Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 31108 times)

RegalSin

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2012, 05:47:39 AM »
It does not matter what we look for, they know what you look for, they are the ones who uploads it. They store it, and then when a new law passes, they come looking for you. Art is not a western thing, unless it is Monalisa, nothing of comic book origin, is loved, or like whatsoever.

They just want us to OBEY, like sheep that has been clean shaven. That is all. I am not talking about any NEC nonsense. It is like that animation with the notebook, the moment  they know your name, all they have to do, is just write it down.

Remember thirteen Warrior. They are not monsters, they are humans.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2012, 05:13:32 PM »
I just watched Windaria, it was decent though it had an obviously intentionally depressing ending. Thanks for the recommendation.
--DragonmasterDan

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2012, 07:40:37 PM »
Jin Roh, Macross Plus, Interstella 5555, Cowboy Bebop (the movie), Macross Frontier, and Big O are some of my favs.  I also like SDF Macross, Gundam 0079, and Gundam Wing.  I've been getting into Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood lately, as well.
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2012, 05:07:25 AM »
I just watched Windaria, it was decent though it had an obviously intentionally depressing ending. Thanks for the recommendation.
Glad to hear you got some form of entertainment out of it.

Also here's another recommendation from 1986.
Ai City (1986)

This movie is one of my favorite B movies!
With all personal reasons for liking it aside, it's an okay movie with allot of trippy 80's Japanese animation. Which is always a plus for me.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 05:04:28 AM by Burnt Lasagna »
http://burntprojects.wordpress.com/
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2012, 05:08:41 AM »
That was a really popular release when it came out here but yeah it's way to depressing for my taste
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2012, 03:32:33 AM »
I haven't seen Robot Carnival in about 17-18 years. I'm going to try and watch that for the first time in ages.
--DragonmasterDan

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2012, 03:56:04 AM »
I saw Robot Carnival sometime last year. Great collection of short films that's for sure!

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2012, 11:55:29 PM »
I picked up "Memories" yesterday. Is anyone familiar with it?
--DragonmasterDan

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2012, 02:07:25 AM »
Is anyone familiar with it?
I am! Love that collection of short films! Especially the first one, which I believe was directed by Satoshi Kon. The man behind Paprika and Millennium Actress.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2012, 06:21:02 AM »
Yeah, Memories is pretty great. One of the last great theatrical anime.

Lately I've been into Space Brothers. Its a realistic near future story about two guys who made a deal to both become astronauts and go to the moon when they were children, but only one seems to be making it. Its one of the best shows I've seen in ages. You can watch it on Crunchyroll for free.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2012, 06:07:43 AM »
I just watched "From up on Poppy Hill" I thought it was pretty good.
--DragonmasterDan

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2012, 06:11:56 AM »
I wish I had all my issues of Animerica still.... My wife had me get rid of them when we were clearing out stuf but I really miss them. I had every issue from 94-96 plus a ton of other issues from earlier years. Anyone else read that magazine back in the day? I also read TokyoPop, but it wasn't around for very long.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

SignOfZeta

« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2012, 02:33:36 PM »
I wish I had all my issues of Animerica still.... My wife had me get rid of them when we were clearing out stuf but I really miss them. I had every issue from 94-96 plus a ton of other issues from earlier years. Anyone else read that magazine back in the day? I also read TokyoPop, but it wasn't around for very long.

I have a significant number of the early years stuff. It was the only national anime magazine back then so even though it was mostly just a mouthpiece rag for the parent company I was very excited to get it every month. I also have quite a few issues of Anime UK.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2012, 03:28:29 PM »
I loved reading Galaxy Espress 999 every month. My mom worked at Borders back then and I'd go there and read all the manga.  I fell in love with Battle Angel Alita. Too bad that one didn't get a good anime release, just that one kinda lame OAV. Now when I go to a book store and see the manga it's all girl stuff and naruto. None of that dark edgy stuff from the 80s and 90s. Back then all the manga on the shelf was dark, only romance stuff was like Ranma, Kimagure Orange Road and Ah My Goddess.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2012, 04:04:35 PM »
Yeah, mainly what's at the store now is shounen/shoujo shite. The times are a lot different too, but what gets picked up for US localization is...not as great as it could be.