Author Topic: Homebrew is alive and well on PCE  (Read 1497 times)

touko

Re: Homebrew is alive and well on PCE
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 07:32:29 AM »
Glurps  ...

My ASM conversion will be fastest what i was thinking ..
HUC is not the saint graal ???  #-o

HUC has not been updated since 2005/04/09, it is lightly out of date  :-k
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:39:43 AM by touko »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 12:24:24 PM »
HUC has not been updated since 2005/04/09, it is lightly out of date  :-k

Right. 

HUC is not the saint graal ???  #-o

Not really.  It has a lot of annoyances and issues that keep surfacing, among the ones already stated as part of it being "small-c" (no structs being one of the big suckers)

Unless you know some assembly already and are comfortable adding the missing pieces (sound!), you can't really complete a game with HuC.   There exists a sfx / music library but it is a bit limited and finnicky.

oh well.  Assembly is usually the best way to go for these kind of things even if it is rougher

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

touko

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 11:38:41 PM »
Not really.  It has a lot of annoyances and issues that keep surfacing, among the ones already stated as part of it being "small-c" (no structs being one of the big suckers)

Unless you know some assembly already and are comfortable adding the missing pieces (sound!), you can't really complete a game with HuC.   There exists a sfx / music library but it is a bit limited and finnicky.

oh well.  Assembly is usually the best way to go for these kind of things even if it is rougher

C language is more efficient in time development,but i 'am not good enought for updating HUC  :( ..
We must find a good soul (i don't know if its the good term), to ask zeograd to do it ..

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 11:20:52 AM »
There were updates mentioned back in July or so.  There hasn't been much.  I've just accepted it and stopped waiting/did it myself.

Tom

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2009, 03:15:07 PM »
Zeograd started doing some work on HuC a few months back, but you never come around the channel anymore to give any feed and such :wink:

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 03:54:13 PM »
Zeograd started doing some work on HuC a few months back, but you never come around the channel anymore to give any feed and such :wink:

The advancement of HuC is dependent on me coming in the channel and giving feedback?  I stopped going to programming IRC channels.  They arent fun.

I check zeograds site occasionally and see no updates or mention of it.

Keranu

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 04:57:27 PM »

The advancement of HuC is dependent on me coming in the channel and giving feedback?  I stopped going to programming IRC channels.  They arent fun.
#utopiasoft is definitely NOT your ordinary programming channel  :mrgreen: . And I mean that in a good way of course, it's probably the best channel on EFnet!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 08:25:07 PM »
I used to go in there.  It was ok I guess.

Tom

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2009, 05:01:27 AM »

I check zeograds site occasionally and see no updates or mention of it.

Well, if there's user feedback on HuC - nothing's going to get changed. As far as #utopiasoft - your loss then.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 03:37:25 PM »
There are known shortcomings to HuC and things not yet finished.  I didn't think user feedback was required to let Zeograd and the rest of the coders know that the sound library is unfinished and that the mod parser that was coming in a few weeks back in July still isn't here....

that was the topic for #utopiasoft back on the first day I logged in there.  So it has nothing to do with my logging in and giving feedback.  It started before me, and should have continued after I stopped poking around.

:-"

And then theres the array problem you've just shed light on, the lack of structs, and a few other pointer related things that aren't there.

Denki was released in 2005.  In 4 years time, I would imagine some things would be added, fixed, and improved by now and we would be seeing HuC 3.22, or maybe even 4.0 by now.

It just seems HuC hit a dead end and was abandoned to me.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 04:46:10 PM by Arkhan »

Tom

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 04:49:22 PM »
There are known shortcomings to HuC and things not yet finished.  I didn't think user feedback was required to let Zeograd and the rest of the coders know that the sound library is unfinished

Zeograd was there in the channel asking for feed back. He added some of the ACD routines I did for huc. I didn't know about the array problem at the time. Only you and Nodt are HuC users in that channel and Nodt doesn't seem to have any problems (or even in the channel much). As for a sound lib, I've just finish remaking the Air Zonk engine into its own lib along with samples songs in pseudo mml format. MooZ is adapting it for some project too.

and that the mod parser that was coming in a few weeks back in July still isn't here....

If you're referring to me, I dropped that project. MOD is not sufficient format for PCE. It lacks envelopes, ulaw sample format, format layout, and other stuff that's more PCE efficient and flexible. DM already has an almost finished version for HuC, if you'd ask him for it. PCE needs a wavetable synth tracker written from the ground up IMO.

But I think it's more interesting generating sounds from the native waveform buffer format. There's so much potential there that hasn't been touched and not to mention less resource intensive (which makes is more HuC friendly).

It just seems HuC hit a dead end and was abandoned to me.

All the more reason to go full asm ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 04:51:51 PM by Tom »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2009, 04:56:43 PM »
I'll mess around with azasel.  It goes with magickit 2.51's pceas, and not HuCs v3.21, right?

I prefer regular old 32 byte waveforms.

DM = David Michel right? And what is he doing for HuC?

I made a working set of libraries and a quick/dirty MML parser for HuC but I haven't tried to perfect it or anything since after Insanity I don't plan to use HuC anymore.  That demo I linked to in my other thread shows some MML and whatnot.  It needs some fine tuning and work but it's pretty good.  I mostly just want to use it for sound fx within my game.

Ill post source soon/eventually.  I'm technically not supposed to since some of this is a school project and part of the agreement with school is to not publicize any code until after the class session ends -_-

...but you can disassemble the .pce and check  that out! lol
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 05:02:13 PM by Arkhan »

touko

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2009, 11:47:07 PM »
It's a good idea to post a .pce of your project ..

I 'am curious to see in which part(s) the slow down are !!!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 11:50:16 PM by touko »

Tom

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2009, 03:07:23 AM »
I'll mess around with azasel.  It goes with magickit 2.51's pceas, and not HuCs v3.21, right?

It uses PCEAS from HuC 3.21. I don't use any Mkit libs. I haven't put it into HuC yet.

DM = David Michel right? And what is he doing for HuC?

What is he doing? I have no idea. The last thing he did do was the MOD player. He, Zeo, and Dave originally started/worked on HuC though.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2009, 05:31:15 AM »
oh.. I read that wrong I guess.  I get you now.  Dave has that almost finished mod thing still if I want to bug him about getting it.

I thought you meant he had something else in the works.

for the record what is the dif. between Mkit and HuC's pceas?

I just know HuC's source files wont assemble on MagicKit