Author Topic: Unusual NEC controller  (Read 340 times)

thewestexit

Unusual NEC controller
« on: April 02, 2005, 11:48:36 AM »
I buy and sell lots of PC Engine games and hardware, therefore I come across a lot of different things, but I've never seen this controller before:

http://www.thewestexit.net/images/neccontroller.jpg

I know it's hard to see (blame it on the webcam) but it's a black two button controller with some purple and grey accents, also for each button there's another function: "display" for select, "sub" for run, "main" for II, and "enter" for I.

Any idea where this controller comes from?  I thought maybe it was from a laseractive, but don't those controllers say "pioneer" on them?  This one says NEC.

In any case, if you have any info, I'd love to hear it  :D
////////////////////////////////////////////////
James Wilson
www.thewestexit.com
The Science of Building Wealth

Keranu

Unusual NEC controller
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 12:42:20 PM »
Very interesting controller. Once when I was browing through Yahoo! Japan auctions for PCE stuff, I saw this very odd controller for one of those Pachinko games. I think the controller might've originally come with the game or something. I forgot what it looked like exactly, but I remember it was very odd and had grey and yellow colors I believe.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

thewestexit

Unusual NEC controller
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 02:53:21 PM »
Ah, the pachinko controller, yeah it is a pretty funky shape.  I've come across a few of them, and I have it in box with the game it was packaged with (Pachio-kun Maboroshi no Densetsu) for my collection.
James Wilson
www.thewestexit.com
The Science of Building Wealth

esteban

Re: Unusual NEC controller
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 04:24:21 PM »
Quote from: "thewestexit"

Any idea where this controller comes from?  I thought maybe it was from a laseractive, but don't those controllers say "pioneer" on them?  This one says NEC.

In any case, if you have any info, I'd love to hear it  :D

hi westexit... I've purchased many games from you in the past :)

Now, there were many color variations for the pads, but what makes your controller so kool is the different functions associated with each button.  

I am 99% certain (EDIT: now i'm 25% certain) that you have a Japanese LaserActive controller.  I just looked in Electronic Games # 15 (December 1993) and they had the North American LaserActive controller with.... yup, a grey pad with extra functions written alongsite all the buttons.  For the curious: the North American controller has "TurboGrafx-16" molded onto the controller and has "TurboDuo" logo printed in the upper left-hand corner (next to the direction pad).

here's a great page that is *missing* the LaserActive pic:

http://www6.airnet.ne.jp/wataru/pce/pce_pad.htm
  |    | 

Zerojean

Unusual NEC controller
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 06:30:25 AM »
Its deffinately Laseractive pad like the guy said, probably from NEC's version, not Pioneers.
Baseley09 in disguise.

Keranu

Unusual NEC controller
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 01:15:55 PM »
Hey, thewestexit, I checked out your site and you have some nice deals for PCE stuff! I'll remember to buy from you if I can ever get another job this year.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).