Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 31373 times)

HailingTheThings

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2014, 12:03:32 PM »
Genesis survivor Gaiarth looks pretty cool, too bad there's not a proper DVD release for it in NA, I found a listing for decent quality bootlegs, however.

NessFreaK

« Reply #241 on: April 23, 2014, 08:56:42 AM »
I am just curious if anyone else here collects anime? If not, what difference do you think there is between collecting video games and collecting anime? Because I find that people who actually buy anime are few and far between ...

munchiaz

« Reply #242 on: April 23, 2014, 09:17:14 AM »
I am just curious if anyone else here collects anime? If not, what difference do you think there is between collecting video games and collecting anime? Because I find that people who actually buy anime are few and far between ...

One reason why i stopped buying anime is because its so expensive. $30 for a dvd with a little over an hour a footage. I could never stomach that price

xelement5x

« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2014, 10:28:13 AM »

One reason why i stopped buying anime is because its so expensive. $30 for a dvd with a little over an hour a footage. I could never stomach that price

It's gotten a lot better in the last several years.  Publishers release stuff as sets much more reasonably priced now, and the second hand market has a solid 15 years of stuff so used is pretty affordable.  You really only get into problems when a license on something popular expires, no one else picks it up, and no more discs are being reprinted.  Then the finite supply goes nuts on certain volumes for people trying to own it all.

I don't actively collect anime like I do games because of the sheer amount and the space involved, but I have a solid collection of stuff all the way back to some VHS.  Most of it is in boxes though at this point.  I'm probably most proud of all the Ah My Goddess stuff: OVA on LaserDisc, Both Seasons (one signed by the character design/cheif animation director), Mini goddess set, etc. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2014, 10:40:25 AM »
I mostly collect particular series/directors works. I have a fair amount of anime DVDs but nowhere near as much NessFreaK and even less organized.
--DragonmasterDan

xelement5x

« Reply #245 on: July 29, 2014, 03:37:35 AM »
Bump from the mists of time!

I've watched a couple things recently off Netflix.  First was Baka and Test.  It's a goofy comedy show with a school setting that's pretty fun if you don't take it too seriously. 

However, the other title (which I'm still watching) is Knights of Sidonia, and it is great.  It's seinen and has a deep sci-fi feel to it which I haven't felt for a long time in any shows.  Story wise it's very engaging, and most of the characters are pretty well done for what I've seen.  Stylistically it looks phenomenal.  If you've ever seen FREEDOM, it uses a similar kind of style to create the cell shaded 3D animation look, blended with some traditional drawings from my understanding.  Definitely worth the watch on Netflix if you've already got an account, and the opening song is pretty badass.  :D
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Nando

« Reply #246 on: July 29, 2014, 07:16:45 AM »

However, the other title (which I'm still watching) is Knights of Sidonia, and it is great. 

I've had a lot of people recommend me that and Kill-A-Kill (sp?)

xelement5x

« Reply #247 on: July 29, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »

However, the other title (which I'm still watching) is Knights of Sidonia, and it is great. 

I've had a lot of people recommend me that and Kill-A-Kill (sp?)

Heh, Kill-La-Kill is on Netflix too and I watched that a month or so ago as well.  The animation style in that is very crazy, and lots of ecchi and fanservice shots but it is still a fun romp.  If you liked Gurren Laggann you will probably thoroughly enjoy Kill-La-Kill.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #248 on: July 30, 2014, 01:32:43 AM »
I had stopped a long time ago buying anime due to price ....

But that has recently changed. Prices are reasonable and I feel I can finally afford to own complete sets of some of my favorit anime series, movies and OVAs.

The only problem now is I have amassed such a large and complete downloaded collection in DVD and Bluray I find it hard to drop down cash on stuff I already have on a hard drive where I can stream on my tv and just sit back and watch without ever having to swap out a DVD or change a feature to sub or dub....

With that said my collection is steadily growing. Mostly in Bluray because why not..it's typically priced the same as DVD collections especially the SAVE collections which apart from the fugly green save label on the spine are great deals.

-Evangelon movies first two
-black butler season 1 & 2
-robotech season 1, 2, 3, 4, 7 (missing 5-6)
-brotherhood complete
-and more...

Still want to get my hands on a lot of other stuff. Pretty much all of the SAVE library

geise

« Reply #249 on: July 30, 2014, 07:52:30 AM »

No La Blue Girl/Inju Gakuen?  No Urotsukidoji?  No Angel of Darkness?  No Rei Rei?  No Ogenki Clinic?  Where are the classics?

Medic_wheat

« Reply #250 on: July 30, 2014, 11:59:58 AM »
Ok I know you we kidding hut

Ogenki Clinic. Is freaking funny

Also WHAT?!? No bible black?

xelement5x

« Reply #251 on: August 05, 2014, 10:09:39 AM »
Lol, the only hentai type anime I can ever remember watching was Dragon Pink on VHS back in the day.  That was still quite funny though.

ultrageranium

TR0N

« Reply #253 on: August 06, 2014, 07:31:11 PM »
Bump from the mists of time!

However, the other title (which I'm still watching) is Knights of Sidonia, and it is great.  It's seinen and has a deep sci-fi feel to it which I haven't felt for a long time in any shows.  Story wise it's very engaging, and most of the characters are pretty well done for what I've seen.  Stylistically it looks phenomenal.  If you've ever seen FREEDOM, it uses a similar kind of style to create the cell shaded 3D animation look, blended with some traditional drawings from my understanding.  Definitely worth the watch on Netflix if you've already got an account, and the opening song is pretty badass.  :D
This i finished watching it recently and i heard there will be a 2nd season.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

xelement5x

« Reply #254 on: November 10, 2014, 04:23:19 AM »
I recently watched Arpeggio of Blue Steel on Netflix, it's a 12 episode series which is pretty entertaining.  The best description I can think of would be like Vocaloids X Battleship. 

In the anime certain naval ships have "mental models" which are basically human representations of the ships, and they all happen to be attractive looking young women with semi-ridiculous outfits.  There's a definite strategy feel to to the happenings in the show.  I had time to kill over several days so I didn't mind watching it. 

Will probably go back to something a bit more traditional now.  I haven't watched Evangelion or Berserk again in a long time so I might pull those out.