Author Topic: 32-bit comparisons?  (Read 1646 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: 32-bit comparisons?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
TEAM INNOCENT.
FARLAND STORY FX.
NIRGENDS.
YUNA.
ZEROIGAR.
ZENKI,
BOUNDARY GATE.
SPARKLING FEATHER.

f*ck ALL THE HATERS.

There is not game on the PC-FX that is bad.  I have not encountered one.

Also, I have played every game.  I burnt the entire library and gave every game 1+ hour of my time.  Some were damn hard to fiddle through because of lack of Japanese skill.

They were all of amazing quality, and were fun to play, even if some of them were confusing me. 

This is why I would like to own every PC-FX game.  They are all worth owning.  Chip Chan Kick, Zeroigar, and Zenki may be the only games of those genres on the system, but f*ck it, they're all awesome.

If the system had more games come out, I think it would have done well enough to stand next to the Saturn, with two middle fingers raised.

Symphony of the Night could be done on the PC-FX.
Arcade shooters can be as well.

It isn't untapped potential.  We see proof. 

What is untapped, is the quantity of games.

TIME TO GROUP UP AND MAKE GAMES. CMON GUYS.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »
Do you consider JRPGs "action" games?

Do you? Because...they aren't. Clicking on "fight" is not "action" Zelda II, good enough. Dragon Quest...no.

If the primary input method is via menus then...its not an action game. Think of the sorts of games you might see in an arcade. Controllable sprites.

Its been established that I don't know what I'm talking about here, so lets all educate the ignorant masses and list the precise number of games that aren't RPGs, chick sims, FMV players, loliget, etc shite. There aren't many, so it shouldn't be hard.

What counts as a "real/action" game: Pac Man, Street Fighter, Galaxy Force II, R-Type, Bonk, Outrun, Madden.

What doesn't count as a "real/action" game: Final Fantasy, Ultima, Yuna, Space Ace, Super Robot Wars, Graduation, Prostitute Maker.

Hell, I'll even include pachinko as "action".

I'm not saying that non-action games aren't relevant or good, I love many many many of them (one of my favorite GBA games, Initial D, is a menu driven racing sim that would have been perfect for the FX) its just that...well, a guy would like to play something action-y once in a while, and it seems to be harder to do on the FX that any other system.

Are there 10 games that meet this criteria? My apocryphal, anecdotal, long ago recollection seems be that the first few years of the FX (the only years) were a lot like the last few years of the PCE (ie: primarily menus).

BTW, the Sega CD analogy is ridiculous. You have to HUNT for action games on FX and on Sega CD there are tons of them. Mortal Kombat, Fatal Fury Special, Earthworm Jim, Blast Core, Batman, Popful Mail, that F1 game Sega made (Heavenly Symphony, I think was the name), some sort of Chuck Rock game (racing, I think, BC Racers?) an Alleste game (forgot actual name), Earnest Evens, Eternal Champions...15 sports games, I'm sure.

There, I just named all those off the top of my head (I swear, didn't look at the Wiki or anything) and I've never even owned a Sega CD.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »
What doesn't count as a "real/action" game: Final Fantasy, Ultima, Yuna, Space Ace, Super Robot Wars, Graduation, Prostitute Maker.

Ultima is debateable.

Depends which Ultima you are talking about.

Pagan was action / platform oriented.

Ultima 1 and 2 were loose turn based w/ a timer, and had Star Raiders space scenes...

but, its not hard to find the action games for PCFX

you just go to www.pcenginefx.com and click PCFX world, and click games overview.

Tada.

There they all are, right in a category!

nat

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 06:49:35 PM »
Do you consider JRPGs "action" games?

Do you?

Depends on the game, but you're the one I'm trying to figure out here.

If the primary input method is via menus then...its not an action game. Think of the sorts of games you might see in an arcade. Controllable sprites.

But RPGs have controllable sprites. So the battles are [sometimes] handled through menus... The rest of the game is play out by, uh, controlling a sprite. So what does that make them?

Oh, good grief. So now games have to be action games to be "real?"

When we started, it was that PC-FX games simply weren't "real" because they were "all or mostly FMV." After it was pointed out that, in fact, most PC-FX games are not primarily FMV-driven, the definition of a "real" game changed to exclude all genres exception "action."

It seems you're either being obtuse on purpose or just don't want to admit your broad generalization about the library was uninformed, which has really been my point from the beginning.

Its been established that I don't know what I'm talking about here, so lets all educate the ignorant masses and list the precise number of games that aren't RPGs, chick sims, FMV players, loliget, etc shite. There aren't many, so it shouldn't be hard.

I'm not interested in precise numbers and other useless nonsense, but I'd be very interested in an informed English-language PC-FX Web resource with in-depth reviews and a serious look at the system's library. The closest thing we've got is Aaron's PC-FX World which is, let's face it, outdated and a little light on software-related content.

I'm not saying that non-action games aren't relevant or good, I love many many many of them (one of my favorite GBA games, Initial D, is a menu driven racing sim that would have been perfect for the FX) its just that...well, a guy would like to play something action-y once in a while, and it seems to be harder to do on the FX that any other system.

You're absolutely right. If you're looking for arcade-style games on the PC-FX, you'll be looking a long time. They aren't non-existent, but they're few in number. Nobody is arguing this point with you. We're arguing that your assessment that most PC-FX games are FMV players is..... inaccurate.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 07:46:03 PM »
Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. Moving your party around in a JRPG is not "action", don't pretend you think it is. I'm trying to have an honest discussion here and you're acting like a politician, defending the indefensible while hiding behind a wall of false naivete and hoping I'll just give up and go away if you filibuster by parsing every sentence in my post.

I love RPGs and strategy games. I own both Yuna titles on PCE (cleared both several times) as well as the Saturn one (got stuck on that level where there is a beam that hits everyone in the party). Its great stuff. But a system that has nothing but this stuff...kind of...sucks?

Its like this.

Most people who come to this forum that would ponder the purchase of an FX are cautious/hesitant because they think there won't be anything fun for them to play except for the over-rated/priced Zeoriger, Zenki and Chip Chan Kick...and you'd be a liar to say otherwise. If you tell a guy "buy it, its great, you'll love it" they are just going to be disappointed because almost no American can enjoy this machine. You have to say something like, "If you read Japanese pretty well, have terrible hand-eye coordination and pedophile tendencies, you'll love it!", you'd be much more honest. The sort of guy that buys huge limited editions of import mahjong games and never actually plays them. That guy? He's PC-FX all the way. Everyone else need not apply.

Question: WTF can you pplaaaaaaaayyy on the FX? Stuff I can wear my controller out on?

Answer: (Apparently) five games.

I'm not hung up on FMV. I have no problem with FMV whatsoever, in fact I like it. I bought both Dragon's Lair's and Space Ace for DSi recently. I was serious about Densha de Go! and Initial D being good games that would have been natural for the FX, and I was always disappointed that cinema heavy games like Tengai, Cosmic Fantasy, Ys, etc didn't seem to make the transition to 32-bit (seriously, why to games like Suikoden not have cut scenes?)

But an FMV fighter is not actually a fighter, therefore the FX has no fighters. It also has no racing games, no soccer games, no pinball games, nothing like Assault Suit Leynos, nothing like NiGHTS, nothing like Crash Bandicoot, or Ridge Racer, or Tekken, or anything non-menu driven except something like five games. Five games out of, what is it, 62? So %93 of the library is non-action? That's f*cking terrible.

You guys are saying that if the FX had a Saturn-sized library it would be Saturn sized great...but thats total bullshit. The Saturn doesn't have %6 action games. It has loads of RPGs and digital comics and even "fan disc" type of things with no actual gameplay to speak of...but they don't comprise %93 of the library.

If The if Tengai III or Apocalypse IV or Bomberman had stayed FX projects, or even if one "killer" exclusive game from the Saturn had been on FX like Guardian Heroes or Death Tank Zwei had been on FX then it would be so much better. Even the 3DO has Return Fire.

BTW, I say all this knowing that someday I will own a PCFX. This is because I love NEC, the look of the system, and I actually play raw JRPGs and collect useless shit like Saturn modems and Shooting Watches though, not because its actually good.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 11:36:50 PM »
What I will say is the PC-FX has a very unique and interesting game library.  There is a huge amount of variety
for such a small collection.  Blue Breaker and Miraculum are both excellent RPGs and they play nothing a like. 
With the FX it never feels like your playing the same game twice, no clones, no sequals, at all. 

Blue Breaker is hard to play even if you do speak Japanese cause it's design is so unorthodox, but once you
figure it out, it's incredible.  And the PS1 and Saturn ports suck (especially Saturn, it's totally broken).

My PC-FX gets way more play time then my Super Famicom.  And it's mostly because SFC games all have
that "been there, done that" feel to them.  PC-FX games are extremely fresh, it's the only system where
I actually want to play and hopefully complete every game it has someday.  There's nothing else quite like
the FX, if it grabs you, it never lets go.  Hell even the 2 FMV fighters play totally different from each other,
what works in Battle Heat will get you murdered in TM.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 02:45:34 AM »
Most people who come to this forum that would ponder the purchase of an FX are cautious/hesitant because they think there won't be anything fun for them to play except for the over-rated/priced Zeoriger, Zenki and Chip Chan Kick...and you'd be a liar to say otherwise. If you tell a guy "buy it, its great, you'll love it" they are just going to be disappointed because almost no American can enjoy this machine.

Who here has ever said anything to that effect?  Since you're either too stupid or too lazy to read nat and ark's posts, I'll clip the pertinent bits for you:

As it stands now the system is a niche sort of setup.  If you don't like cutesy talky games, don't bother.  Not enough bang for your buck if you hate that stuff.
... the PC-FX is a great system if you like JRPGs, dating sims, strategy adventure/RPGs, and digital comics. It's a damn shame the library isn't larger.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 03:41:26 AM »
Productive: we should have a "In defense of PC-FX" that explains all the stigma/myths/misconceptions surrounding the PC-FX.

This would be honestly useful for newbies/interested parties.

This has been fun, comrades, but let's call it a day. It's better to spend your energy arguing over the virtues of JJ & Jeff, or Gomola Speed (the Duomazov review was dismissive, but Duomazov can suck my left one).

See?

Everything's much better now: the squabbling can migrate elsewhere, and return PC-FX threads to relative peace.

Or, maybe, it would be fun to see some more posts in the this thread :)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:46:08 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 10:00:01 AM »
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=7361.0

Let it be known today, February 25th 2011, I am officially going to make a resource site.

It will have a good amount of screen shots, box scans, and my opinions of the games.  I will attempt to do 1 or 2 at least per week. 

So basically, PCECP but more complete.

Maybe Sunteam_Paul could incorporate it into his PCE bible?

If not, I will be calling it the PC-FX Tome of Obey.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 10:04:33 AM »
Go, Ark, GO!  If you're interested, I have a bunch of case and manual scans that I downloaded years back from some interwebz tube or another.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 10:13:46 AM »
Go, Ark, GO!  If you're interested, I have a bunch of case and manual scans that I downloaded years back from some interwebz tube or another.

That would save me from having to scan all these f*ckin boxes here. :D

I suppose we could lift them from PCEFX's PCFX world if Aarons cool with it?

Be forewarned, I blow pretty hard at webdesign.

So, if someone else wanted to do the actual designing portion, I would be more than happy to play all these games, review them, and provide images n' stuff.

I mean, look at aetherbyte.com

Do you all want that with PC-FX info?

nat

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 12:16:31 PM »
Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. Moving your party around in a JRPG is not "action", don't pretend you think it is. I'm trying to have an honest discussion here and you're acting like a politician, defending the indefensible while hiding behind a wall of false naivete and hoping I'll just give up and go away if you filibuster by parsing every sentence in my post.

I'm going away shortly for the weekend, so rest assured, you'll have a couple days to regain your composure. As for parsing every sentence... you just have so much material worth responding to. Take it as a compliment!

And for the record, I'm trying to have a discussion here as well. From my side, I see an individual who has made a decision about a console whose games he has not played and is parading his (uninformed) opinion up and down as cold, hard fact. As for going away-- on the contrary, discussion is good. Believe it or not I find myself in agreement with most of the stuff you say on these forums (outside of this discussion). The false naivete you reference is just my attempt to try to coax out of you why you think 99% of PC-FX games are point-and-click FMV snorefests. I'm not asking you to start liking the games, everyone has their own opinions. Opinions are good. Uninformed opinions based on misinformation and untruths (as in this case) is troubling, especially when aforementioned opinions are presented to folks who don't know better as "fact."

Just for your information, here is my definition of a "real" game: anything in which scenarios are presented to a player whereby input from the player affects the outcome of said scenarios. Preferably, some challenge ought to also be involved as opposed to a series of YES/NO questions, but I suppose it's not required.

Games: Yuna FX, Gate of Thunder, Langrisser/Warsong, Last Imperial Prince, Sapphire, Keith Courage in Alpha Zones.

Not Games: Valis Visual Collection, Local Girls of Hawaii, Anime Freak Vol. <whatever>, System Card <insert your favorite number here>.00, Cosmic Fantasy Visual Collection, Bikini Girls, etc.

I love RPGs and strategy games. I own both Yuna titles on PCE (cleared both several times) as well as the Saturn one (got stuck on that level where there is a beam that hits everyone in the party). Its great stuff. But a system that has nothing but this stuff...kind of...sucks?

In your opinion, of course. But now we're getting somewhere.... at least you're no longer declaring every title for the PC-FX is a FMV movie with random "OK" buttons to click throughout.

Its like this.

Most people who come to this forum that would ponder the purchase of an FX are cautious/hesitant because they think there won't be anything fun for them to play except for the over-rated/priced Zeoriger, Zenki and Chip Chan Kick...and you'd be a liar to say otherwise. If you tell a guy "buy it, its great, you'll love it" they are just going to be disappointed because almost no American can enjoy this machine. You have to say something like, "If you read Japanese pretty well, have terrible hand-eye coordination and pedophile tendencies, you'll love it!", you'd be much more honest. The sort of guy that buys huge limited editions of import mahjong games and never actually plays them. That guy? He's PC-FX all the way. Everyone else need not apply.

This is surely a step back, as I love the PC-FX and I don't read Japanese particularly well, I have fantastic hand-eye coordination, no pedophile tendencies, and own not a single mahjong game. It's another misinformed generalization. Necromancer already addressed the first part of this paragraph and I have to leave, so I'll move on.

Question: WTF can you pplaaaaaaaayyy on the FX? Stuff I can wear my controller out on?

Answer: (Apparently) five games.

You can play around 60 games on the PC-FX. Wear your controller out on? Yeah, maybe five. You don't have to be putting a controller through the regulation 500 jerks just to be "playing" a game. I don't care what console we're talking about.

I'm not hung up on FMV. I have no problem with FMV whatsoever, in fact I like it. I bought both Dragon's Lair's and Space Ace for DSi recently. I was serious about Densha de Go! and Initial D being good games that would have been natural for the FX, and I was always disappointed that cinema heavy games like Tengai, Cosmic Fantasy, Ys, etc didn't seem to make the transition to 32-bit (seriously, why to games like Suikoden not have cut scenes?)

That's nice and all, but your initial arguments seemed to stem primarily from the "THEY'RE ALL FMV!" stigma. Now we've moved on to "THEY'RE ALL MENU-DRIVEN!" which, at least, is a bit more accurate.

But an FMV fighter is not actually a fighter, therefore the FX has no fighters. It also has no racing games, no soccer games, no pinball games, nothing like Assault Suit Leynos, nothing like NiGHTS, nothing like Crash Bandicoot, or Ridge Racer, or Tekken, or anything non-menu driven except something like five games. Five games out of, what is it, 62? So %93 of the library is non-action? That's f*cking terrible.

I guess.... If your main focus is action. But who owns ONLY a PC-FX? And who in their right mind would recommend a PC-FX to someone as an ONLY system? Not me.

BTW, I say all this knowing that someday I will own a PCFX. This is because I love NEC, the look of the system, and I actually play raw JRPGs and collect useless shit like Saturn modems and Shooting Watches though, not because its actually good.

When that day comes perhaps you'll actually find yourself enjoying a lot of the stuff the PC-FX has to offer. Quite frankly, a lot of the stuff seems right up your alley from what I know from the past half-a-decade on here and your "White Line" website. I'd be a lot more accepting of an informed negative opinion, than an uninformed one. :)

Where were you when I was selling these things with re-calibrated lasers at $40 a piece? You'll never find a better price than that. I guarantee it.

Quote from: esteban
This has been fun, comrades, but let's call it a day. It's better to spend your energy arguing over the virtues of JJ & Jeff, or Gomola Speed (the Duomazov review was dismissive, but Duomazov can suck my left one).

Right after you blow me.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 12:57:47 PM »

In your opinion, of course. But now we're getting somewhere.... at least you're no longer declaring every title for the PC-FX is a FMV movie with random "OK" buttons to click throughout.

All my posts in this thread are still here, and still unedited. Please tell me where I ever said this. You've mentioned FMV more times than I have.

My point from the very beginning is that the vast majority of "killer" games on Saturn and Playstation not only appear to be technically impossible on the FX, but are in genres that were never even attempted on the system. That's why you don't see "comparisons" between the FX and other 32-bit era machines. There isn't one. The FX is in its own little word, basically giving us higher spec versions of the stuff that was released on the PCE in 1993 or 1994, whereas what most of us wanted was the stuff from 1990-1992.

Where were you when I was selling these things with re-calibrated lasers at $40 a piece? You'll never find a better price than that. I guarantee it.

I have no recollection of that. It was probably during one of my long periods off. There have been a few of them

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 01:47:26 PM »
Maybe you just missed it, you did miss free Insanity the first time around and all, lol.

PCFX = SUCCESS

esteban

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 05:21:50 PM »
Quote from: nat

Quote from: esteban

Right after you blow me.

OK. Then will you listen to my desperate, but spirited, attempts to win some love for Gomola Speed?

I love it when a plan comes together.

|    |