Author Topic: PC Engine homebrew music styles  (Read 307 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
PC Engine homebrew music styles
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:58:18 PM »
So, I will have a pretty big job ahead of me doing music for Retrocade.

I was wondering about a few things...

Pyramid Plunder, as it stands may not have CD music at all.  I think the PSG will suit it nicely.

I have some music ideas coming for Defender clone as well, mainly some power metal sounding PSG stuff.....

but here comes the big question:

How many people just have to have CD music for everrrrry game?

I planned on some CD music for the Skate or Die 2 ramp for sure, and revamped Insanity stuff...

but what about the other stuff? 

and bearing that in mind, the PCE never got any FM, so would anyone be strongly against the use of FM instruments for the CD-Stuff?

I am mostly just trying to get feedback here to see what people want.  Fire away with the suggestions!
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

nat

Re: PC Engine homebrew music styles
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 08:06:53 PM »
I prefer superbly well-done PSG over CD/redbook music. But if it's a choice between poor PSG and poor-to-average redbook... Well, in that case I'll take the redbook.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:43:40 PM »
I always prefer redbook on the cd game.  I like it best, when the short tunes are PSG, & the regular tunes are redbook.  I mean, it's a cd game, it should have cd music IMO.  As for FM, I'm deffinitly not a fan of FM stuff, but some of it sounds great.  Ultimately I wouldn't be opposed to FM CD stuff.

lord_cack

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:15:30 PM »
The quality of the music is far more important than the medium used to create it. So give me good music and I don't care where it comes from.
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 03:04:17 AM »
Superbly done redbook sounds the best to me, plus it frees up a few resources for more/better sound effects.  At the same time, there's nothing wrong with great PSG, especially if it prevents annoying reloads and seek times.

As for using FM, I could care less.  Good music is good music, regardless of what instrument is used, even bag pipes!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 05:54:39 AM »
I prefer superbly well-done PSG over CD/redbook music.

Me too. :)  Hopefully the PSG I've done so far hasn't been too terrible.

I know defender as it stands right now has 2 psg power metal tunes.  I originally wrote them on guitar, so doing redbook of them wouldn't be too horribly hard.

The thing I am debating most is which games to do Chip/CD with a choice of which you want to have at the title screen again or something like Insanity..  the music for defender and PP were so far designed to be loopable since they are just level-tunes.  I don't know if having a 1.5ish minute CD tune constantly restarting as you blow shit up in a defender clone will jive too well with people.  The chip ones restart with no pause. 

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 08:25:45 PM »
For your listening displeasure, a 15 minute video I made a while back.

BACKSTORY:  My friend got the same guitar and amp as me and complained that it sounded like shit.  I made a video to be like "uh no?"

Recorded with a digital camera propped on a desk.
Stuff in video: I don't know.  I randomly played nonsense until I thought I recorded enough to prove my point.  Some of it was done on the fly as in, I just started flailing or making it up as i played, hence alot of it sounding kinda stupid, lol.

BUT theres one of the PC engine defender songs hidden in there

Ill give you a hint.  45 seconds in.  Thats part of it, haha. Theres another song at like 3:13.

ANYWAY the point of the video is, some of this stuff (the less spastic, better planned stuff like mentoned above) could potentially be PCE CD music.  Recorded with good equipment, with drums/etc added in also....

I was thinking possibly for the defender games, skate or die, and maybe other projects!?

http://www.aetherbyte.com/downloadables/lol.wmv

sorry in advance for hurting your ears.