Author Topic: The Wii U  (Read 8222 times)

vestcoat

Re: The Wii U
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 12:54:48 PM »
You can call it a gimmick, but Nintendo is just innovating new gaming technology like they've always done.  They did it in 1985 with an robot and a gun; they did it with a running pad, a glove, and a piano; and they did it when they popularized portable gaming with the Game Boy.  The Virtual Boy was a flop, but at least they tried something new.  The N64 thumbstick has problems, but they gave us a passable 3D controller before Playstation.  The Wii nunchuks are OK.  These innovations keep one step ahead of giants like Sony and Microsoft.

The name sucks, but console naming has always been a sign of the times.  Just as words like mega and turbo scream 1989, "Wii U" and "Xbox" will forever be identified with the iPod/iPad era.

geise

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2011, 12:57:34 PM »
The main idea I like about the system is that if my wife wanted to watch a show while I was playing I can just let her and play the rest on the controller.  I think that's an awesome idea.  Being backwards compatible is an added bonus.  Not sure if it will have GC compatibility.  Like others I don't even want to know what a 2nd controller is going to cost.  Think of how many pc-engine games that could be.  Hell probably a couple MVS games.  I'm actually liking the new console but I keep thinking to myself how many more classic games I can just buy instead.  Personally though I think the controller is really nice.  If I had young kids I will be watching them like crazy if they were using.  I hope they make them pretty damn durable. 

Only money I'll be spending on something new is the PSVita.  wifi of course.

Mathius

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2011, 01:24:19 PM »
I am not knocking the idea of Nintendo moving forward with what they have learned with Wii. I expected nothing less from a company that is in the business to continually push forward the boundries of interactive entertainment. It just scares me that they are losing their roots, and forgetting what and who got them here.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2011, 01:39:33 PM »
I am not knocking the idea of Nintendo moving forward with what they have learned with Wii. I expected nothing less from a company that is in the business to continually push forward the boundries of interactive entertainment. It just scares me that they are losing their roots, and forgetting what and who got them here.

Or are they actually going BACK to their roots?  Doesn't this new Wii U controller just look like a SNES controller with a big ass screen in the middle?

Keranu

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2011, 03:16:04 PM »
I agree with what Joe said early in the thread too about the controller size. I still don't really know how this whole system is going to work, but I can't imagine playing a long adventure like Zelda with that gigantic controller to be much fun. I'm glad Nintendo has decided to continue using the Wiimote, I thought that was a brilliant design that rarely ever met its potential on the Wii. Maybe now if they start pushing out more Wiimotes with Motion + built in we can finally get some good, innovative motion controlled games on Wii U.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Mathius

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2011, 04:21:03 PM »
Well lets hope they listen to the masses and give us multiple controller options.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 04:50:05 PM »
as much as I hate to say it, the thing looks fun.  if games like recent Wii titles are whats on it from the get go (lost in shadow, fragile dreams, kirby epic pocketlint, etc), it may bring back the yayness.

Xbox 360 will get Otomedius soon.  Aside from that I could f*cking care less what moronic American money-maker game shows up.

Halo 4: Reacharound
Queers of War 3
Battlefield: Metro-warfare
Call of Duty whatever

its all homosexual.

PS3 has agarest war and catherine

Theres your f*cking art.

Remember when all games were art?

shits going down the tubes fast.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 05:58:18 AM »
You can call it a gimmick, but Nintendo is just innovating new gaming technology like they've always done.  They did it in 1985 with an robot and a gun; they did it with a running pad, a glove, and a piano; and they did it when they popularized portable gaming with the Game Boy.  The Virtual Boy was a flop, but at least they tried something new.  The N64 thumbstick has problems, but they gave us a passable 3D controller before Playstation.  The Wii nunchuks are OK.  These innovations keep one step ahead of giants like Sony and Microsoft.

The name sucks, but console naming has always been a sign of the times.  Just as words like mega and turbo scream 1989, "Wii U" and "Xbox" will forever be identified with the iPod/iPad era.

You forgot about the D-pad :)
--DragonmasterDan

DirkFunk

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 07:27:37 AM »
Word on the street is that the system will only support 1 touch controller. . . It will once again not play DVD or Blu Ray discs (because Nintendo are too cheap to pay licensing fees for it). The screen on the controller needs a sytlus (which is why I dislike the DS).

It's fine if people think it looks cool or whatever, but in the Nintendo tradition, Mario will be Mario with a gimmick that's fun for 5 minutes. Zelda will be Zelda with a gimmick. Not a whole lot changes. I'm over those games. I'm over most shooters. It's all getting very tired.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 10:15:56 AM »
It will once again not play DVD or Blu Ray discs (because Nintendo are too cheap to pay licensing fees for it).

I don't think it's a cost issue, Nintendo has always maintained they want their hardware to be a game system and not a set top box multimedia device. If you're buying their system, they want you buying software they make money on from it too, not using it as a multimedia device.
--DragonmasterDan

DirkFunk

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 11:27:47 AM »
It will once again not play DVD or Blu Ray discs (because Nintendo are too cheap to pay licensing fees for it).

I don't think it's a cost issue, Nintendo has always maintained they want their hardware to be a game system and not a set top box multimedia device. If you're buying their system, they want you buying software they make money on from it too, not using it as a multimedia device.

I supose. I just think it's stupid.

It does have Netflix, which is a multimedia function.

My Wii is a paperweight. If it played DVDs that would be something. . . Everyone knows it's capable of doing so, so why not?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 11:32:49 AM by DirkFunk »

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 12:28:52 PM »

My Wii is a paperweight. If it played DVDs that would be something. . . Everyone knows it's capable of doing so, so why not?

Yes, but it has Netflix due to Netflix financially compensating Nintendo for subscribers using it on their Wii.

Like I said before, it's capable of doing it but Nintendo wants the primary reason people purchase their hardware to be to buy games (IE things that make Nintendo money). I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo sold a DVD player (or if it has the appropriate optical drive) a Blu-Ray player via their online store for their system. Nintendo has structured their entire business model around a closed system where they reap all the profits and considering the fact that they're still making hardware it's been a good business model for them so far.
--DragonmasterDan

nat

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 01:28:41 PM »
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think this thing looks half-bad. It's like a Wii on steroids. I think it's funny that everybody cried their eyes out about the Wii's inferior graphical capabilities (lower resolution, lack of true HD), yet here we have the Wii U, which is HD-capable. Everyone just glosses right over that fact. Indeed, some people's only argument against the Wii has been its inferior graphical capabilities and now that that has been addressed, people just find something else to complain about.

Nintendo hardware has always excelled in certain areas while lagging behind (the contemporary competition) in others, it should be no shock to anyone at this point. It's been the norm since the NES days...  With the NES you had a fast CPU and poor graphical hardware. With the SNES you had the slowest CPU of the 16-bit era alongside a comparatively overpowered graphical chipset. With the N64 you had no optical drive, insufficient RAM, the worst controllers in history and...... graphics that were slightly better than the competition. GameCube featured a goofy proprietary disc format and no DVD playback support, and the Wii.... Inferior graphics, with a focus on revolutionizing how people play video games.

I agree (for the first time in history) with Keranu when he says the Wiimote has yet to realize its full potential. I think the concept is fantastic, and yet continues to go underutilized. I think more people tend to side with people like Mathius who prefer more traditional controls and as a result developers haven't really explored all the possibilities with the Wiimote. The biggest problem with the Wii as it is now isn't the graphics or anything alone those lines, it's the fact that since the Wii is so easy to develop for there is just tons and tons of shovelware available for it. Shovelware tends to not make very good use of the hardware and be not very good in general, which reflects poorly on the platform.

Back to the U, I think the name is awful, but the thing looks like a decent concept. Depending on reliability of this touchscreen controller, I may even end up trading in the Wii for one of these if it's retaining backwards compatibility.

DirkFunk

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 02:15:48 PM »

Yes, but it has Netflix due to Netflix financially compensating Nintendo for subscribers using it on their Wii.

Like I said before, it's capable of doing it but Nintendo wants the primary reason people purchase their hardware to be to buy games (IE things that make Nintendo money). I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo sold a DVD player (or if it has the appropriate optical drive) a Blu-Ray player via their online store for their system. Nintendo has structured their entire business model around a closed system where they reap all the profits and considering the fact that they're still making hardware it's been a good business model for them so far.

As much as I piss and moan about these things. . . I'll probably still buy one. . .

Black Tiger

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2011, 02:47:21 PM »
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think this thing looks half-bad. It's like a Wii on steroids. I think it's funny that everybody cried their eyes out about the Wii's inferior graphical capabilities (lower resolution, lack of true HD), yet here we have the Wii U, which is HD-capable. Everyone just glosses right over that fact. Indeed, some people's only argument against the Wii has been its inferior graphical capabilities and now that that has been addressed, people just find something else to complain about.

The Wii's generation-behind graphics haven't been addressed, Nintendo has instead entered a new generation with last generation graphics. Again.

The 360 and PS3 getting motion controls addresses and surpasses the Wii's only strength in comparison. The equivalent for the Wii would be if the Wii U was a $50 plug-in with optional tablet pads for the current system.

At least this time it isn't essentially the exact same Nintendo hardware as the previous generation and instead looks more like the competition's last gen hardware. The Wii was hard to swallow as an entire console purchase instead of as a Gamecube sensor bar/remote. Sony and Microsoft did exactly that instead of working over their customers who supported them the previous generation. If you take that Wii U tablet-pad and plug it into the PS3 or 360, the competition already has Nintendo beat with the exact same level of hardware, only with more features, including the most important one of all going forward: proper online game support.

Considering that Sony and Microsoft finally learned that it was worthwhile to neutralize Nintendo by selling a similar gimmick as an add-on, they're probably both already designing superior tablet-pads that could be out by the time the Wii U launches. Imagine how cheap the PS3 and 360 motion bundles will be by then? They could both have tablet-pad bundles on shelves the day the Wii U launches, only at a lower price.

Nintendo hardware has always excelled in certain areas while lagging behind (the contemporary competition) in others, it should be no shock to anyone at this point. It's been the norm since the NES days...  With the NES you had a fast CPU and poor graphical hardware. With the SNES you had the slowest CPU of the 16-bit era alongside a comparatively overpowered graphical chipset. With the N64 you had no optical drive, insufficient RAM, the worst controllers in history and...... graphics that were slightly better than the competition. GameCube featured a goofy proprietary disc format and no DVD playback support, and the Wii.... Inferior graphics, with a focus on revolutionizing how people play video games.

Take any of those consoles before the Wii and insert the previous gen's Nintendo hardware inside. A top loader NES with "Super Nintendo" written on it is not the same as the SNES we actually got having a slow cpu.

I agree (for the first time in history) with Keranu when he says the Wiimote has yet to realize its full potential. I think the concept is fantastic, and yet continues to go underutilized. I think more people tend to side with people like Mathius who prefer more traditional controls and as a result developers haven't really explored all the possibilities with the Wiimote. The biggest problem with the Wii as it is now isn't the graphics or anything alone those lines, it's the fact that since the Wii is so easy to develop for there is just tons and tons of shovelware available for it. Shovelware tends to not make very good use of the hardware and be not very good in general, which reflects poorly on the platform.

I totally agree. I think that console companies should never have bothered releasing motion controls, or any other gimmicks, without first figuring out how to utilize it enough with software. The Power Glove, Activator, U-Force, etc could have all been fantastic with fantastic dedicated software. Instead, like too many of the better Wii games, they only offered inferior ways of controlling traditional games. The biggest and easiest way to transform the Wii into being worthwhile is to make regular controller support mandatory, while keeping the option for arm flailing controls.

Back to the U, I think the name is awful, but the thing looks like a decent concept. Depending on reliability of this touchscreen controller, I may even end up trading in the Wii for one of these if it's retaining backwards compatibility.

The Wii name was bad enough, but this isn't much worse, only boring and not differentiating enough. I also hate "Vita". Hopefully the PS4 and Xbox 720 keep their naming patterns.

Even if I never get into what ever is current "gaming" at any given time again, I'll probably continue to buy each new console. Although I have yet to make use of my PS3 as a PS3 game player. I like the look of the Wii U much more than the Wii. It looks like the bare bones, plastic door Arcade 360 and more like a real console.

I can't get worked up over current gen video games anymore and it's not really a big deal to me. It just sucks that Nintendo's last ditch attempt to regain hardcore players is a further step in the opposite direction. It is however much better than I expected. :P

It seems like a terrible business decision overall, but then so did the DS, Wii and 3DS... so who knows anymore. We're living in an age when people drop billions on essentially renting Apple products and software.

It really smacks of a board room meeting a week ago where an executive said "Hey, iPads are popular with young people, lets stick one (without the computer inside) on a pad and call it a day!" And they just showed up at E3 with a tablet taped into a hollowed out Gamecube keyboard controller and alternated between it syncing up to a Wii and a 360 behind the curtain.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:49:19 PM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum