Author Topic: Weird video problem with TurboGrafx CD Interface Unit  (Read 903 times)

Ace

Re: Weird video problem with TurboGrafx CD Interface Unit
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 06:22:56 AM »
See, here's the thing: the pop sound I heard from the ColecoVision when something blew in it came from one of the 8 notoriously awful RAM chips.  That's the weird part.

Now, Charlie, you've said the TurboGrafx 16 has that type of circuit protection, but what about the SuperGrafx?  I plugged in a power supply with reversed polarity into that.  It DID NOT power on.

Charlie

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 02:12:24 AM »
 Remember I said (for the '16):
"...No way it should run under reversed polarity. "

You said (for the SG)
"...  It DID NOT power on. "

Seems to me both statements say the same thing.

And again, we're talking DC supplies only.  AC supplies can work differently.

Charlie

blueraven

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 06:13:47 AM »
You're incredibly lucky.

This is what happens when you plug the wrong polarity power supply into a Duo.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6033.0
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Ace

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 02:46:03 PM »
My GOD!  That's one sick PC Engine Duo right there.  It almost seems as though the quality of NEC's hardware got worse every time something's released.  Think about it:

-TurboGrafx/PC Engine: barely any problems
-PC Engine CD-ROM/TurboGrafx CD: jammed gears/jammed laser/disintegrated gear
-TurboExpress/PC Engine GT: leaky capacitors
-TurboDuo/PC Engine Duo: leaky capacitors/sensitive to reversed polarity/stupid laser that runs off its track

Wow.  That's one awful record for reliability.

Black Tiger

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 03:53:19 PM »
My GOD!  That's one sick PC Engine Duo right there.  It almost seems as though the quality of NEC's hardware got worse every time something's released.  Think about it:

-TurboGrafx/PC Engine: barely any problems
-PC Engine CD-ROM/TurboGrafx CD: jammed gears/jammed laser/disintegrated gear
-TurboExpress/PC Engine GT: leaky capacitors
-TurboDuo/PC Engine Duo: leaky capacitors/sensitive to reversed polarity/stupid laser that runs off its track

Except that these problems didn't really show up until a couple generations after the PCE's extremely long commercial lifespan. Combined with the cutting edge features of each-

TG-16/PCE: tiny HuCards, tiny PCE as first 16-bit console was smaller than current 8-bit consoles.
Turbo/PCE CD-ROM: first console CD-ROM, actually released as Sega was only releasing the original MegaDrive.
TE/PCE GT: first portable console and was still super high quality. It took forever for handhelds to match its screen quality.
Turbo/PCE Duo: As Sega was finally getting around to putting out a CD-ROM, the PCE received this sleek compact combo with built-in system card.

I'm surprised that they're as reliable as they are. They're especially great considering how many consoles had common problems while still current, such as the NES, PSX, PS2, 360, etc.

I mean when a PCE console develops a problem today, it's the equivalent of Marty McFly finding his old cutting edge CD player while in the future and it doesn't function perfectly.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 04:02:28 PM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Ace

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 04:18:06 PM »
That does leave one big problem: all the people who have no technical knowledge are going to trash their PC Engine GT/TurboExpress/TurboGrafx CD/PC Engine CD-ROM/PC Engine Duo/TurboDuo deeming them impossible to recover.  And since the problems all seem to be happening now, it's only a matter of time that many of those consoles will find themselves in a dumpster.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 06:31:57 AM »

I think there's a few million 360, PS, and PS2 owners who only wish that their consoles were so unreliable.  PCE stuff ain't unreliable, it's just old.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

kattare

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 08:54:21 AM »
I read somewhere that the failure rate on an xbox 360 over a 3 year lifespan is 30%.

One in three people's xbox 360 fails within 3 years.

Do a search on ebay for "broken console", heh.  It's 90% 360's.
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 09:00:02 AM »
I read somewhere that the failure rate on an xbox 360 over a 3 year lifespan is 30%.

One in three people's xbox 360 fails within 3 years.

That might be true now, but I'd wager that the initial (first year) console's failure rate was at least double that.  Kinda sad considering the culprit is heat - a.k.a. one of the easiest and cheapest problems to find and fix.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

blueraven

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 08:50:17 PM »
I have 3 dead 360's in for repair, all broken solder joints. All because of heat. If you have one of these consoles, put it in front of your air conditioner, and don't smoke cigarettes inside. Do not, under any circumstances use those "cooling fans" that plug into the console: These will cause more heat, shortening the lifespan of your 360.

The black PC Engine Duo and American Turbo Duo along with the Express' and PCEGT's need replacements because the capacitor's after 15-20 years of heavy play and not-so-great storage can rust, leak, and go kaput. 

The Duo-R and Duo-RX seem to be noticeably more absent of the Capacitor problems.

I think there's a few million 360, PS, and PS2 owners who only wish that their consoles were so unreliable.  PCE stuff ain't unreliable, it's just old.

Agreed Necro.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 08:52:25 PM by blueraven »
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol