Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboExpress: Sound Fix  (Read 7267 times)

christoph

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboExpress: Sound Fix
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2010, 07:57:38 PM »
whoa

those sites are awesome

thanks

Duo_R

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2010, 04:53:53 AM »
If you replaced all caps in the audio circuit (circled green) your problem should be fixed.

So the sound and headphones were not working AT ALL on my Turbo Express and I did this mod - the sound now works in both the headphones and speakers - but its the infamous low sound. Low in both speakers and headphones. What do you recommend doing?
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

christoph

« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
For anyone who was wondering where to order capacitors from - http://www.digikey.com/ - is f*cking awesome.

I ordered 40 various capacitors for $8.40 shipped. It arrived in two days. Great service.

RoyVegas

« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2010, 12:04:08 PM »
Trying to pick up a few caps locally to fix the sound on my Expresses...  Will a 100 uF 35V work for the sound fix?
All is well. :)

chop5

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2010, 01:17:55 PM »
thats fine roy,as long as its not under 6v from the original rating. i used a higher voltage on mine i remember cause i couldnt find 6v
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/prchopsado.jpg tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

RoyVegas

« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2010, 05:57:21 AM »
I've never done any soldering or repair work before but it seemed easy enough to give it a try.  Worked like a charm!  Thanks to guides and help from cool people on this forum another Express sounds good as new.  Thanks guys!
All is well. :)

Ichibanrei

« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2010, 02:11:56 PM »
Thanks a TON for this guide.  I had scored on a PC Engine GT for 25 bux locally on craigslist of all places.  The sound was out but doing this mod brought it back.  So happy!  :D

voidwhichbinds

« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2010, 04:01:14 PM »
thanks a lot for this guide - I've finally gotten around to replace that 100uF capacitor, and it's fixed my TE's very low sound issue..

but for completeness, it should be noted that the highlighted cap in the photo on page 1 is used for the left channel audio - the other 100uF cap is used for the right channel...

BlueBMW

« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2010, 01:33:57 AM »
I thought the express just had a mono speaker built in?  I guess there's probably a second circuit for the headphones port.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Charlie

« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2010, 09:26:43 AM »
==>I thought the express just had a mono speaker built in?  I guess there's probably a second circuit for the headphones port.<==

Sort of.  So try:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=702.msg116301#msg116301

Charlie
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:34:21 AM by Charlie »

Duo_R

« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2011, 05:30:31 PM »
Charlie - this isn't exactly sound related, but what kind of part is at L502?

From what I can tell this helps switch power from batteries to external wall plug. I need to replace a bad part on one of my TE units but not sure what to replace it with.
Add my YouTube channel:

Charlie

« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2011, 10:25:54 PM »
I'll check.
(Sorry I missed your message)

Charlie

Charlie

« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2011, 02:06:52 AM »
L501 and L502 are 1uh, .08ohm inductors on the battery input lines.  Looks like they are there for noise reduction purposes, so functionally you should be able to bypass them (short across them).  You don't even have to remove them!  However, they may have an effect on system noise performance. (But you may not care about that).  The easiest way to test that is to simply put a piece of wire in place of them, and see if you notice any negative effects, especially on the video display.

Charlie

Duo_R

« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »
thanks Charlie, is there a part i can replace those with? Or should i just try to jump?
Add my YouTube channel:

Charlie

« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2011, 12:47:51 AM »
Jumping should work fine...functionally.  Just can't tell what may happen performance-wise.

If you want to find a replacement part:
1. Inductance should be ~.8uh to 1.5uh
2. Resistance should be <.12 ohms (lower = better)
3. Footprint must match size on board (DUH!)
4. Current-carrying capacity should be at least equal to that of a AA cell, more = better.
I wouldn't expect to find something that meets all these requirements, but there should be a reasonable compromise out there somewhere.

Charlie