Author Topic: I Purchased Sapphire!  (Read 6255 times)

Keranu

I Purchased Sapphire!
« Reply #240 on: March 15, 2006, 04:36:49 PM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"
I Purchased Sapphire!

For real. From Mindrec.

I couldn't pass up a deal that good and its not much more than I was paying for PC Engine games back in the day($230 for SFIICE + Kisado, $150 for Dracula X).

I just hope that it didn't sell within the last day and a half since I heard back from BT about it.

It looks like I'll probably get to buy a Neo Geo cabinet within the next few days as well. :D

I still want to get one of these "reprints" to play though.

Wasn't Mindrec only selling Sapphire for like $200? I remember seeing it and thinking how good of a deal it was, but I had to skip.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

vestcoat

I Purchased Sapphire!
« Reply #241 on: March 15, 2006, 04:37:58 PM »
man, i was really hoping this thread would never be brought up again, but...

Congrats on your Sapphire purchase Black_tiger!
If you're looking for one of those care4data bootlegs they seem to be getting mixed into the rest of the flea-Bay auctions and the temporary price drop they created in the Sapphire market is starting to disappear.
good luck.

Black Tiger

I Purchased Sapphire!
« Reply #242 on: March 15, 2006, 04:39:30 PM »
Quote from: "Bonknuts"
How long ago was 'back in the day'?! I only paid $80 COD for Dracula X back in '93.

It was the same year it came out.

Back then there weren't many Canadian friendly importers and beggers can't be choosers.

I don't remember if that particular game was from the place I'd order from in Toronto or Japan Video Games. If it was Canadian, it'd be the equivelant of $100 U.S.

I know that I had to wait months to get ahold of one since they were "hard to stock due to popularity".
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Black Tiger

I Purchased Sapphire!
« Reply #243 on: March 15, 2006, 04:41:21 PM »
Quote from: "vestcoat"

If you're looking for one of those care4data bootlegs they seem to be getting mixed into the rest of the flea-Bay auctions and the temporary price drop they created in the Sapphire market is starting to disappear.
good luck.

Thats the real reason I bought this, because you won't be able to buy a legit copy anymore unless the seller knows what the bootleg looks like.

Black Tiger

I Purchased Sapphire!
« Reply #244 on: March 15, 2006, 04:44:57 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I Purchased Sapphire!

For real. From Mindrec.

I couldn't pass up a deal that good and its not much more than I was paying for PC Engine games back in the day($230 for SFIICE + Kisado, $150 for Dracula X).

I just hope that it didn't sell within the last day and a half since I heard back from BT about it.

It looks like I'll probably get to buy a Neo Geo cabinet within the next few days as well. :D

I still want to get one of these "reprints" to play though.

Wasn't Mindrec only selling Sapphire for like $200? I remember seeing it and thinking how good of a deal it was, but I had to skip.

It was $250. I would've bought it right away, but I'm coming off of a crazy shopping spree that I tell myself, week after week, is finally over.

I first found out about the Sapphire at Mindrec the day after I bought $165 worth of goods from a japanese seller, a boxed wireless PCE set and a bunch of other stuff.

Anyways, the good news is that I just sold my Wrestle War arcade tonight for almost what it'll cost me for a Neo Geo cabinet with 2 games.

Keranu

I Purchased Sapphire!
« Reply #245 on: March 15, 2006, 04:46:06 PM »
$250 is still great ;D .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

I Purchased Sapphire!
« Reply #246 on: March 15, 2006, 04:50:42 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
$250 is still great ;D .

If I can get ahold of one of those bootlegs, I'm going to put up a page with quality scans of each highlighting the differences.

Until I do get one or the collector's price comes down, I'll still be playing my cdr copy in the meantime.

vestcoat

I Purchased Sapphire!
« Reply #247 on: March 15, 2006, 05:05:25 PM »
Quote from: "vestcoat"

good luck.

Thats the real reason I bought this, because you won't be able to buy a legit copy anymore unless the seller knows what the bootleg looks like.

Yep, i don't think you'd ever be able to tell for sure by looking at a photo on ebay as the color difference on the cover is pretty slight.  what i would recommend would be asking a prospective seller to send you a scanned picture of the game disc.  the inner ring of the bootlegs is pretty large and should to easy to distinguish, even from an online photo.

Black Tiger

I Purchased Sapphire!
« Reply #248 on: April 01, 2006, 09:43:47 AM »
I just bought a sealed bootleg and hopefully it'll be here in about a week.

I've also received the real Sapphire and even without seeing the bootleg I can say that its instantly obvious when you're looking at the real deal in person.

As soon as I get the bootleg, I'll start scanning them in and put the comparison on a web page.

guyjin

Re: I Purchased Sapphire!
« Reply #249 on: February 04, 2008, 04:02:21 PM »
Thread necromancy powers, activate!  :-"

So I've got a bootleg sapphire. I just played it for the first time (arcade card arrived!) and it is indeed awesome.
But I'm slightly confused on how to play it.

The attract mode shows the players attacking stuff with their options. This seems to have something to do with the select button, but the options do odd things when I try it. How exactly do you control them?

Also, what are the differences between the fighters? the weapons seem to be interchangeable, so is the only difference what you start with? or am I missing something?

Anyway, great game from what I've played so far. Hooray for bootlegers, 'cuz the more people who get to play this, the better :)
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

nat

« Reply #250 on: February 04, 2008, 04:37:03 PM »
I always use the same ship so I can't say with 100% certainty, but I think the ships all have their own "main" weapon which differ in strength. Also, every ship has a different maneuvering speed (this I'm sure of). I always use the fastest ship which in turn, I believe, has the weakest weapon.

BTW, you should have started a new thread.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #251 on: February 04, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »
The attract mode shows the players attacking stuff with their options. This seems to have something to do with the select button, but the options do odd things when I try it. How exactly do you control them?

Cease firing to 'charge' your options, and then let 'em loose by pressing the fire button.  As for the difference between ships, I haven't noticed much difference in fire power, but their speed varies quite a bit.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

guyjin

« Reply #252 on: February 04, 2008, 05:39:41 PM »
Also, since this was Hudson made-and-released, why doesn't it have a vol. number?

nat

« Reply #253 on: February 04, 2008, 05:40:55 PM »
Because it's not a cartridge?

guyjin

« Reply #254 on: February 04, 2008, 05:48:08 PM »
oh, I thought all Hudson releases had vol. numbers, not just HuCards...  #-o