Author Topic: Who TV  (Read 1721 times)

esteban

Who TV
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2005, 11:18:07 AM »
Quote from: "lord_cack"
OK, so lets throw out...Cunt, Bitch, Fag, Dick, (allow me to pull out my (hehe pull out) Kevin Smith  hand book), Cock Smoker, Cock Knocker....

What language would you prefer Steve  :P

(this message was brought to you by a sarcastic a$$hole hehe :D )
What's wrong with "dick"? We can keep that one :).
  |    | 

esteban

Who TV
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2005, 11:50:35 AM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
Okay ladies, before you all get your panties in a bunch and the hair starts flying from your little catfight, let me give my two cents on this subject. :D

The Who rocked. Y'all better recognize. :D But yes, there were a lot of influential bands of the time, as well as before and after the time. Two of my favourite influential bands of all time are Black Sabbath and Steppenwolf...both bands defined the genre of heavy metal (Steppenwolf defined the phrase [Born To Be Wild] and Black Sabbath defined the music [Black Sabbath and Wicked Woman]). Tony Iommi was the only person in history to perform a pitch bend behind the nut on his guitar (he did this for the opening notes of "Ironman"). Even to this day, people still cover classic Black Sabbath tracks...they were just that damn influential.

Ah goths...little poser wanabes running around whining about how they're so depressed and life is soooooo hard and how the world won't miss them when they're gone and yadda yadda yadda bullshit left and right. Bands like NIN make their money off of these morons because they know that they'll buy the shit up without thinking twice about it...sheep to the slaughter. Yeah, your life is so hard, you Gucci-toting art school dropout...I wish they really would just all off themselves...but then we'd have no one to make fun of in threads like this. :)

Real goths (read: artistically inclined, studious and serious people who live their art) are exceptionally rare. You won't notice them, because unlike the poser goths, they don't have loud mouths, whine about their rotten lives, or mope around in all black looking like death warmed over because they just spent the last 9 days locked in their bedroom without sunlight playing Trent Reznor's Greatest Hits through their massive studio-quality headphones. Real goths don't pig out on chocolate and then whine about their zit-covered face and blame it on life's cruelty.

I love this stuff. :D
Yup. We should note that the real problem is not "goth" --- the problem is the fashion-oriented, commercialized scene that generated out of "goth". The same thing can be said of punk, hip hop, extreme sports, skateboarding, etc. etc. When it is reduced to a fashion style, then it has been stripped of any meaningful content.

Social cliques and fashions have a long history in rock-n-roll, by the way. So "goth" is just one of many in a long line -- in fact, The Who deal with this in their lyrics!!! -- of fashionable youth cultures: teddy boys, mods, rockers, punks, skinheads, etc.  Those are from Britain, you can add a bunch more if you look at U.S. pop culture (i.e. greasers, hippies, etc.) And recently (for me, anyway, you have ravers, grunge, etc.). It's lifestyle  intersecting with music, I guess. There are tons of sub-genres to all of this (straight-edge- vs. crusty- vs. peace- punks).    

The key thing to remember is that there was more than just fashion to all of these youth cultures (including goth!) -- there were politics, a way of looking at the world, a form of self- and group-identification, etc. etc.

The problem is when any of these youth cultures is reduced to its aesthetics.

Tonight's homework: How does all of this stuff pertain to The Who's lyrics and themes? Hint: Quadrophenia, Mods vs. Rockers.
  |    | 

Keranu

Who TV
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2005, 12:11:31 PM »
I thought we were already way past the way goths suck thing and my potty-mouthed post  :roll: . Someone please make a new thread just for that and not disgrace a thread for The Who. I'll make another Who thread if I have to.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

lord_cack

Who TV
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2005, 05:20:29 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I thought we were already way past the way goths suck thing and my potty-mouthed post  :roll: . Someone please make a new thread just for that and not disgrace a thread for The Who. I'll make another Who thread if I have to.

yeah that goth stuff...just lame, and then all they do is whine all day about blah, blah....hey K...:lol:  just f*&kin with yah....

Black Sabbath....that was a great band...probably better on a whole than Ozzy solo...I mean he did have his moments solo don't get me wrong....but his early solo career rode pretty much on Black Sabbath's coat tails....till people realised how much Randy Rhodes ROCKED....then he died....damn shame...

oh The who....they rocked too but I think I covered that...
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

Keranu

Who TV
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2005, 05:52:29 PM »
Heads up on the Steppenwolf mention, Nod. That's a classic American rock band right there. I bought two of the same of these Steppenwolf t-shirts I found at the thrift store; they are so awesome, haha. They have this long-haired indian holding up a sword with wolves behind him and stuff, advertising their 1991 tour on the back. It's really 80's.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

Who TV
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2005, 07:29:46 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
??? I thought you'd be all over my suggestion: to discuss Quadrophenia and how Jimmy (and the mods vs. the rockers conflict) is totally relevant to the discussion we're having. Ironically, it turns out that the "tangent" on goth wasn't such a tangent at all!

"My Generation" also can be discussed, since it also deals with some of the aspects I outlined in my prior post.
  |    | 

Keranu

Who TV
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2005, 11:56:20 AM »
I did see your post with Quadrophenia mentioned (badass album, even though not quite as epic as Tommy), but I didn't notice that you were suggesting to talk about it; I thought you just sort of brought it up as an example.

So yeah, Quadrophenia, it's a badass album. One of my favorite tracks is "Dr. Jimmy" which has some of the coolest lyrics in any rock song:

"What is it? I'll take it. Who is she? I'll rape it! Gotta a bet there? I'll meet it. Getting high? You can't beat it!"

Also this line is just totally awesome:

"Who cut up my eye and tore up my Levis!" :D

Not to go off topic with the whole fashion thing, but I have to say that when Townshend wrote songs influenced from his spiritual learnings from Meher Baba, they totally ruled and the Tommy album shows it of course, especially in the final track "See Me, Feel Me / Listening to You" which is one of my favorite tracks of all time. The Live at Leeds version of See Me, Feel Me / Listening to You is the most powerful moment I have ever heard in rock history; magnificent version of the song. I don't know how Townshend comes up with everything and puts it together so well, but it's such an incredible experience from rock music.  :D