Author Topic: Pioneer LaserActive LD Display Issue  (Read 743 times)

TaoPaiPai

Pioneer LaserActive LD Display Issue
« on: March 08, 2018, 05:23:04 AM »
On a recent trip back to Japan, I picked up a PAC-N1 for a very reasonable price. I've always wanted to have a full MD/PCE LaserActive set, so I was really excited to find this piece.

I've since been looking for a decent deal on either a bare CLD-A100 or one with a Genesis/MD PAC included. There are a few on the Bay, but a lot of them seem quite overpriced.

There is also one that is on sale locally very close to me, but it seems to have LD playback issues. Has anyone ever seen anything like this and thinks there may be a way to repair it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Laser-Active-CLD-A100-Console-LaserDisc-CD-Player-AS-IS/123007058952?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The problem is shown on the last two images. Apparently this is only happening with LDs and not with PAC games.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Pioneer LaserActive LD Display Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 06:07:44 AM »
I am le dumb and have no idea what the problem is or if it's easily fixed, but that seems like an awful lot of money for an LA with a known, serious issue.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 06:28:44 AM »
On a recent trip back to Japan, I picked up a PAC-N1 for a very reasonable price. I've always wanted to have a full MD/PCE LaserActive set, so I was really excited to find this piece.

I've since been looking for a decent deal on either a bare CLD-A100 or one with a Genesis/MD PAC included. There are a few on the Bay, but a lot of them seem quite overpriced.

There is also one that is on sale locally very close to me, but it seems to have LD playback issues. Has anyone ever seen anything like this and thinks there may be a way to repair it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Laser-Active-CLD-A100-Console-LaserDisc-CD-Player-AS-IS/123007058952?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The problem is shown on the last two images. Apparently this is only happening with LDs and not with PAC games.

LD playback issues can have a lot of causes and they are expensive to ship back and forth if you need to get it repaired. If possible spending the extra money for a working unit would be a much safer bet.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 06:56:16 AM »
If it has LD playback issues then it has LDROM2 and MegaLD playback issues therefore this thing is almost completely useless unless it can be fixed. He’s asking way too much for something that I honestly doubt will ever be fixed. It’s a parts unit.

The LD player repair scene isn’t very big and the guys who do still have the ability to fix this stuff don’t work on a lot of A-100s because they are considered garbage LD players. You could contact some of these guys and see if they have seen the problem before, but if they haven’t then I think of there is more of a chance of someone in the game world developing a fix for whatever this is since there is more energy/money in that area these days. LD fans have hundreds of players to chose from after all but Laseractive fans only have one.

I would %100 not buy this player.

EDIT: I just noticed he’s playing LDs with the PAC still in it. Tell him to take it out and see if it plays better. He may just have a f*cked Sega PAC.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:59:06 AM by SignOfZeta »

TaoPaiPai

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 07:52:54 AM »
Thanks for the opinions and suggestions, everyone!
I really appreciate it.

I think you are all right about it being far too much money for the player if there is a major issue like that.
I will take SignOfZeta's suggestion also and see if the seller will try an LD with the PAC not installed, just in case that's the problem.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 07:55:16 AM »
The PACs do effect LD playback, especially the digital aspects of it, so this could be bad RAM or something somewhere, technically. I wouldn’t get my hopes up, but it’s possible.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 11:30:51 AM »
The PACs do effect LD playback, especially the digital aspects of it, so this could be bad RAM or something somewhere, technically. I wouldn’t get my hopes up, but it’s possible.

Yes, the PACs actually run the video output in 240P through the digital memory on the LA. You get better quality video just removing the Sega or NEC PAC on the A100 if you wanted to use it as a regular LD player.
--DragonmasterDan

TaoPaiPai

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 11:01:33 AM »
I ended up getting a different LA unit from another local seller. It's in excellent shape and plays LDs just fine. The seller even included about 40 (regular) LD movies with it.

Excited to try out my PACs tonight.