Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30606 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »
I've been buying tons of laserdiscs lately. I'm most of the way through the Dirty Pair box (TV + the 10 ep OVA series). I've been re-watching Gundam 0083 and Aim for the Top!. I got the Sherlock Hound LD box the other day too, which will take me a while to blow through.

Also, Gundam Unicorn EP6, I'll be watching that tomorrow. Loud. With one EP every 6 months you have to make them count. :)

The next big LD box for me is あらいぐまラスカル

Nando

« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2013, 10:58:33 AM »
0083 Ftw!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2013, 03:21:48 PM »
Honestly, 0083 isn't very good. The animation is very very good, and its probably the best looking Gundam on Laserdisc, but most of the characters pretty much suck. I still respect it for being such a grandiose project though. A very aggressively priced OVA with terrific animation and a whopping 13 episodes...its pretty amazing. They never pulled off anything like that again. Even 08th MS Team was kind of cheap looking by comparison.

I just find the politics kind of boring, most of the twists and turns not all that twisty and turny and the compete lack of newtype metaphysics to be a let down.

nectarsis

« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2013, 03:32:43 PM »
not to mentiom 0083 hasePIC suit designs...Xamel FTW!!
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

SignOfZeta

« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2013, 03:37:40 PM »
The best MS in 0083 are shoved into the background. They did such a great job updating the Zakus and GMs and only the grunts use them. The Xamel is really really coo, but you see it for 3 seconds. The Gerbera Tetra is magnificent (PC Engine related!) but it only shows up near the end.

My favorite is the GM Powered.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
I've been buying tons of laserdiscs lately. I'm most of the way through the Dirty Pair box (TV + the 10 ep OVA series). I've been re-watching Gundam 0083 and Aim for the Top!. I got the Sherlock Hound LD box the other day too, which will take me a while to blow through.

I've watched about half the Sherlock Hound episodes. I like it a lot. Nice pickup on the LDs.
--DragonmasterDan

xelement5x

« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2013, 06:49:07 AM »

The next big LD box for me is あらいぐまラスカル

Heh, I picked up the Rascal SFC game a couple months ago because it's supposed to be a pretty fun puzzle game, but never found the show.  I heard that's the one that caused a lot of people to import raccoons as pets and then eventually release them, totally screwing parts of the ecosystem in Japan.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

SignOfZeta

« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2013, 06:58:55 AM »
Yeah, they're culling 10,000 raccoons a year in Japan because of that f*cking show.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2013, 07:09:07 AM »
I may re-watch Bubblegum Crisis for the first time in a long time (15-20 years). I actually re-watched episode 1. I also picked up Bubblegum Crash as well, which I've never seen
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2013, 07:10:21 AM »
Try not to get too mad about how bad Crash sucked. :)

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2013, 07:11:56 AM »
Try not to get too mad about how bad Crash sucked. :)

Ah, is it that bad? I was thinking of picking up AD police as well. Any opinions on it?
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2013, 09:05:10 AM »
It's not super terrible, but it's not very good. The three episodes were produced at a much smaller budget. Also, whereas each episode of Crisis is different from the others, totally different plots, new characters, different running times, each one feeling like a stand alone movie almost, Crash is clearly one long low budget episode broken up into three parts. It's still totally worth getting, but the difference in quality from Scoop Chase to Crash is...considerable.

AD Police doesn't even resemble either show though. IMO it sucks.

xelement5x

« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2013, 03:58:37 AM »
Lol, someday I'll finish Nadia but I watched half of the Oh My Goddess OVA on Laserdisc the other night, hopefully I'll finish the other couple episodes this weekend.  Watching old AnimEigo releases is such a nostalgia bomb.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

SeymorOnion

« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2013, 06:33:24 PM »
I'm not sure if these have been mentioned yet, but here goes, in alphabetical order:

A Little Snow Fairy Sugar
Angelic Layer

Bottle Fairy

Cardcaptor Sakura

Diamond Daydreams

Fancy Lala
Figure 17

Kaliedo Star

Magical Meow Meow Taruto
Mao-Chan
Medabots

Nanaka 6/17