Author Topic: Bacteria's IntoGrafx modding project  (Read 1243 times)

Zeon

Re: Bacteria's IntoGrafx modding project
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 12:04:27 PM »
I have not personally messed around with pal turbo-grafx hardware, but the general consensus on pce hardware in general is that you need to amp the  red green and blue lines. Otherwise the colors will be off as you noticed yourself with red being overdriven.

DO NOT PUT AN AMP ON THE COMPOSITE SYNC (not sync) line. When I did this, I got no picture, I removed the amp on the line and it worked just fine correct colors and all on my lcd tv.

Also note that the composite sync MUST be stripped via a sync stripper such as a LM1881. You will most likely not get a picture, or the picture will be very unstable, especially on a lcd. I am almost willing to bet this is your problem.

Duo might just have gotten lucky, or the signal's from the duo-r are stronger. Whatever the case is, try a sync stripper first. Personally, I use a sync cleaner that jrok makes (a very excellent one at that): http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html. They are $10 plus shipping, though I don't know if he ships internationally. An online shop that carries them might.

If this doesn't fix your problem, try removing the sony chip from the system. This way it should be nearly identical, parts wise, to a us turbo-grafx.

Duo_R

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 12:17:32 PM »
no sync stripper required with a PS1 LCD. The unit is very universal and not as picky as other RGB sources.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Zeon

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 12:22:39 PM »
no sync stripper required with a PS1 LCD. The unit is very universal and not as picky as other RGB sources.

I would still recommend it.

Duo_R

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 12:23:43 PM »
well if you are the type that likes to do extra work. Seriously it works fine without.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would still recommend it.
Add my YouTube channel:

Duo_R

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 12:24:42 PM »
Also, since he has CXA chip, amping won't be necessary. That outputs RGB just fine. Bacteria already stated he isn't pulling from the Hu chip.

I have not personally messed around with pal turbo-grafx hardware, but the general consensus on pce hardware in general is that you need to amp the  red green and blue lines. Otherwise the colors will be off as you noticed yourself with red being overdriven.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:30:11 PM by Duo_R »
Add my YouTube channel:

Zeon

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 12:36:44 PM »
Also, since he has CXA chip, amping won't be necessary. That outputs RGB just fine. Bacteria already stated he isn't pulling from the Hu chip.

Yet he has stated it won't sync, I would seriously try tapping it from the huc6260 itself, amp the rgb lines, and strip the sync to see if there is any improvement. Maybe the Sony chip introduces problems, who knows? My theory is if he taps from the huc6260 itself, it should work like any other pce hardware. He has a huc6260A correct? Iirc this is the exact same one in US and Japanese pce hardware.

Duo_R

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 12:45:10 PM »
Z I think you missed this:

Result - stable, lovely RGB picture which doesn't shudder, no lines, nothing. Better yellow, weaker blue and red; colours in other words look correct now, as they should. Only thing is the brightness on my PSone screen is turned to max and the light level is quite acceptable, but slightly brighter would have been nice.

He got a stable image off a CXA1145. I had no idea the PAL systems had a CXA chip in it.
Add my YouTube channel:

Zeon

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 12:50:36 PM »
Z I think you missed this:

Result - stable, lovely RGB picture which doesn't shudder, no lines, nothing. Better yellow, weaker blue and red; colours in other words look correct now, as they should. Only thing is the brightness on my PSone screen is turned to max and the light level is quite acceptable, but slightly brighter would have been nice.

He got a stable image off a CXA1145. I had no idea the PAL systems had a CXA chip in it.

Haha, more like misread  ](*,) Thanks for pointing that out duo.

bacteria

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 01:42:59 PM »
Yeah, tried originally to get the RGB and C-Sync from the HU6260 chip as per the guide, but on my Logic 3 screen I got the colours nicely but the screen rolled; putting in the amp make the image work on one of the games ok ish, but not on the others - had picture 3/4 on 1/4 off; or juttery or unstable. With amp powered, completely unstable. On the PSone screen, nothing, whatever I did.

Taking then RGB and C-Sync signals off the CXA1145P chip, I get clear crisp and stable image, looks excellent. Back to using the official Sony PSone screen again, as the TruboGrafx seems to prefer the 320x240 resolution of the official PSone screen - for example in Gradius (jap) the powerups are enclosed in a full bubble and the powerup text is shown properly without some text missing (the official Sony PSone screens are great).

Bypassing the capacitor on the PSone board for an LED mod is fine, however I understand it stops making the screen brightness adjustable and also makes the image washed out. I may just have to stay as I am; at least the image looks really nice and stable now and at full brightness setting, the screen looks fine. This is what matters after all.

Here is the chip rigged. Not taking the signals off the HU6260 chip; although I am tempted to see if I add the RGB wires from that chip and join them to the RGB outputs from the CXA chip if that makes any difference to the brightness or not. Not had any luck with the amp circuit yet after all.

I rather get the impression from you guys that taking the signals from the HU6260 chip gives rather haphazard results - having the CXA chip in there seems therefore to be a positive thing - might be designed to give composite PAL output, however, as I have learnt, it has the benefit of also cleaning the C-Sync line and outputting a better RGB line too. I see this as being actually a good reason to get a PAL TurboGrafx after all!  :wink:

bacteria

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 04:07:30 AM »
Update time.

Desoldered all the game slot pins so I could work on the case backing more, and re-wire the wires so they are neat and fit better. Each wire is labeled so they can be re-attached, and *hopefully* work again.

The on/off switch is glued in place and 3 amp wires soldered to two of the terminals. These wires are then glued in place and ready for when needed.

The 8 pole double throw switch I made a while back is hot glued in place. I covered the switch top with a piece of black cloth to make it look nice.

Cart slot is screwed down into its posts.

Game cart inserted.

Here is what the switch looks like, external view:

The charging jack to recharge the batteries in the portable is added (yellow jack) and the headphone jack (green jack) added.

More updates to follow tomorrow...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 04:49:31 AM by bacteria »

bacteria

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 11:41:12 PM »
I had taken extra care labeling the 38 wires as any errors would be disaster - no way to trace back a problem. I also spent ages checking each wire was connected properly and no shorts when attaching back to game port. I was still convinced I would have to spend the rest of the day testing a wire here and there as the wires are fairly long, and before I had issues with some of them.

However... turned system on - success!  O:)

Wired section - lots more to do yet - batteries, controller; make it all fit, etc.

And a side shot showing a game working on my testing screen:

More after lunch...

bacteria

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 02:35:18 AM »
Just a few updates to report.

Cut out the case top, gave it a thorough sanding so both case halves meet.

Then, change of mind - decided not to make a version 2 multi-platform system after all; would have had major issues fitting in batteries, system would be too thick, buttons too generic and too many on front, over-cramming. Would be hard in such a small space and the ends don't justify the means. Going to keep each system separate, as is the norm anyway - means I only need a D-pad and two buttons for the controls; (the speed switches are on the case backing), select and run buttons and the screen controls - that is it.

This meant re-planning how the guts of the system will be mounted and the looks of the system a bit.

No great shakes, just slowed down the project for a while whilst I made some decisions, which are now made.

I can easily fit in four Li-ions, giving a total of 4.4 amps at 7.4v. I know the PSone screen uses between 750 and 800 mA whilst running, used my multimeter just now and concluded the TurboGrafx seems to take about 500 - 550 mA. This means a total of about 1.3 amps draw, so 4.4 amps should give about 3 hours 20 mins playtime between recharges, which is quite reasonable frankly. I could put in more cells, maybe, but that would also increase the overall system weight. There are always compromises when making portable handheld systems - it is hard enough to try and get buttons placed properly and make them feel nice to use, let alone overall weight considerations and even weight distribution: all in a small casing...

Back to re-planning, and minor adjustments in design!  8)

I have hot glued the wires to the game cart slot so I can get to the sides of the case backing to install batteries.

Tomorrow I will get the batteries installed, hopefully get the insides complete, then I can make a start on the case front section.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:43:57 AM by bacteria »

bacteria

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 03:20:31 AM »
Ok, to get the PSone screen brighter, hailrazer posted on BenHeck a while back how to remove the anti-glare layer from the screen, so I just did it - posting my pics:

Screen as it was, a bit mucky (this was a spare screen BTW).

Remove the metal shielding from the screen sides.

Placed it onto a CD case so the ribbon cable doesn't get damaged.

Layered 6 sheets of two-ply toilet paper on top.

Wet the paper under a slow-running tap, put a piece of card on top to ensure tissue paper keeps contact with the screen well.

Put a couple of weights on top - had some old VHS tapes, fine - could have used a book, whatever.

Applied more water after a couple of hours to stop the tissue from drying at all.

After 4.5 hours, removed the weights and card.

Lifted off the toilet paper.

Then gently lift off a corner of the plastic anti-glare sheet. If there is any resistance, then stop as you are lifting the polarize layer which will destroy your screen. The anti-glare layer is a thin and flexible piece of plastic sheeting, on top of the polarizer layer. I had to try all four corners before I could easily lift off the anti-glare layer. Once you have a corner, use some pliers and carefully, and evenly, lift off the whole sheet.

And this is what you get, after giving the surface a through dry with a spectacles cloth (or cotton cloth) - you don't want any moisture. Once finished, place the screen onto the white light block and pop the grounding metal covering back on.

The colours are supposed to be brighter, better colours, less pixilated image; ie better!

In this pic, you see the removed anti-glare sheet.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 03:41:05 AM »
Placed it onto a CD TurboChip case so the ribbon cable doesn't get damaged.

You didn't do the label any favors by wetting it down.  For shame!  :P
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

bacteria

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 03:54:25 AM »
Ha, yes, I know! Nevermind!

Look at my sig, just got my new site up - have a look, let me know what you think and your comments!  :D