Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30632 times)

DragonmasterDan

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 04:12:44 AM »
If you like the Lunar series, you should check out Nadia the Secret of Blue Water series from Studio Gainax.

I actually own the Nadia movie and have watched the first episode of the TV series. Very similar art style to Toshiyuki Kubooka who did the Lunar character designs and art.

Kubooka also did Giant Robo (and it's spinoff Ginrei).
--DragonmasterDan

Arm

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 04:29:07 AM »
Nadia the Movie is rather bad. You should first watch all the series which is much better :)
The character designer/animation director of Nadia was Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (He's the major influence of Studio Gainax). He also designed the characters of Evangelion, The girl who leapt through Time, the movie Wings of Honneamise and the video game series . Hack.
Kubooka was also an animator at Gainax. He was storyboarder and animator on the Nadia series. He was also the animation director on Gunbuster.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:35:16 AM by Arm »

sunteam_paul

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 05:20:02 AM »
So having close to run out of new anime to watch, I ordered a few movies off of Amazon, I should have "The Girl Who leapt through time" and "Project Ako" next week.

I was going to get The Girl Who Leapt Through Time until I noticed it was a Manga Video release. Just can't trust them.

Has anyone watched Irresponsible Captain Tyler? I saw one episode at a convention years ago and it looked quite funny.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 06:00:36 AM »
Yeah, the Nadia movie is pretty terrible. The series is great though. It has an ending that is ABSOLUTELY worth sticking around for. I mention this because a lot of people lose interest when they get to the "island episodes" which are kind of boring and drag on forever. Back in the day, when this series was only available as a fan sub, the group doing it actually skipped the island episodes completely to conserve their resources. Its that boring.

Project A Ko is f*cking GOLD, btw. Very well animated, tons of funny in jokes, great action, I love it. The sequels are also pretty good, but the 2nd OVA series "The Versus Grey/Blue" is not very good. Its not the worst thing out there, its just a huge step down from the first few.

The complete lack of anything even half as cool as Nadia or A-ko in the "adventure" or "comedy" genres in recent years is depressing.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 06:55:35 AM »
yeah Zeta is right, Ako is totally awesome. I love the soundtrack too. They even did a great job with the US soundtrack.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Digi.k

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 08:57:14 AM »
If you like the Lunar series, you should check out Nadia the Secret of Blue Water series from Studio Gainax.

I am currently watching this show right now.. It's very similar to laputa.  It's not a bad show and just finished watching upto episode 20.

I am trying to get hold of patlabor tv series but only managed to download 1~10

EDIT

if you don't mind watching high school girls and moe stuff you might enjoy Lucky Star which has a very similar vibe to Azumanga Daioh
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:13:11 AM by Digi.k »

Arm

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 10:06:42 AM »
"I am currently watching this show right now.. It's very similar to laputa.  It's not a bad show and just finished watching upto episode 20."

Actually, the Nadia project had originally to be handled by Miyazaki in the 70s. It never happened but he eventually created Conan and then Laputa, incorporating ideas he had planned for Nadia.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 10:50:02 AM »
"I am currently watching this show right now.. It's very similar to laputa.  It's not a bad show and just finished watching upto episode 20."

Actually, the Nadia project had originally to be handled by Miyazaki in the 70s. It never happened but he eventually created Conan and then Laputa, incorporating ideas he had planned for Nadia.

Isn't Nadia based on 20,000 leagues under the sea?
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2011, 10:57:28 AM »

If this is true at all, it can only be true in the vaguest of senses. Like, someone at NHK liked the idea of a modern 20,000 Legues. The end product is so much different from anything Miyazaki ever could have proposed that I doubt there is any resemblance to anything Miyazaki could have actually put to paper.

The series certainly has a Miyazaki-esque, steampunk vibe to it, but that's because it was made after Laputa, Holmes, Nausicaa, etc. A lot of people were going for that look, especially with NHK projects.

Arm

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2011, 11:55:08 AM »
I suppose it would have been completely different if the project was handled by Miyazaki in the 70s, the 2000 leagues under the sea story being more used  as a general theme. The story of Laputa was inspired by Gulliver's Travels from Swift.
Gainax founders being fans of Laputa, Conan, Nausicaa and Space Battleship Yamato, I guess this is reflected in the current Nadia series.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:59:43 AM by Arm »

Digi.k

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2011, 02:03:16 PM »
oh I wonder if the op will like these too:

Big O
Elfen Lied
Chobits
Fushigi Yuugi
Darker than Black
Full Metal Alchemist
The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya

I got a lot of anime catching up to do myself..

termis

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2011, 10:53:45 PM »
Has anyone watched Irresponsible Captain Tyler? I saw one episode at a convention years ago and it looked quite funny.

I went through it back in 2001 or so, and quite enjoyed it.  It is indeed quite funny.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2011, 11:57:19 PM »
oh I wonder if the op will like these too:

Big O
Elfen Lied
Chobits
Fushigi Yuugi
Darker than Black
Full Metal Alchemist
The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya

I got a lot of anime catching up to do myself..

Back when I was still in college and didn't have to work in the morning I often left the usually terrible programming lineup on Cartoon Network called Adult Swim on as background noise.

While I just stated it's usually terrible, Adult Swim did have a few anime shows running on it I did like. Big O being one of them (it's a ripoff of Batman TAS with a giant robot, I love Batman TAS), I also like FLCL and Lupin the Third a lot. I've also seen Full Metal Alchemist and never got into it. I am unfamiliar with the others you mentioned.
--DragonmasterDan

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2011, 05:06:42 AM »
Ninja Scroll

geise

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 08:11:24 AM »
I don't really watch anime much anymore.  Most of the new stuff just doesn't appeal to me.  I think the detail and animation was better back in the day when they were using cel animation.  Now it's all digital.  I feel the detail can get lost doing it that way.  When I did watch stuff it was usually Streamline pictures stuff if it was dubbed.  Regardless of translation, they brought over some great movies and had good voice actors.  I am big on 3x3 Eyes, Robot Carnival, Fist of the North Star, Akira, Venus Wars, Wicked City, Goglo 13, Doomed Megalopolis, Crying Freeman, Castle of Count Cagliostro, Lensman.  I really love Lensman.  Titan A.E. is a total rip off of Lensman.  Also I am a huge Doc E. Smith fan, so it was nice to watch Lensman back when Streamline brought it out.  

Non streamline stuff I love is Green Legend Ran, Genocyber, Guyver, Baoh, Mermaid Scar, A.D. Police Files, Record of Lodoss War,  Dagger of Kamui, Battle Angel Alita, Otaku No Video, All of the Lupin anime, the Captain Harlock stuff, Crusher Joe, Project A-ko, Gunbuster, 5 Star Stories.  

Not really new, but it is newer than other anima I listed.  I love Spriggan.  The animation is freaking amazing!  Plus, I loved  the comic when Viz brought it over.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:18:23 AM by geise »