Author Topic: My CDROM2 PCE (white) try to spin but not  (Read 378 times)

Rollinpizza

My CDROM2 PCE (white) try to spin but not
« on: November 30, 2023, 04:19:54 PM »
Hi everybody!

My cdrom2 pce is not working properly. The symptoms is tries to spin but suddenly stops. Reading some threads from here and the net,  maybe there was a problem with the capacitors related with the motor. So I did a full recap of the module. Also, I replaced the classical gear by new one and greased the mechanics of the cdrom drive with lithium grease.

Well, with all that, the symptoms haven't changed much but I noticed that if I move the lent outwards the center, when I power on the drive and put a cd, it goes to the track 0. Furthermore, the lent moves up and down. But there is no light...

When I opened the module I realized that the module was manipulated before because the ribbon cable plugged on the big connector had adhesive tape to isolate a weld point and, the ribbon cable plugged on the small connector is not connected on the proper side (I've checked this after reading another thread from here).

So, I really don't know if the ribbon cables is well connected. There is other thing that worries me, the pots. Maybe they manipulated them trying to fix the drive. So I don't know if the values are the correct or not.

Summarizing:

• I don't know if the ribbon cables are well connected. I don't know the correct sides.
  • The pots maybe are manipulated. I don't know if the values are the correct.
  • There is no light on the lent (maybe a bad connection of the ribbon cable?)

I need good references to start a good diagnostic.

Thanks for all the help!!

Keith Courage

Re: My CDROM2 PCE (white) try to spin but not
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 06:34:14 PM »
The larger ribbon cable should be inserted with the contacts facing outwards away from the center of the drive. Also, the copper looking grounding strip on that ribbon cable doesn't need to be there. So just remove it because they are a hassle trying to keep it on with tape. Smallest ribbon cable has the contacts facing inwards towards the center of the drive.

Also look for any small cracks or tears in the lens ribbon cables.

Your lens might also just be bad. Be careful when greasing up the lens rails and gearing. It's really not needed and too much grease can get into the lens, stop switch and other parts breaking them. I've received a bunch of CD drives for repair with parts ruined due to grease. So this is why I bring that up.

here is a picture of a good starting point for the potentiometers.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 09:30:54 AM »
Our Johhny Turbo on the spot with some good repair advice! Keith is a legend 'round these parts, heed their words wisely and you'll be on the correct path.

At least you get to experience the wonderful HuCard library in the meantime.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Rollinpizza

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 03:25:09 PM »
Ok!

The larger ribbon and small ribbon were bad connected. I've attached images with the correct positions.

I've checked the ribbons and apparently are not damaged.

The potentiometers are more or less in the same position than the image shared by Keith. But there is a little difference in lens alignment and the spindle/motor gain potentiometers. You can check on the larger ribbon image.

I've removed the copper looking grounding strip and the ground cable itself welded there.

About the grease, I think is ok. But I attached some images so you can check it too.

After all, the symptoms are the same. Maybe the laser is broken? :( What do you think?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 03:57:28 PM by Rollinpizza »

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 08:43:22 PM »
Yeah, your lens could just be bad. One of the two larger BA chips on the board could be bad but I'd try the actually lens first.

From looking at your photos, that revision board is the one that doesn't suffer from bad capacitors. (there were two versions).

Here are the models of Sony discmans where you can find a replacement lens.

D-2
D-4
D-11
D-12
D-33
D-34

If not being able to read CDR discs isn't important to you, I have some some extra CD lenses on hand that I'd sell cheap since they only work with real CDs. $12 including shipping if in the U.S. At least it would be good enough to let you know if the lens is the issue or not.

If you need to be able to read CDR discs, then order a sony discman for a replacement.

Oh correct me if I'm wrong but that yellow wire on the stop switch looks like it's about to fall off. Might need to resolder that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 07:28:21 PM by Keith Courage »

Rollinpizza

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 01:55:52 PM »
Ok! My dad have a sony discman d-11 ^^ and I have it because he doesn't use it. But I wanna restore it (it has the battery contacts sulfated) and I don't want to sacrifice its lens. I'm searching for an used and working unit and I've found one for 20€.

I have some doubts about the replacement. I have to change all the pack (motor and lens) or only the lens? If it's possible to replace only the lens, which screws I have to unscrew to unmount the rails?

I've resoldered the yellow wire.

Keith Courage

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2023, 07:29:48 PM »
You have to replace just the lens only. The motor and assembly in sony disc mans is not the same. Be careful removing the lens ribbon cables inside a sony discman. They don't leave much slack on them the way the cables are routed.

Rollinpizza

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 06:36:12 PM »
Ok! I've replaced the lens and it spins, but it doesn't read apparently.

I've inserted a cd game, after I've pressed run. Just it begins to spin and it says the message "Just a moment...". After that it doesn't load the game. The lens model of the discman is a kss-220a (not a Kss-162A). Maybe I have to recalibrate the pots so that the unit works with the new lens?

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 06:46:38 PM by Rollinpizza »

Rollinpizza

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2023, 03:45:50 PM »
Ok! I've adjusted the pots positions like Keith image and I've got that audio cd sounds! But only until the track 5 (it has 15 tracks). Trying adjusting vr105 I've got to arrive to track 6 but when it arrives track 7, it can't play and the stop button doesn't work. After that, I'adjusted the pot position like Keith image but now it doesn't sound... I will try adjusting by ear following the guide of the forum and see again. But I have a bad feeling... :(

Rollinpizza

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 07:56:05 AM »
Finally I've got it that cdrom2 works!  O0

It was a problem of contact. The shell of the cdrom2 is very degraded. Most of the screw holes is broken and the plate where rest the lens and the motor of the drive is in a similar state. Because of this, I think that the noise while is spinning the cd is normal because of the vibrations and is very difficult fix the screw perfectly.

But, there is another problem. I have a CDROM2 Super System Card and a super cdrom game (Godzilla). Theoritically, it should work but not. The hucard loads ok but after pressing run to load the cd game, I have a warning screen with only godzilla walking. I've tested with a cdrom game (not super cdrom) and it works.

It's very strange.

Some points to keep in mind:

The Pc Engine is not recapped yet.

Could it be a cap problem? Or maybe an error reading of the hucard when it plays a super cdrom game?

As always, thanks a lot!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 07:14:02 PM »
I have a warning screen with only godzilla walking.

With scrolling text overlaying Godzilla?  That sounds like the one for when the backup ram is full, corrupt, or otherwise not available.

https://www.vgmuseum.com/features/warn2/backupcd/godzilla-1.gif

There's also one for when the super system card isn't found, but that has more beasties.

https://www.vgmuseum.com/features/warn2/systemcard/godzilla.gif

If you're lucky, all you need to do is delete some saves or format the ram.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Rollinpizza

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2023, 07:23:51 PM »
I have a warning screen with only godzilla walking.

With scrolling text overlaying Godzilla?  That sounds like the one for when the backup ram is full, corrupt, or otherwise not available.

https://www.vgmuseum.com/features/warn2/backupcd/godzilla-1.gif

There's also one for when the super system card isn't found, but that has more beasties.

https://www.vgmuseum.com/features/warn2/systemcard/godzilla.gif

If you're lucky, all you need to do is delete some saves or format the ram.

It's the first one (godzilla-1.gif). How to format the ram or delete saves??

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 04:46:37 PM »
Hit select on the system card startup screen.  The top is delete (which takes you to a screen where you can pick which files you want to delete, not just a delete all), the middle is for format (which does wipe everything), and the bottom is exit.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Rollinpizza

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2023, 06:20:56 PM »
Hit select on the system card startup screen.  The top is delete (which takes you to a screen where you can pick which files you want to delete, not just a delete all), the middle is for format (which does wipe everything), and the bottom is exit.

Thanks Necromancer for the help! Finally, I formated the ram completely and now loads scdroms  O0 O0

Now I have the cdrom2 fully operational, I have to buy an one for parts where the shell has a decent status.

Thanks to Keith Courage too for all the help.

I've learned a lot in this project!