Author Topic: Turbo Roms On Disc  (Read 1347 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: Turbo Roms On Disc
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 10:51:20 AM »
You'd need to soak in alot of 6502 assembly, understand how the hardware works, and then basically manually diddle around with the ROMs so you'd have to know how to mess with them.  How comfortable are you with hex editing?

Tom (malducci) comes and goes, deactivating his account each time. Maybe he'll come back to provide you the patch if noone else has it.  I sure don't.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Ace

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 03:25:15 PM »
Heh... no worries about the 6502 ASM bit.  I've got a lot of patience when it comes to learning new programming languages.  I haven't done any hex editing whatsoever, but I'll be more than willing to learn how to use a hex editor.

I have no clue how the PC Engine's hardware works, so I'd appreciate it if someone with profound knowledge of the PC Engine's hardware would explain to me how everything works.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »
I have no clue how the PC Engine's hardware works, so I'd appreciate it if someone with profound knowledge of the PC Engine's hardware would explain to me how everything works.

erm, I don't mean this with any disrespect, but if you want to get shit done, you are going to have to research the piss out of it. :D

Get HuC/MagicKit from zeograd.com     It comes with hardware explanations sort of.  Start there and see how you feel afterwards.

Ace

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »
Hey, research is what I do for figuring out console mods and how to modify emulators, so I'll get to it right away for modifying PC Engine HuCards to work with the CD-ROM drive.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 05:47:48 PM »
Hey, research is what I do for figuring out console mods and how to modify emulators, so I'll get to it right away for modifying PC Engine HuCards to work with the CD-ROM drive.

If you can read Japanese, there are some nice hardware diagrams in the Develo book also.  The diagrams confuse the f*ck outta me though because I'm not an engineer, hah

Ace

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 05:52:18 PM »
Oh jeez, I can't read Japanese at all.  Got any other suggestions?

And by the way, doesn't the Super HuCard ISO need to be decompiled in order to modify all that's needed to make the games that have problems on the disc work?  Wouldn't the same be true of PC Engine ROMs?  Is there any tool that can decompile that stuff?

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 08:43:39 PM »
Oh jeez, I can't read Japanese at all.  Got any other suggestions?

And by the way, doesn't the Super HuCard ISO need to be decompiled in order to modify all that's needed to make the games that have problems on the disc work?  Wouldn't the same be true of PC Engine ROMs?  Is there any tool that can decompile that stuff?

I know there is a disassembler on Zeograds site to do roms.  I never looked into the SuperHucard stuff that much .

You would need to rip it to bin/cue probably and then diddle around with it.

Rockabilly Paradise

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 05:47:41 PM »
buy a wii at a pawn shop for like 70 bucks, load homebrew channel on it, download wiiengine, then play as many roms as you can count on an 2 gb sd card in high resolution. 

Ace

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 06:06:46 PM »
I already have a Wii(bought brand new in 2007) with custom channels I created for numerous PC Engine titles, but it's just not right.  Most PC Engine games released on the Wii have this video filter that makes the picture look really blurry and the sound is off like most early PC Engine emulators where the White Noise is too high-pitched.  ADPCM is also slightly more garbled and a fair bit quieter than on a PC Engine.  I'm not a big emulation fan, but I do keep my Wii with multiple PC Engine games on it(no WiiEngine) if ever I feel like playing some PC Engine games without using the original hardware or to play games I don't have on cartridge.

But I would REALLY like to AT LEAST get Salamander to work in Super HuCard, as it's my favorite game on the disc.  The 2 parts of R-Type seem to work just fine, and that's a start, so I'd like Salamander to work just as well.  No way Gradius will work, as that's a 4 megabit cartridge and the Super System Card only has 2 megabits of RAM to load the game data.

geise

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 02:48:12 AM »
Just fork out the dough for a flash cart then.  Save yourself the headache.  Plus the superhucard cd has many errors in quite few of the games.  Also Duo's hate shitty ass cdr's as well.  If you're using the superhucard cd burn it to a a high quality Silver CD-R.  It's as close to a pressed CD as you'll get.

Ace

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 05:16:47 AM »
I use Maxell CD-R Pros with pale blue bases, as well as Sony CD-Rs with beige bases and my PC Engine Duo-R reads them no problem.  Even my super unreliable TurboGrafx CD will read those discs and not complain.  Besides, I like to mess around with code.  Why would I modify MAME otherwise(aside from fixing accuracy problems, mainly in the sound department)?

But I am seriously considering a flash cartridge, especially for SuperGrafx games, as getting the originals(well, 1941 Counter Attack, at least) will cost as much as a single flash cartridge.  I will, however, still get original Gradius and Salamander HuCards.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 12:07:42 PM »
I use Maxell CD-R Pros with pale blue bases, as well as Sony CD-Rs with beige bases and my PC Engine Duo-R reads them no problem.  Even my super unreliable TurboGrafx CD will read those discs and not complain.  Besides, I like to mess around with code.  Why would I modify MAME otherwise(aside from fixing accuracy problems, mainly in the sound department)?

But I am seriously considering a flash cartridge, especially for SuperGrafx games, as getting the originals(well, 1941 Counter Attack, at least) will cost as much as a single flash cartridge.  I will, however, still get original Gradius and Salamander HuCards.

Cease using those CD-Rs now.  They may be OK now, but not for long.

You want you some diamond silverbacks or teiyo silver ones.

Anything else is blasphemy.

Ace

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 05:10:02 PM »
What's wrong with blue Taiyos?  There are none of those silver discs anywhere in my area.  I only trust Sony, Ritek and Taiyo dyes in the discs I burn, so whatever I find, I use, with priority put to discs with Taiyo dyes as those have the highest quality dyes.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 05:50:07 PM »
What's wrong with blue Taiyos?  There are none of those silver discs anywhere in my area.  I only trust Sony, Ritek and Taiyo dyes in the discs I burn, so whatever I find, I use, with priority put to discs with Taiyo dyes as those have the highest quality dyes.

You want disc bottoms that resemble a real pressed CD.   Nice, sexy, silvery shiney ones. 

Ace

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 05:59:18 PM »
Well I can't find any of those, so I just settle with whatever I find that's got high-quality dyes.