Author Topic: TurboGrafx CD gear keeps jamming - WTF?  (Read 1062 times)

Ace

Re: TurboGrafx CD gear keeps jamming - WTF?
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 10:57:28 AM »
I only JUST had an opportunity to get my TurboGrafx CD back up and running and repair that ribbon cable.  Thanks a bunch Kattare! :clap:  My TurboGrafx CD is back up and running! 8) :D :dance: *plays Zero Wing to celebrate*

Ace

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 12:16:28 PM »
Hey guys, sorry for the bump, but I just noticed something with my TurboGrafx CD and the issue of the notorious gear getting stuck.  It would seem as though the gear only gets jammed when the laser is right next to the spindle.  Since I repaired the ribbon cable in my TurboGrafx CD, the gear wasn't getting stuck anymore(re-applied some lubricant) unless the laser was right next to the spindle.  That's a little piece of advice for you TurboGrafx CD owners: never leave the TurboGrafx CD idle unless the laser is away from the spindle, otherwise, it'll jam.

nat

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 08:10:03 AM »
In my CD-ROM^2, I took the white metal cover off that insulates the "disc bay" from the laser mechanism and gears so that if/when mine ever gets stuck, I don't actually have to take the CD-ROM apart to unstick it. It works wonderfully. It also eliminates the risk of the dreaded "CD scrape." Just my two cents for folks who don't mind having the drive mechanics exposed to the inside of the "disc bay."

blueraven

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 08:32:36 AM »
Has anyone had the laser get stuck at the end of its travel Duo-style with a CDROM2 unit?

YES Zeta I have this problem with the PCE Duo I just did a full cap replacement on.

It slowed down, made some "angry noise" and ground to a halt, I was able to keep it working a for a bit but now it is sitting at the end of travel, still pulls power from the unit and looks like it wants to move...

DEFINITELY needs a re-greasing. Teeth on the gears are fine. I'm at a standstill right now.

--

EDIT: I have ordered a new HOP-M3 laser for the unit and will post updates and photos regarding the replacement.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:00:19 AM by blueraven »
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Ace

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 04:35:34 PM »
Zeta was asking if the TurboDuo/PC Engine Duo laser jamming problem would also happen on a STANDARD TurboGrafx CD or PC Engine CD-ROM, not the Duo units.  On a Duo, you shouldn't have to worry about the gears disintegrating.  The CD-ROM drive is completely different between the TurboGrafx CD and TurboDuo, with the Duo's drive having no such problem with a gear that could disintegrate at any moment.  I'm pretty sure you can simply disassemble your current HOP-M3 and reposition the laser.  Of course, a good re-greasing would be a good idea.

blueraven

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 04:45:30 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, Ace; I'm going to disassemble the unit. Glad to gear that issue doesn't affect the Duo...
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol