Author Topic: The State of Shmups  (Read 1119 times)

Keranu

The State of Shmups
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 02:31:42 PM »
Yesterday I was playing some shooters on MAME, around four Cave games and I even played through that damn Dragon Blaze game again, along with these bullet invasion shooters for PC that ST DRAGON sent to my email. Three of the Cave games I played were pretty fun actually (don't know the names off hand), but ESP Ra De was ultra shitty and of course Dragon Blaze wasn't any better really, especially considering the fact of how short the damn levels are (Psikyo sucks, I agree with Nemo about Cave now).

I'm surprised how well I did in them because I could usually make it to level 3 with using one credit. They're not really hard at all because the collision detection isn't nearly as strict as a person would assume because you can have like 5-10 pixels of a projectile touch you and you still won't get hurt.

Even though I do have a better appreciation for these "bullet fests", I still prefer the 16-bit and below shooters just because I generally find them more original still and have a greater classic-style fun factor that never gets old. Hell I think the older shooters are actually harder than the bullet fests because I found myself dying MORE in older shooters.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

akamichi

The State of Shmups
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 01:45:00 AM »
Old school shooters are harder because the bullets are faster. :)  Gotta conserve sprites on the 8/16bit consoles!

Keranu

The State of Shmups
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 02:48:15 AM »
Hehe.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Ninja Spirit

The State of Shmups
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 03:34:55 AM »
Guwange was a good cave shooter.

http://shootthecore.moonpod.com/PClinks1.html

Just go y'all.