Author Topic: Win yourself 2 free copies of Mysterious Song :) Details inside...  (Read 3577 times)

nodtveidt

Re: Win yourself 2 free copies of Mysterious Song :) Details inside...
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 02:10:44 PM »
Saturday is the expected release of the final beta; my daughter's been sick so I've had to stop working to take care of her but now that she's doing better, I'm back to work on this. Friday will be the final audio cuts, which will lead to the inclusion of the last cutscenes. The next two days will be dedicated to completing the special extended game mode... going very smoothly so far.

TheClash603

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 02:14:56 PM »
Saturday is the expected release of the final beta; my daughter's been sick so I've had to stop working to take care of her but now that she's doing better, I'm back to work on this. Friday will be the final audio cuts, which will lead to the inclusion of the last cutscenes. The next two days will be dedicated to completing the special extended game mode... going very smoothly so far.

Woooooo!

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 02:59:40 AM »

Woooooo!

HOOOoooooo!

incrediblehark

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2011, 03:59:58 AM »
Sounds like its almost finished - can't wait for this game to be released!  :mrgreen: Hope my preorder still counts from over a year ago.

nodtveidt

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011, 04:17:14 AM »
Whoever paid for a pre-order is still in the order list. :dance:

Arjak

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 08:57:48 AM »
It was really close... there was a definite quality comparison between the submissions of Arjak and TwistedMind. However, in the end, I made the choice based on overall spirit of the submission. Thus, the second-place winner is:

Arjak

who wins one free copy of the game. Of course, the track won't be used in the production, but hey, a freebie is a freebie is a freebie. :D

I was a little disappointed that I didn't win 1st Place, but I'm so happy to have gotten 2nd as well as getting my own copy of this game for free, that I feel great now. Besides, there's always next time. :wink:

Congrats Vestcoat! I can't wait to hear your track! :clap:

Old Rover, let me know when you'll need my address so I can send you a PM.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Tatsujin

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2011, 12:02:14 PM »
Paul will win!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 12:41:06 PM »

Woooooo!

HOOOoooooo!

MOOOoooooo!

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 04:55:33 AM »

Woooooo!

HOOOoooooo!

MOOOoooooo!

Shooooooooe!

nodtveidt

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 06:21:28 PM »
Saturday isn't going to happen, by the way... I discovered that there's still one major detail that hasn't been completed yet, and that's the inclusion of the French script. It was included into one area, but has to be included everywhere... however, because adding the French script exceeds the 8KB limitation on near data, it has to be added as far data, which involves a partial code rewrite in many areas of the game. This takes awhile, because the dialogue has to be copied into a new external script file, control codes have to be added to it, and then it has to be run through my binary script parser, which also produces a guide file which is used to reference the exact location in the far data of each text string. It takes no less than six hours to re-implement an entire area's dialogue. Another issue with the French script is that the font had to be expanded to make room for all the special characters that aren't present in English or Spanish... I had to move parts of the UI into the extended space and do some minor code tweaks to accommodate.

Also, I was taking a look through some of the documentation for huc/pceas... just for the hell of it... and discovered an interesting flaw in pceas... it offers no method of procedure optimization, so procs often get padded with huge amounts of dead codespace. This becomes especially apparent when using HuC, since C coders are very used to just writing functions that sit just about anywhere with no real need for concern about their placement in the source. This changes everything; as a test, I reorganized the battle program, which was 240KB before the change, and managed to reduce it to 224KB just by grouping the smallest functions together. That's two entire banks worth of dead code eliminated from the game. That is EXTREMELY significant. With this in mind, I am going to write a small utility to calculate the size of each proc and organize them as optimally as possible to reduce codespace waste. Of course, such a utility will no doubt take awhile to write, so I'm going to wait until MSR is in final beta before attempting it. One thing's for sure though... it will most certainly help with Project MONOLITH, as the test program for that shot to 240KB with no understandable reason why... but now the reason is crystal clear and I bet I can wipe out four or more dead code banks just by reorganizing the function order. :)

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2011, 06:36:01 PM »

Woooooo!

HOOOoooooo!

MOOOoooooo!

Shooooooooe!

GOOOoooooooooooooooo!

nodtveidt

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2011, 06:39:41 PM »
Just to test it... I went into Monolith's demo code and moved just a few smaller functions to the bottom of the source in the hopes that they would fill a single bank. The overlay size dropped from 240KB to 216KB. Holy hell what a difference. :) There's three banks with minimal effort... any wagers on getting a fourth one shot down? :D

Mishran

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2011, 06:54:05 PM »
Are preorders still up for this game? If so how can I get myself a piece of the action. I have been checking on the status of this game on your site every now and then for a while. Really looking forward too it just like everyone else here. BTW Rover frozen utopia has been throwing up a red flag with my McAfee antivirus here recently. Says to take extreme caution when navigating the site? Trying to steal my identity? Trust me when Isay you do NOT want it...

nodtveidt

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2011, 07:14:23 PM »
That's odd... can you give me more details of what it says? And no, the site isn't out to steal anyone's identity... it's a simplistic, pure HTML site with absolutely no active scripting aside from the forum, which is always kept up-to-date. I'm checking .htaccess right now and it's 100% fine. A check of all relevant HTML files indicates no issues.

Preorders are not going to be put back up until we're up to the release candidate, which will come after the final beta test.

nodtveidt

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2011, 03:43:23 AM »
Take extreme caution on our site! It'll blow up your computer and impregnate your dog!

No seriously... frozenutopia.com is on a shared IP, and there was probably a problem with one of the other accounts on the same server at some point. Nothing to worry about.