Author Topic: Ode to the Turbo Vision  (Read 280 times)

vestcoat

Ode to the Turbo Vision
« on: June 11, 2009, 06:13:47 AM »
Last day to watch TV on this thing (yes, the it's still worth something for the AV input).

I'm gonna miss keeping my ears fresh with the Spanish channel once in a while.  I also liked recording TV sounds and making songs with them.  My favorite time I took my TE into a big echoey stairwell, plugged it into some loud portable speakers, and recorded static and a crazy minister ranting on the Christian channel while my girlfriend scraped on a metal plate one floor up.  Static and rapid channel changing always sounded cool through a bunch of reverb too.  Digital TV means no more static.  Gonna have to use the frickin' radio now... :cry:

CosMind

Re: Ode to the Turbo Vision
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 06:50:19 AM »
wait, what?  why is this your last day watching tv with it?  selling it off?

hoobs88

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 07:05:26 AM »
I thought the digital revolution happened months ago. I don't own one but I figured they might sell for cheap now that they can't do TV. The AV input would hopefully make it a worthwhile purchase. Got any photos of yours with AV input in action?
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 07:35:25 AM »
All hope is not lost just yet.  Low power stations are allowed to continue broadcasting in analog, so check here and see if there's anyone in your area.  Of course, being able to tune in and finding something worth watching are two entirely different topics.  :)
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

vestcoat

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 09:49:14 AM »
Necro:  thanks for the link!

Hoobs:  I believe they delayed the digital switchover because there was a shortage of converter boxes on the market.  I'll post a picture soon.

blueraven

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 10:01:27 AM »
Comcast and TDS switch over Friday 6/12/2009 at 11:59.59PM in the USA, Check you local cable provider to find the last day to watch the news on your TurboVision in your area.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

vestcoat

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 10:31:35 AM »
The other Bonk's Adventure

Best RPG ever

SMS Sonic

Connection

hoobs88

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 10:37:05 AM »
Very cool Vestcoat! Thanks for the photos. Can you use the TV tuner for AV output as well as input? Where did you get the adapter at the end of the yellow and white plugs?

vestcoat

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 10:59:17 AM »
It's a common audio adapter from Radio Shack that works fine for the mono audio and video signal needed for the TurboVision.  They also come in the form of a Y-Cable:  Left and right female RCA inputs on one end, 1/8" TRS (tip/ring/sleeve, just look for two black bands) on the other.  Plug your video connection into the red input, and don't worry, it doesn't hurt anything if you reverse the wires.

EDIT: 

Thanks for the photos. Can you use the TV tuner for AV output as well as input?

The photos may look cool, but remember a separate controller is involved.  No video output is available, otherwise why would you need a home console!  I did see a photo of a tricked-out, modified GT once with video out and a controller input... =P~  Anyone know where I can see it again?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:08:37 AM by vestcoat »

hoobs88

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 11:24:57 AM »
The photos may look cool, but remember a separate controller is involved.  No video output is available, otherwise why would you need a home console!  I did see a photo of a tricked-out, modified GT once with video out and a controller input... =P~  Anyone know where I can see it again?

So you have to have the Turbo Express propped up (or hire someone to hold it) in order to play with a separate controller.

I was hoping they followed the example of the Sega Nomad by adding AV output. At least the PC Engine LT is capable of that...but isn't quite as portable as the Turbo Express.

bust3dstr8

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 04:57:48 PM »
Clowns Suck

vestcoat

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 05:19:46 PM »
Thanks, nice to get some GT representation on this thread.

Bludgeon

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 02:58:16 AM »
Hoping to use my TV once my TE is fixed. Hope someone can repair my TE and TD soon and hopefully someone on here can.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:02:23 AM by Bludgeon »

esteban

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 05:39:55 PM »
I kept meaning to watch something before the analog signal stopped, but I was too busy. Damn.

Thanks to the dude who provided the Low-Power station site...

Now my TurboVision will serve me with channel 17  (W17DC-D   MORRISTOWN , NJ), amongst others.

Still, I wish I had watched Poirot on PBS with the damn thing when I had a chance.
  |    |