very much so.  On these older, low-res systems, it's pixely, blocky mess without scanlines.

Same here.