Author Topic: NES games on the PCE  (Read 1391 times)

spenoza

Re: NES games on the PCE
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 04:29:34 PM »
That's actually pretty cool. More modern Simon design with retro pixel sizing. It'll be nice if everything gets worked out all happy-like.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 10:36:20 PM »
I think he needs more red or something, but that is just me.  It is badass either way!

but.... can it be maria instead? :mrgreen:
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Spman2099

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2009, 12:24:23 AM »
I'd love to see the game remade into a Castleroid, more like the Sorrow games, but, I suppose it'd be like Order of Ecclesia if they redid it.

It is arguably the first Castleroid. Way ahead of it's time. Certainly had flaws, but it did a whole lot right. It seems that most recently Simon's Quest has come under more attack due to the extremely popular AVGN's video on it. But mainly it is just a bunch of sheep who never played the game mindlessly attacking it. http://www.screwattack.com/AVGN/2006/Castlevania2

But than again, it always had it's detractors. Either way it was a great game. If anyone here hasn't played it but loves the Castleroid's, you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of this. It's a chance for you to see the roots of the Castleroid genre.

P.S. But better that Castlevania 3? Really? I still consider that to be the best game on the NES... Also in the running for best Castlevania game (probably placing third behind Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night).

blueraven

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2009, 08:38:56 AM »
wasn't castle II that simon's quest in the west?
That's the one!
i thought that's the most horrible of all of the castles ever released?? :shock:
You thought wrong. NES Castlevanias in order: 2 > 3 > 1.  [-(

I agree, guyjin.  :mrgreen:

[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Black Tiger

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2009, 02:04:52 PM »
It is arguably the first Castleroid. Way ahead of it's time. Certainly had flaws, but it did a whole lot right. It seems that most recently Simon's Quest has come under more attack due to the extremely popular AVGN's video on it. But mainly it is just a bunch of sheep who never played the game mindlessly attacking it. http://www.screwattack.com/AVGN/2006/Castlevania2

But than again, it always had it's detractors. Either way it was a great game. If anyone here hasn't played it but loves the Castleroid's, you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of this. It's a chance for you to see the roots of the Castleroid genre.

"Castleroids/Metroivania's" were actually pretty common during the 8-bit days. Off the top of my head: Battle of Olympus, Faxanadu, Rambo, Legacy of the Wizard, Rygar, Millon's Secret Castle, Clash at Demonhead, Blaster Master, Strider, Wonder Boy III, Lord of the Sword, Spell Caster, Zillion... If anything, Simon's Quest stood out as being one of the poorer ones. I still love it and the overall aesthetics and presentation make it much more attractive than it would be if it relied on it's design/gameplay.

It was so crazy when SotN came out and ever since people have been talking about how revolutionary it was.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2009, 05:22:47 PM »
I know that Simon's Quest was a Castleroid, but, I would like a re-envisioning that restructures it & gives it more upgrades & a map system, etc. like the more recent ones.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2009, 05:36:26 PM »
I know that Simon's Quest was a Castleroid, but, I would like a re-envisioning that restructures it & gives it more upgrades & a map system, etc. like the more recent ones.

all that crap makes the game too easy.

Its like having a map for Dragon Slayer IV!  Blasphemy. 

My map system of choice is graph paper, and a pencil! :)

Mirado Black Warriors to be precise :)

Spman2099

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2009, 05:49:13 PM »
"Castleroids/Metroivania's" were actually pretty common during the 8-bit days. Off the top of my head: Battle of Olympus, Faxanadu, Rambo, Legacy of the Wizard, Rygar, Millon's Secret Castle, Clash at Demonhead, Blaster Master,
Strider, Wonder Boy III, Lord of the Sword, Spell Caster, Zillion... If anything, Simon's Quest stood out as being one of the poorer ones. I still love it and the overall aesthetics and presentation make it much more attractive than it would be if it relied on it's design/gameplay.

It was so crazy when SotN came out and ever since people have been talking about how revolutionary it was.

Sorry I should have clarified. When I said Castlevania 2: Simons quest was arguably the first Castleroid, what I meant was that it was the first Castlevania game to play with the free form Metroid gameplay style. I certainly don't believe that it was the first side scrolling adventure game. I always took a Castleroid as directly referring to a Castlevania game that played with the more open concept gameplay of the Metroid series. http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Castleroid

However I do recognize that some people have used the term to describe other games with similar styles that do not involve the Castlevania series whatsoever. So once again, I should have clarified.

About people feeling SoTN was revolutionary; I am sure a certain amount of that was just people being excited over a very polished well put together game.

P.s. Faxanadu was badass!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2009, 07:18:44 PM »
Battle of Olympus, Faxanadu and Drasle Family are all badass.

**Drasle Family = DS IV = Legacy of the Wizard = <3

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2009, 06:46:32 PM »
Bah, I want my map!  And I want Exp. points!!  When it comes to CV's, I think Portrait of Ruin is my favorite, SotN is actually one of my least favorites, with OoE as my least favorite.  Here's a list from best to worst for me:
PoR
DoS
HoD
AoS
SotN
CotM
OoE

As for the PS2 games, I do enjoy them, though I enjoy CoD most I think, even though neither is what I really want.  I hope this new one for PS3 is a true Castleroid, it'll probably be 3D, but, if it's done right.... :-k