Author Topic: Hello, my first post with a question.  (Read 230 times)

Retrogamer

Hello, my first post with a question.
« on: July 27, 2009, 05:02:40 PM »
Hi, nice to meet you all!
Although I am new to the forums, I have enjoyed TG-16/PCE games for many years.
I used to be a collector, but now I am just a gamer with a decent library. I sold off a ton of my games in a big purge a few years back, and am just starting to get back into NEC. My new main setup will be a PC Engine Duo R , but I still have access to quite a few American  TG-16 cards, so I invested in a bare bones US TG-16 console from a local seller.

The problem is that the system came with a generic AC adapter, and it is listed at 9V. I know the System calls for 10.5 the seller (whom I know personally) swears up and down that this AC adapter is safe for the unit, but I am afraid to try. So I thought I would ask you hardcore folk if you have any suggestions, or generic AC adapter replacement recommendations.

Thanks for the help in advance,
George

Tatsujin

Re: Hello, my first post with a question.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 05:55:36 PM »
(^^ o)/° hoi hoi. and welcome to TEH forums.

do I know you from somewhere? doh, sure I do.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

kattare

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 07:42:04 PM »
Anything 9vdc-12vdc over about 750mA with a negative tip polarity should be fine.  Tho if you want an original for your TG-16, I have a few spares, $19.95 + shipping.  Just pm me.
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

esteban

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 02:54:54 AM »
Welcome.

It's fun using the "core" TG-16 ... hopefully you have TimeBall :)

Lots of info can be found in the TG-16 / DUO FAQ that is preserved at the old TurboList.

TG-16:
      Model:   HES-ACA-01
      Input:    120V AC 60HZ 15W
      Output:   10.5V DC 730mA
      Center plug is negative, the outer is positive.

Note:  When buying replacement adaptors other than these recommended
          by the manufacturer, the general rule is:
              - Match the generic AC adaptor's DC voltage equal or as
          close as possible to the manufacturer's adaptor.
        - Make sure the generic adaptor's current rating (mA/A) is
          equal or higher than the manufacturer's adaptor.
        - Make sure the polarity matches!

I left the spelling errors in there :), for authenticity.

|    | 

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 01:45:24 PM »
i used a sega genesis 9v adapter for 6 years with my Turbo. Its safe
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

omotai

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 12:55:48 AM »
I'm using a 9V adapter with my PCE Duo. It's not a Duo R, but the principle is the same: the console doesn't actually consume as much power as the AC adapter feeds it. There is a transformer inside the console that steps it down to what is actually consumed (in the case of the Duo, 7V; maybe very slightly more for the Duo R but I would suspect not). The reason the AC adapter provides more is to ensure that come hell or high water the console is getting steady power, but modern AC adapters are engineered better than they were in those days, and provide the rated power pretty steadily by themselves.

In any case, I don't see how undervolting the console would hurt it, anyway. It would just not power on. Overvolting, on the other hand, is a very bad idea. Also, make sure the plug polarity on the AC adapter is right; on the original Duo you need a positive center plug (probably the same on the Duo R, but check the polarity diagram next to the socket on the back of the console). If the plug is set as negative center, you'll probably fry the console. Some adapters, like the ones Radio Shack sells, have removable/swappable tips, so one AC adapter can plug into devices with variously-sized sockets and different polarities. On those adapters, you change the polarity by plugging it in either "normally" or "backwards". It's fairly obvious which one is negative and which is positive.

That's all I can think about right now when it comes to AC adapters. To summarize, I wouldn't worry about it. Just take some basic precautions and you'll be fine.

EDIT: And now I went and looked at the posts in between the OP and mine, and saw that basically everything I said was already stated more concisely.  #-o