Author Topic: Why the PCE? Why Not the Genesis or Snes???  (Read 8006 times)

vestcoat

Re: Why the PCE? Why Not the Genesis or Snes???
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 06:37:33 PM »
Why?

*Because it has a finite library of games.  Everyone thinks this is a weakness.  I think it's a strength.
*It's mysterious.  Leaves something to the imagination.  Some to be discovered.  Not the SNES crap all of my friends beat.  Not the stuff I saw advertised on TV.  Not the Genesis junk I saw in bargain bins.
*Two generations on one console.  Improved-graphics 8-bit all the way up to Neo-Geo fighters, polygons, and FMV.
*Vibrant colors.
*Earliest CD games = weird/awesome.
*Awesome selection of RPGs + shooters.

soop

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 11:35:32 PM »
Well, for me it started with the GT.  A lot of games magazines would cover PC Engine games as GT games, especially if they had a handhelds supplement.

So the first I'd ever heard of it was that it was the best handheld on the market (and in terms of "mainstream" handhelds, it held on to this title for years).

Then one day, I was in a well-known second-hand chain store when I saw a boxed PC Engine GT with 7 games (afterburner, PC Kid 2, Shinobi, Son Son II, Bari bari denetsu, and Cyber Core) for £70.  It was my Birthday in a month, and I dropped to my knees, begging my dad for it, and he asked me if I was sure, I was, etc etc, and those 5 minutes while he went to the cash point were the longest in my life.  I stood by the glass case it was in, ready to wrestle it from anyone who would take it from me.

Then we got it home, and mind == blown.  Easily the best handheld.  It didn't get played too much because of the battery situation (and the fact that it said not to use rechargables and I didn't want to break it.  The PSU is also non-standard, so I never got one that worked right.

Then a few years later, I got a boxed core grafx (£40), and blew the PSU when I tried to plug the AC adaptor into a "shaving converter" (2 pin DC to 3 pin AC) without a stepdown.  Fearing I'd blown it and with no way to play it, it went on the shelf.

Well, all these years later, I found that I can use a Mega Drive adaptor, got me a few more games, and got the Core Grafx back from my parents house, and I've got the bug again.  Now I have a disposable income, I'm buying all the stuff I wanted when I was younger and on £10,000 a year (except the stuff which is £ridiculous, like a wondermega). Living the dream.

Also, aside from that, I believe it has the best versions of many games that I want to play, including New Zealand story Rainbow Islands, Pomping World, etc etc.  Also, I was big into Amigas, and it seems that there is quite a correlation between the two systems - like the Amiga is the UK PC Engine in a strange way.  A lot of amiga versions seem to be from PCE.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 11:52:55 PM »
I like the SNES a lot, I think it has a great library.

The Genesis on the other hand is a bit of a different story, the Genesis had a fairly diverse library of games being released between 1989 and 1992, after that the Genesis library became overrun with 1. Ports of games that were better on SNES 2. Sports games 3. Sega first party games which varied wildly in quality.

Simply put, for the Genesis there's not enough unique software on the system for it to have any major advantage over the TG16 in my book.

Added in edit: The PC Engine itself has another huge draw which is it has a lot of games that quite frankly I've not played. I was a huge gamer in the 16-bit era, I subscribed to lots of game mags. Most Super Famicom and Genesis games worth owning made their way to the US. The PC Engine and TG16 have vastly differing libraries which leaves more to be discovered.

Also the library suits my "likes" as far as gaming goes. My three favorite Genres are J-RPGs, Platformers and Shmups. Two of the three are well represented on the PCE .
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:58:38 PM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

termis

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 01:58:32 AM »
To say why "not" the Genesis or SNES isn't all correct.  I think vast majority of us probably enjoy all those systems.

But as for why the PCE specifically -- it was hearing redbook audio back in... 1989.  Graphics and all that (at least in stillshots), the Genesis, SNES, and PCE can all be comparable to each other (waiting for x system fanboy interjection on that statement :)), but the soundtrack for good PCE CD games obviously couldn't be anywhere near mirrored by its peers until CD consoles became the norm much, much later.

Oh, and for its selection of niche import games.  Besides, it sorta forces you to import these niche games if you want to get the most out of the system since the TG16's library is comparatively limited.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 05:11:20 AM »
I'm all about the Turbob for three reasons: Bikini Girls, Hawaiian Island Girls, and Local Girls of Hawaii:)

Seriously though, all three consoles have great games but limited funds back in the day made it impossible to get all three.  The Turbob won the battle for my monies with it's bright colors and non-scratchy tunes (Genny) and not coming out too late to be relevant (SNES).  Nowadays I could afford to collect for all three, but I can't devote enough time to fully enjoy what I already have and I don't want a room full of dust collectors, so I'm sticking to my guns.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Senshi

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 06:05:37 AM »
 I have played and currently play all of these systems as well. I think the one thing I like most about the turbografx/Pc engine is the "uniqueness" of a lot of the titles. I have a limited experience with the Turbo and pc engine so for me there is a lot of games I haven't played which to me are "new". Plus I really like the variety of hardware, especially for the pc engine.
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

Obfuscate

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 07:20:43 AM »
The Turboduo was the system I had in my prime teen age years of gaming. Games like Gate of Thunder, Soldier Blade, Bomberman 93 and Final Lap Twin are the games I think of when I think of my favorite games as a kid. So the nostalgic factor for me was the main reason I started playing/collecting TG stuff again.

I also still really love playing 2D shooters and with expanding to the PCE as part of my collecting I have so many new games to me I've never had the chance to try. Playing PCE also gives you a glimpse of what the Turbo could have been in the states had it gained popularity.

I have a Genesis and my brother had a SNES when we were younger but they just don't have the same place in my heart as the old Duo does.

ddd1234

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 09:21:29 AM »
Thanks for sharing guys.....my favorite system happens to be Snes, but i am getting into this one slowly.  :-k

I really like the system myself, and i am disappointed that i sold it.

I have been watching the "Turbo views" channel on youtube, neat stuff this system has.

As of now, I am stuck with roms and isos.

My favorite games so far-

Lords of Thunder
Dracula X
Legendary axe 2
New adventure island.
OBEY TECH N9NE!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 11:28:27 AM »
Thanks for sharing guys.....my favorite system happens to be Snes

Im sorry to hear that.

Soon you will be healed!

:)   

I kid, I kid.

The SNES was a huge part of my childhood.  You don't get Contra style fun on the PCE, or Star fox or super metroid!
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

TheClash603

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 11:56:19 AM »
SNES, minus a few games, is the worst of the 3 by far.  If there was no SMW, I wouldn't feel bad ridding myself of the system.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 12:05:03 PM »
SNES, minus a few games, is the worst of the 3 by far.  If there was no SMW, I wouldn't feel bad ridding myself of the system.

seclet of mana
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 01:31:32 PM »
The SNES is special to me because of:
-Super Mario World (best Mario game ever.  Period.)
-F-Zero
-Pilotwings
-ActRaiser
-Super Adventure Island (best Adventure Island ever.  The rest are just Wonder Boy sprite hacks so screw 'em).
-Super Castlevania IV
-Super Metroid
-Jaki Crush (the only good pinball game that isn't on the PCE)

...and probably a few more I can't think of right now.  But most of the library is mediocre, in my opinion.

Tatsujin

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 01:34:29 PM »
it's funny how many games on the sfc aged badly while many on the pce aged very well.

today I don't like the blurry squishy look of many of the sfc games. also many of the musics sound very odd today.
pce has very crispy as well colorful graphics and yeah, we do not have to talk about the musics any further i guess :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ddd1234

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 02:08:56 PM »
Well, you guys are forgetting these SNES classics-  [-X

Super Turrican 1&2
Contra 3
Yoshi's island
Donkey kong Country series
Super Aleste (Space megaforce)
Lufia 1&2
Megaman X-X3 (although not saying much at this point)

OBEY TECH N9NE!

Tatsujin

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 02:48:01 PM »
Why should I forget those, I have 'em and many many more :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^