Author Topic: I give up. The Genesis is true 16Bit and the PCE is a 16Bit imposter.  (Read 8144 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: I give up. The Genesis is true 16Bit and the PCE is a 16Bit imposter.
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 09:48:11 AM »
This topic would be kind of funny if it weren't true.

But the Genesis really does smash the PCE across its mighty knee, so I'm not quite sure what all the joking is about.

allow me to demonstrate the sheer power of the PCE. 

The games so real, so intense.

I FEEL LIKE IM THERE.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Opethian

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

Joe Redifer

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 12:02:51 PM »

The PCE: Games so real, so intense.

Wow, that was almost too intense.  It broke my computer just playing that video! The only way that could be more intense is if the screen slowed down and stopped scrolling midway and scrolled back to where it started because the game is too intense to scroll it all the way.

nat

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 01:52:54 PM »

The PCE: Games so real, so intense.

Wow, that was almost too intense.  It broke my computer just playing that video! The only way that could be more intense is if the screen slowed down and stopped scrolling midway and scrolled back to where it started because the game is too intense to scroll it all the way.

Slowed down?

Joe Redifer

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 03:01:10 PM »
Yeah man I've gotten tickets for doing less than that!

blueraven

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 03:47:35 PM »
Yeah man I've gotten tickets for doing less than that!

That is because it's teh Denver, home of teh worst drivers in teh world. Teh Denver drivers should get more of teh tickets IMHO.

[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Joe Redifer

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 04:10:38 PM »
You're right, Tats!

ceti alpha

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2011, 04:36:57 PM »
This topic would be kind of funny if it weren't true.

But the Genesis really does smash the PCE across its mighty knee, so I'm not quite sure what all the joking is about.

Well, you're free to think that, but I would argue that you're kinda overstating the "mightiness" of the Genesis. If it's your favourite console, that's fine, but my point in the original post was to highlight how ridiculous the "bit" comparisons were, bitd. The bit wars were just marketing ploys, which were very effective for Sega....in North America. The PCE's 8bit CPU was just as capable as the Genny's CPU and more capable than the SNES's CPU. Each of the consoles had things they excelled at, but to call the PCE a 16bit imposter is plain ridiculous. The proof is in the games.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 04:40:05 PM by ceti alpha »

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2011, 04:58:27 PM »
The TurboGrafx-16 was a 16-bit imposter.  It was advertised as being 16-bit, and it wasn't.  They even stuck "16" in the system's name in a blatant effort to trick people.  Why is it ridiculous to state the truth?

As far as capabilities, the Genesis was capable of far more than the PCE in every way except onscreen colors.  People make fun of "blast processing", but it's a real thing -- it's a marketing term to signify the system's power, a power that the other systems lacked.  There's a good reason that the PCE never had Ranger-X.  In terms of technology, that cart puts Sapphire to shame.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Vecanti

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2011, 05:32:49 PM »
The TurboGrafx-16 was a 16-bit imposter.  It was advertised as being 16-bit, and it wasn't.  They even stuck "16" in the system's name in a blatant effort to trick people.  Why is it ridiculous to state the truth?

As far as capabilities, the Genesis was capable of far more than the PCE in every way except onscreen colors.  People make fun of "blast processing", but it's a real thing --

They're just gonna hate EmeraldRocker, so it's no use arguing.  You can show them vids all day long, but with PCEs lack of 16bit CPU and Blast Processing it couldn't accomplish games like this, real 16bit blast power, 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2011, 07:30:21 PM »
As far as capabilities, the Genesis was capable of far more than the PCE in every way except onscreen colors.  People make fun of "blast processing", but it's a real thing -- it's a marketing term to signify the system's power, a power that the other systems lacked.  There's a good reason that the PCE never had Ranger-X.  In terms of technology, that cart puts Sapphire to shame.

You make it seem like the colors were irrelevant. To me they were more important than almost anything, so the Genesis, to this day, just looks like mud to me. We had real mud eons before video games were invented. We don't need to spend $200 on a game machine to simulate mud.

One thing that makes these sorts of stupid arguments pretty much totally irrelevant is that unlike today, where a game system and its tools are so well designed from day one that we see %90 of a machines potential within the first year of its existence, the pre-PS1 era really had a majority of underdeveloped games. Sure the Genesis is *technically* closer to a Neo Geo than it is to a PC Engine (and the SegaCD was a f*cking powerhouse, no joke), the *reality* is that you sure as f*ck would never know it by looking at the actual games. On the Genesis, for every Earthworm Jim there is a six pack with Home Alone, Death Duel, Time Killers, Beavis and Butthead, and two generic sports titles.

You know that kid who is "smart" but always gets D or worse in class? He says, "I could have gotten an A, if I was trying." Well, its bullshit because if he could have, he would have. His potential may be there, but not actually doing it is, when it all comes down to it, the same as not being able to do it. I know, I was that kid in high school. I was plenty smart enough to get As, but barely even graduated. When I eventually felt like giving a shit I went to college and graduated with a 3.7. Same f*cking kid, different day.

If all the 16-bit systems were eventually as well understood and catered to as the Neo Geo was by the end of its life, then we'd know for damn sure who had the best stuff, but the bulk of all games from that period are barely running, let alone system maximizers.

Now that these systems aren't being developed for any longer (no offense, home brew people) all that matters is whats out there to actually play, and what's out there is pretty sad on Genesis because interested and talented developers are just as important as hardware. This is why Nintendo always seems to make games that are more interesting to more people and make more money than most of the rest of the industry combined with hardware that is often times inferior to everyone else's.

If you can't use it, it isn't real.

Otaking

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 10:36:10 PM »
IMO what make's a console is it games,
16 bit, 8 bit, 7903S bit, 2 zillion colours etc.. all doesn't matter,
what matters is are the games any good? what game developers supported the console?

The Super Famicom had Shigeru Miyamoto, Square Soft, Enix and Natsume.

The Megadrive had Sega arcade conversions, Treasure and Technosoft.

and the PC Engine had Naxat, Taito and of course had Hudson Soft! imo this is what makes it a great console.

To be totally honest of the three I think the Super Famicom is the best,
I truly love the PCE and it is just cooler than the rest, but the selection of SFC games Shigeru Miyamoto had a hand in just lifts it above any other console ever IMO.

Tatsujin

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2011, 01:23:55 AM »
If you can't use it, it isn't real.

True, pictures or it didn't happen :!:

and lol.. ranger-x? a flickerflacker fest deluxe. the only thing the MD was superiorto the PCE was its hardware parallax scrolling, which could easly allow to scroll a front layer behind a back layer in any desired direction (sonic e.g).

beside of that, anything could be done on the pc with ease as well PLUS better.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Opethian

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2011, 01:33:30 AM »
I can see the argument with the Genesis winning over the puny TG16 library. But Megadrive versus PCE? NO BREAD MAN NO BREAD!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 01:53:18 AM by Opethian »

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

Bonknuts

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2011, 01:50:30 AM »

Just like the Genesis claimed to have 16bit graphics, but the graphics processor wasn't a true 16bit chip. If the Genesis graphics were 16bit, wouldn't that make the SNES graphics more like 24bit? None of the three systems were entirely/completely 16bit as far as I know. I don't think the bits of the Genesis graphics processor had anything to do with the colors onscreen or the amount of layers/sprites it could put out. It just happens that people ignorantly care about the processor bits more than any other chip in the system, even though it doesn't have a direct impact on performance that people think it does. And the funny thing for consoles being the cpu has less to do with what you see on screen, than computers or systems - yet people put almost all emphasis on it. It's kind of silly to define a system by its main cpu. The proof the pudding, is in the eating. The TG16 might be the lowest of the three systems are far as technical capabilities, but that doesn't make it any less of the 16bit generation of consoles. The only real difference between the Genesis and TG16, is the second background layer. All other differences are minor in comparison. And where does the SuperGrafx fit in? Technically, it puts the Genesis to shame in almost all areas of video. The Genesis being a 'true' 16bit console because of its cpu and the SGX not, makes the Genesis rather pathetic in that context. Calling the TG16 a 16bit imposter is rather silly.

Blast Processing is a marketing term. How can that be a real thing? If you look at the development manuals of the Genesis, I don't think you'll find it anywhere in there. Didn't a few TG16 commercials claim the TG16 had 'turbo power'? Would that mean it's a real thing? Interesting about Ranger-X comment. Genesis fans put a lot of emphasis on animation and the number of moving objects on screen. I think any Genesis fan would think Sapphire is both up to snuff and impressive, even if released on the Genesis. Except for the annoying sound FX, but plenty of Genesis games have crappy SFX too :P. What aspect about Ranger-X do you think puts Sapphire to shame? It's already hard to compare to very different kinds of games, but I'll keep an open mind.