Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 31014 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2011, 10:51:19 AM »
Background noise? That's offensive. That's one of the last good TV anime...and its really good.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2011, 11:41:57 AM »
Background noise? That's offensive. That's one of the last good TV anime...and its really good.

I would stay up very late at night and leave it on in the background. I watched Lupin, and FLCL a bit, Watched Big O. Cowboy Bebop for one reason or another I never got into, probably because I didn't get to watch the episodes in order.
--DragonmasterDan

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2012, 04:18:27 AM »
I figured I'd revive this thread.

I just finished watching the whole series of Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

I may go on and watch the movie sequel next.

Has anyone else been watching any Anime lately?
--DragonmasterDan

Ji-L87

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2012, 05:05:26 AM »
Probably more than I can remember. I had an anime all nighter with a pair of friends last weekend, which we usually do every other friday, and we finished GitS: SAC 2. Seemed they didn't enjoy it as much as I did, but hawkeyed as they were, they also pointed out some flaws and agree with them. But then again, watching a show with someone else is a different experience than watching it alone.
I'm finding my suggestions for other shows vetoed though, and it seems shorter stuff is out of the question most of the time. Which is too bad, since I absolutely love me some easy to go through OVAs.

As for newer stuff, nothing right now. I followed Upotte! and Eureka Seven AO but the first one ended with a meh and the other I sort of dropped. I was reminded why I didn't like the first Eureka SeveN all that much and I sort of miss the funky underground-vibe.

Oh and Nadia, I was watching that some year ago but stopped...maybe halfway through? I just remember how the show turned all drama and I was having none of that :P Still, production values are pretty good. I guess that's Gainax for ya.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:10:25 AM by Ji-L87 »
CHECKPOINT!
There is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2012, 05:55:53 AM »
Nadia slows down in the middle...a LOT. Back in the day the fan subbers actually skipped a bunch of the "island episodes" because they are so boring and contribute little to the worth of the series. The ending is AMAZING though, so I recommend people stick with it. The movie though, is just garbage. You can skip that.

Lately I've been watching Space Brothers, which can been seen for free on Crunchy Roll. It's really good! For people who want something that isn't just pure shonen retred, check this out. The best show I've seen in a long time. It's a near future setting with two brothers that want to be astronauts. One already is, the other decides to go for it a bit latter in life after problems with his career.

Recently Gundam Unicorn 5 came out and things got pretty exciting with that show again, probably the best episode yet. The series has now been extended to 7 episodes total, so it will be finished in...2013. The only OVA I can think of that took longer to make this many episodes was Giant Robo: The Animation, and even then it wasn't actually planned that way, this is. I don't know of this series will turn out to be as good as GR, but it is pretty damned good.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2012, 05:56:25 AM »
SAILOR MOON.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Nando

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2012, 06:04:55 AM »
Persona 4

Tiger & Bunny

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2012, 06:16:51 AM »
Nadia slows down in the middle...a LOT. Back in the day the fan subbers actually skipped a bunch of the "island episodes" because they are so boring and contribute little to the worth of the series. The ending is AMAZING though, so I recommend people stick with it. The movie though, is just garbage. You can skip that.

I went through all the Island episodes, and the pointless trip to Africa before reaching the end. While those episodes were pretty much filler I at least got some entertainment value out of it. So maybe I'll enjoy the movie.

Have you seen the 10 Omake shorts?
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2012, 06:32:06 AM »

I went through all the Island episodes, and the pointless trip to Africa before reaching the end. While those episodes were pretty much filler I at least got some entertainment value out of it. So maybe I'll enjoy the movie.

Probably not. The island episodes were at least part of the original production. The movie is just some after the fact garbage with zero inspiration where basically nothing cool or interesting happens. I have a mook that shows some pre-production art that is really great, but nothing in the actual movie is good.

Have you seen the 10 Omake shorts?

I have. IIRC they aren't on the US DVD, but they are available online. I barely remember what they were, but I don't remember them being anything worth tracking down.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2012, 06:36:23 AM »

I have. IIRC they aren't on the US DVD, but they are available online. I barely remember what they were, but I don't remember them being anything worth tracking down.

I found them entertaining enough, they were really just there to provide some background knowledge about the series.
--DragonmasterDan

munchiaz

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2012, 06:52:40 AM »
Ive def fallen out of the loop when it comes to anime. I used to really be in to it, but time is really tight and i prefer my other hobbies. But here is a list of some of my favs that i think you guys should watch

Now and then, here and there (OVA short but really good and emotional)
Berserk (series. Great but has a lame ending and will make u want to start reading the manga)
Gundam 0080 war in a pocket (OVA. Really interesting Gundam story that is told from the perspective of a young boy)

420GOAT

« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2012, 06:58:59 AM »
violence jack is cool.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

djcouchycouch

« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2012, 07:08:08 AM »
I've been watching Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope) and Kyouka lately. Pretty light fare, but not bad so far.

geise

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2012, 07:42:32 AM »
Green Legend Ran and Lensman.  I finally broke down and captured my old streamline vhs copy of Lensman.  Titan A.E. is a total rip-off.  Green Legend Ran is a huge favorite of mine that really gets overlooked.  My wife and I finished Hakkenden.  I have always loved that series.  I still only have it on vhs.  There's a ton of really great old anime I have that never got re-released on DVD.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2012, 07:50:19 AM »
I have the US LD of Lensman. It's really good, and dual language, but it lacks any kind of subtitles which is a drag when other people who haven't seen it 500 times are watching it with me. Robot Carnival is the same way.

I also have the US Green Legend Ran LD box that came with the t-shirt and bonus stuff. I remember being a little disappointed with this show when it was new, but when I re-watched it recently I couldn't remember what my gripe was. It's actually pretty good, and I love the music. It's pretty impressive for how low the budget must have been on a 6800 yen Pioneer OVA.