Author Topic: wicked list of PCE games that use the Memory Base 128 MB128, Mouse, & 6 buttons!  (Read 2701 times)

vestcoat

After bringing up the question of "what games are Memory Base compatible?" on the "memory base games" thread sometime ago, i finally went through the complete lists of SCD and SCD/ACD games at PCECP and wrote down every game that uses a M128.  while i was at it, i also made note of the ones that use a 6 botton controller or the mouse.  I did NOT search through the normal CD games, the Hucards or the US released software because i assume that there are few, if any, games that use one of these 3 accesories on those formats (besides SF2). 
this was boring work, so let me know if you see any errors or if there are more games in the other formats that i should include.

M=Mouse
6=six botton controller
128=Memory Base 128

SCD Games
--------------
M         Tenka Tairan
M+128  Alll
6          Advanced VG
128      Aoki Ookami To Shiroki Mejika
128      Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Collection
128       Emerald Dragon
M          Jantei Monogatari 3 Saber Angel
6          Kakutou Haou Densetsu Algunos
M          Lemmings
128       Magicoal
6          Martial Champions
M          Metal Angel
M          Nemurenumori No Chiisana Ohanashi
M          Power Golf 2
128       Sankokushi lll
128       Shin Megami Tensei
128       Tadaima Yusha Boshuuchuu
M          Tokimeki Memorial
6          Ys 4

SCD/ACD Games
--------------------
M+128      Atlas
M+128      Brandish
M+128      Eikan Wa Kimini
6+128       Linda Cube
6              Mahjong Sword Princess Quest Gaiden
128           Popful Mail
6+M+128  Princess Maker 2
128           Private Eye Doll
6+128       Super Real Mahjong P ll + lll Custom
6+128       "                           " PV Custom
128           Vasteel 2

ACD Games
--------------
3           World Heros 2
6           Fatal Fury 2
6           Fatal Fury Special
6           Art Of Fighting
6           Battlefield '94
6           Kabuki Itouryodan
6+128   Fire Pro Female Wrestling

Hucards
---------
6  Street Fighter 2 CE
6  Strip Fighter
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:06:06 PM by vestcoat »

Keranu

wicked list of PCE games that use M128, Mouse or 6 bottons!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 04:01:43 PM »
Thanks for the list. This answers some of my questions.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Leroy

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 04:28:44 PM »
What does the Memory Base 128 do?

vestcoat

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 06:11:12 PM »
scroll down to the "memory base games" thread.  i explain it some on there

esteban

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 10:16:09 PM »
awesome work vestcoat! i love stuff like this... and it was smart to make note of several things rather than just the MB 128 issue!

I'll have to update my 3 and 6-button game list at magicengine.com when I get a chance now:

http://www.magicenginefx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1082&highlight=

and we can also update this:

http://www.magicenginefx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1179&highlight=mouse

:)
  |    | 

vestcoat

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 07:54:48 AM »
cool, thanks for the threads steve.
ok, so strip fighter and Ys 4 also use 6 bottons.
i forgot that brandish uses the mouse (i didn't actually look at it since i own it).
world heroes 2 is only a 3-botton game.  
Art of Fighting offers what i will catagorize as "shitty" 6  botton support, as it only uses bottons #1,2,3, and 6.   :wink:
i don't feel like comparing the lists of mouse games right now.
does anyone know if there are any more cards or normal CDs that use any of these accesories ?

twor2005

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 05:13:47 PM »
Well the Neo Geo is a 4 button beast so its only natural Art of Fighting would only make use of four buttons. I would hope those buttons are programmable though- I would definitely want the taunt in the top row.

I had no idea Ys IV used the 6 button. What the heck do you do with all those buttons? Its been ages since I played it.

esteban

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 06:35:00 PM »
Quote from: "twor2005"
Well the Neo Geo is a 4 button beast so its only natural Art of Fighting would only make use of four buttons. I would hope those buttons are programmable though- I would definitely want the taunt in the top row.

I had no idea Ys IV used the 6 button. What the heck do you do with all those buttons? Its been ages since I played it.
As I noted in the thread, the 6 buttons are used to improve the navigation of menus in Ys IV:
A. Ys IV (The extra buttons are used as shortcuts to sub menus)

Pretty kool idea!
  |    | 

twor2005

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 06:54:42 PM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
Quote from: "twor2005"

As I noted in the thread, the 6 buttons are used to improve the navigation of menus in Ys IV:
A. Ys IV (The extra buttons are used as shortcuts to sub menus)

Pretty kool idea!

Its not much but it doesn't hurt when it comes to justifying the purchase of the 6 button controller. I bought one of those Smartjoy converters that let you use PS controllers on PCE but it was very cheaply made for a smartjoy product. There's nothing like the real nec avenue etc for those 6 button games.

esteban

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 03:52:25 AM »
This thread is awesome. I love this stuff.

While I love vestcoat for his cutting sarcasm and related hijinks, some folks might not be as familiar with his other side: the obsessive, gotta-be-exhaustive, explore-minutiae-to-the-end side.

STATUS: I love vestcoat. I also love Necro because I wasn't able to find this thread the other day (and only had the foggiest notion of its contents).

|    | 

InfraMan

Re: wicked list of PCE games that use M128, Mouse or 6 bottons!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 05:04:59 AM »
STATUS: I love vestcoat. I also love Necro because I wasn't able to find this thread the other day (and only had the foggiest notion of its contents).

Ha, it is completely weird that you just happened to revive this old thread now... I used the search feature a few moments ago to find a list of mouse-compatible games, and when I got to the bottom of this ancient thread I noticed that the last post was from this morning. Cool coincidence! :D

Also, very useful thread!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 05:13:05 AM »
I wasn't able to find this thread

It'd be easier to find if it had MB128 (or Memory Base 128) and button in the title.  :P
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

vestcoat

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 03:01:35 PM »
Ah, 2005. The limitless horizons of weird PC Engine stuff to explore. Undocumented pockets of the "Big Woods" remaining on the internet.  The MB128. The TE multiplayer games. No one cared about French manuals, we knew f*ck-all about the LD library, and Nat would still insist that Magical Chase was a $100 game.

Now I'm just an old a$$hole sitting on my screen porch cursing at the Racketboy f*cks who clear cut the forest, raped the natives, and built a suburban hell of Buy-It-Now Tyvek® HomeWrap®, TurboChip shingles,  and VGA-graded siding.

vestcoat

It'd be easier to find if it had MB128 (or Memory Base 128) and button in the title.  :P
Fixed. (2005 was also before I went back to school.)

BigusSchmuck

I'm going to necro bump this as I was looking for games that utilized the pce mouse. Could one of the mods kindly sticky this? I'm still curious if games like Loom or Beyond Shadowgate will work with the mouse or if you are absolutely pigeon holed into using the mouse on mouse compatible games only...