Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 31096 times)

DragonmasterDan

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2012, 08:05:43 AM »
I've only seen the Harmony Gold Lensman, is the Streamline dub any beter?
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2012, 08:09:33 AM »
I've never seen the Harmony Gold version. It might be the same one.

All of Streemline's dubs were very good from the perspective of writing and timing and acting. The problem with them was always the script changes and horrible audio quality. Overall, I'd rather have a Streemline's dub than that French Canadian shit they have on TV now.

Overall though, dubs are basically for illiterate retards.

EDIT: ...and children under the age of 10.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:15:09 AM by SignOfZeta »

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2012, 08:15:27 AM »
I've never seen the Harmony Gold version. It might be the same one.

All of Streemline's dubs were very good from the perspective of writing and timing and acting. The problem with them was always the script changes and horrible audio quality. Overall, I'd rather have a Streemline's dub than that French Canadian shit they have on TV now.

Overall though, dubs are basically for illiterate retards.

I'm unaware of a subtitled version of Lensman, that was kind of why I was asking.

--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2012, 08:17:59 AM »
Yeah, most (all?) US anime LDs that have dual language also have either Closed Captions or the same program on another side with hard subs. The exception is Streamline. At least they included the JP track at all.

The other nice thing is that Streamline's LDs were all made by Lumavision, and they are very high quality overall. Compare this to, say, the stuff from AD Vision which is just garbage.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:20:12 AM by SignOfZeta »

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2012, 02:39:07 PM »
I'm still watching Naruto Shippuden.  Make fun of me if ya'll want, but I love that show.  I was watching Dragon Ball Z Kai, but it didn't finish the Frieza Saga, it started all over again, so I went & bought the first 2 seasons on Bluray.  I picked up the recent Marvel Anime stuff, but haven't watched them yet.  We did watch Trigun Badlands, though I was pretty tired, so I didn't get much out of it.  I've thought about watching shows like Bleach & One Piece, but haven't motivated myself, especially in regards to One Piece, I really do not like the character designs.  So, I've been watching Green Lantern, Young Justice, & Avenger's Earth's Mightiest Heroes lately.  They aren't anime, but they're great shows.  Oh, & I just finished the first season of the new Thundercats.  That's kinda anime, as I believe it was mostly made in Japan.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »
The old Thundercats was made mostly in Japan, I'm not sure if any anime is made mostly in Japan now except the Ghibli stuff and occasionally some big-time stuff like Oshii.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2012, 06:19:33 PM »
Ok, looks like it's half anime, "animation provided by the Japanese Studio 4°C" according to Wikipedia.

Ji-L87

« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2012, 07:32:29 PM »
The old Thundercats was made mostly in Japan, I'm not sure if any anime is made mostly in Japan now except the Ghibli stuff and occasionally some big-time stuff like Oshii.

Yeah, outsourcing sucks big time. Well, the good thing is that those guys in other countries get to level up their skills, but the backside of that is that those in Japan don't. I think the industry could use another wave of enthusiastic, overambitious youngsters who just want to go flipping bananas with a stack of paper and left over cels just to prove what they can do.

Well, I know there's a few of those guys out there but...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:40:56 PM by Ji-L87 »
CHECKPOINT!
There is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2012, 08:33:11 PM »
Well, without outsourcing we never would have had the original Thundercats in the first place, or Orbots, or GI Joe, or Transformers, Ulysses, The Last Unicorn, etc etc.

The next wave will, hopefully, be Koreans. They basically do all the 2D animation in the world at this point, and yet create virtually nothing for themselves.

NightWolve

« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2012, 08:56:58 PM »
ThunderCats = Made in Japan? Huh, didn't know that one. Loved the show as a kid - I can still remember ole Mumm-Ra's transformation routine and his laugh. ;)

Ji-L87

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2012, 12:17:51 AM »
ThunderCats = Made in Japan? Huh, didn't know that one. Loved the show as a kid - I can still remember ole Mumm-Ra's transformation routine and his laugh. ;)

The opening and ending theme is still so awesome, I wish I had it on CD.
CHECKPOINT!

Digi.k

« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2012, 02:52:09 AM »
I am liking fairy tale anime a lot..

can get some good stuff on here

http://www.animecrazy.net/

Quite enjoying Saint Seiya Omega show too

SignOfZeta

« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2012, 06:34:10 AM »

Like much of 80s toy cartoons the concepts, character design, direction, scripts, voice recording, etc where American, but the grunt work was done in Japan because the artists there could work for nothing and yet still draw on model. Japan was the Korea of the 80s. The same studio that did Thundercats also did The Last Unicorn, the Hobbit cartoons, and even Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind.

I just now found a great website detailing this:

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/fedgrame/english.htm

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2012, 01:57:16 AM »
I went through and watched the Nadia movie. It certainly didn't add anything to the series, but it wasn't terrible either. I'm going to finally finish watching the rest of the Cowboy Bebop episodes.
--DragonmasterDan

Ji-L87

« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2012, 02:42:21 AM »
I went through and watched the Nadia movie. It certainly didn't add anything to the series, but it wasn't terrible either. I'm going to finally finish watching the rest of the Cowboy Bebop episodes.

Greatness. The Cowboy Bebop movie is also well worth checking out.
CHECKPOINT!