Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 31087 times)

wildfruit

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #195 on: August 29, 2013, 03:41:28 AM »

The art style reminds me of Katsuhiro Otomo's work (Akira.)
he did the character design they are quite remenant of akira's characters but not so angry

xelement5x

« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2013, 03:47:29 AM »
Otomo did do Freedom.  I second it as a very cool OVA to watch, I really enjoyed it.  Like wildfruit said though, if you can get ahold of a HD version it is totally the way to go.  The entire thing looks amazing, and you can see the advances they made after releasing Steamboy. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

cybercross

« Reply #197 on: August 29, 2013, 08:13:10 AM »
I think that's the first time I've seen someone complain about subs, instead of the reverse... :mrgreen:
When it comes to popular, nostalgic anime like Dragon Ball Z, YuYu Hakusho, Akira, Etc., this happens a LOT. You'll be surprised about how people bitch & moan about the original versions of these shows.

(I'm too weeaboo for dubs)
You and me both.

Ji-L87

« Reply #198 on: September 01, 2013, 05:11:31 AM »
Hrm....speaking of nostalgic, classic anime...
I just started watching City Hunter. Quite enjoying it so far, just seen ep. 19 of the first season.  I think I've avoided it before because it seemed a bit long and I wasn't sure I'd like it. I read a bit of the manga once and I wasn't head over heels (but I am a fan of some of his other works, like Family Compo) but I just remembered a guy I knew a few years back who said it was pretty much the best thing ever so I'm giving the anime a shot. And it's pretty good.

Will give the manga another shot later : )
CHECKPOINT!
There is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2013, 05:25:23 AM »
I just finished the final episode of Future Boy Conan. Absolutely stellar!
--DragonmasterDan

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #200 on: September 22, 2013, 01:03:57 PM »
I finished L Gaim. I was thinking about jumping into Gundam. Should I start with the first series or something like Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam or ZZ. I like Tomino's style from the mid-late 80s, that's why I was thinking about jumping into one of those two. Any suggestions or recommendations for something else?
I'm in the mood for more serious sci-fi/drama stuff
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

SuperDeadite

« Reply #201 on: September 22, 2013, 01:30:01 PM »
If you want to watch Gundam, watch the 3 Gundam movies.  Unless you become a super fan, don't bother with the TV series, which is more about selling toys then anything else.

I'd say.
1.  3 Gundam movies
2.  Zeta
3.  Char's Counter Attack
4.  0083
5.  08th MS Team

ZZ is optional imo.  It's a comedy, Zeta is really dark and f*cked up, so I can see why they chose this path, but it feels very out of place.  I found 0080 to be quite pointless.  As for AU series.  Turn A is amazing, but the more of the other AU's you watch first, the more you'll like it.  X being my favorite, though a bit flawed towards the end.  And G is simply badass.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

SignOfZeta

« Reply #202 on: September 23, 2013, 07:59:56 AM »
I agree that the movies are the best place to start with the original series, but I disagree that the series they are made from is worthless. It's a great show and while several plot points drag on too long (and those G parts sequences are really repetitious and stupid) there is also a lot gained from some of the story arcs being longer.

I also really love 0080. It shows a different side of the UC universe and does it with Hal character designs.

Mzo

« Reply #203 on: September 23, 2013, 08:02:06 AM »
I think Nichijou (My Ordinary Life) might be one of the best anime series I've ever watched.

>_>

Ji-L87

« Reply #204 on: September 23, 2013, 11:39:29 PM »
I think Nichijou (My Ordinary Life) might be one of the best anime series I've ever watched.

>_>

It's certainly something else.

And well animated. So, obviously it didn't sell that good :/
CHECKPOINT!
There is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Mzo

« Reply #205 on: September 24, 2013, 09:14:22 AM »
Right now I'm watching Attack on Titan, same as everyone else.  It starts off super interesting and almost feels like a Junji Ito story... but then a certain plot twist happens and it reminds you that it's a Shonen Jump story at heart.  It's still really well done and one of the few instances where I far prefer the anime to the manga.

I'm also really surprised at the third season of The World God Only Knows.  I really liked the first two seasons but the third is easily my favorite.  They do this weird thing where they skip a ton of the manga and sum it up as quickly as possible before getting to the goddesses storyline, but everything happening now is so good.  I liked it so much I bought a skull hairpin like Elsie's ._.

I've also been really, really enjoying the second season of Oreimo.  It's basically devolved into a harem anime at this point, but it's fun to watch.  I think I have an unhealthy fake cartoon crush on kuroneko .-.

Nando

« Reply #206 on: September 24, 2013, 10:17:49 AM »

I'm also really surprised at the third season of The World God Only Knows.  I really liked the first two seasons but the third is easily my favorite.  They do this weird thing where they skip a ton of the manga and sum it up as quickly as possible before getting to the goddesses storyline, but everything happening now is so good.  I liked it so much I bought a skull hairpin like Elsie's ._.

I'm so out of the loop. Gonna try and catch this one and Oreimo.

xelement5x

« Reply #207 on: October 01, 2013, 05:36:05 AM »
So I've been watching some more recent anime.  

I finished watching RIN ~Daughters of Mnemosyne~ on Neflix and it was okay/good.  There was of lot of gratuitous sex/nudity though that I didn't really feel added too much to the story, and was almost shoehorned in.  Story was decent and the animation was quite nice, but some parts of it were almost uncomfortable to watch.

Since Halloween is coming up, the wife and I decided to watch Ghost Hunt.  It's actually quite good, has 3-4 episode arcs to tell each story, and all the characters are pretty likable.  The animation is nothing stellar, but works to set the mood for each of the stories.  It reminds me a bit of Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales but with a modern setting and plenty of humor as well to balance everything.

This did get me thinking though, has anyone else watched Ayakashi or Mononoke (not Princess Mononoke)?  They're both very good series that seem to have minimal recognition.  The art style for Mononoke specifically is amazing, and the stories are very fun. 
Edit:
Oh, and I forgot about Mushishi which is also very neat to watch.  All of these series are more akin to short stories than anything though.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:54:19 AM by xelement5x »
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

TR0N

« Reply #208 on: October 01, 2013, 09:23:09 PM »
So I've been watching some more recent anime. 
Since Halloween is coming up, the wife and I decided to watch Ghost Hunt.  It's actually quite good, has 3-4 episode arcs to tell each story, and all the characters are pretty likable.  The animation is nothing stellar, but works to set the mood for each of the stories.  It reminds me a bit of Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales but with a modern setting and plenty of humor as well to balance everything.
I been watching ghost hunt as well on netflik recently.With it's super natural theme it's not that bad either.You get a episode that can be rather silly,then it being very serious.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:35:50 PM by TR0N »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

xelement5x

« Reply #209 on: October 04, 2013, 04:24:33 AM »
Just finished Ghost Hunt and I'd give it a 3.5/5 maybe.  Definitely enjoyable but don't go into it expecting a masterpiece.  Like TR0N said it can be a bit inconsistent on the style.

Now to finish watching Toradora before diving into all the new anime I grabbed at Entertainmart!